Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thongvua View Post
    The hits continued this week when Ballmer spewed: "In every category Apple competes, it's the low-volume player, except in tablets. In the PC market, obviously the advantage of diversity has mattered since 90-something percent of PCs that get sold are Windows PCs. We'll see what winds up mattering in tablets". (story via the Wall Street Journal)

Is this really the right mentality for an underdog trying to catch up? MSFT wake up!
    True. It's not like Apple or Google ever talked trash about Microsoft when they were the underdogs or anything like that...

I guess Ballmer, in your world, should be saying "our products, especially our WP8 keyboard, SUCK. And we're a tiny insignificant bit player. But we hope to get better. I don't want to talk trash, I am the underdog after all." :P
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,472 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    And for the record, WP7/7.5 uses text prediction algorithms to "guess" what key you're going to press and then enlarges the hit zone to increase accuracy, so they in fact HAVE tried to reduce the need for their excellent autocorrect software.
    *thud*

Are you actually serious!? How was I not aware of this!?

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    If any of you have a chance to type on the virtual keyboard in NoDo (instead of Mango or Tango), notice how much more accurate it is. My first device was the HTC Arrive, with a physical keyboard, and the virtual keyboard was so good that I could type without looking at the screen with high accuracy...

When Mango dropped, one of the first bugs I noticed was the drop in accuracy in the virtual keyboard. Microsoft said they implemented an algorithm for touch point prediction, but it made it worse IMO; I wish they would've never touch the darn thing and left it alone, as it was literally the perfect keyboard IMO. Tango is no better, and I'm hoping they made improvements in Windows Phone 8 (I actually voiced this in the suggestion box to improve the keyboard accuracy back to "NoDo days"), so I have hope that they fixed it/restored it to pre-Mango/Tango.

... I still hate the accuracy of Windows Phone keyboards, because at times it makes mistakes that are completely away from my touch point when I type (and the rate of speed I use to type on NoDo has dropped due to having to watch my words and make sure they're accurate).
    THANK YOU for your comment. I debated bringing this up because when I installed Mango I immediately noticed a decrease in my typing accuracy. So much that I posted about it in the WPCentral forums. I think only one or two forum members agreed with me and another one gave me the benefit of the doubt. It's one of those things that I knew something was off but hardly anyone agreed.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I wonder if the Mango switchover had a hardware bug with some handsets...

Quote Originally Posted by thongvua View Post
    I notice that MSFT has not improved the keyboard design in WP8, and not likely to allow 3rd party keyboard to be installed.
    I have a Lumia 900 with 4.3" and I constantly making typo and the tying experience is a lot worse than my HTC G2 Android with 3.7" screen.
    I wonder myself why something like that can happen? It's in the keyboard design, for some reason Keys in WP seem to be narrower, harder to see, and all 3 of the bottom rows somehow were aligned in the same vertical lines, which is not the case with the G2. Keyboards in Iphone 3.5" display was also easy to use.
    This is a major input issue consider this is the all touch OS.
    Anyone has any idea whether this issue will be addressed?
    I do find iPhone and iOS devices in general having TS keyboard i make the least of mistakes. Though i do find my Lumia 800 better than on my old GS. Not a problem really for me, but it is indeed something MSF should improve. Goal after all isn't to be about as good or just as good, but better.

In general i hope we see a much faster phase on improving those little things with this new kernel, we will see.

I should say i never use autocorrect on any of my gadgets. Hate the whole feature.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    THANK YOU for your comment. I debated bringing this up because when I installed Mango I immediately noticed a decrease in my typing accuracy. So much that I posted about it in the WPCentral forums. I think only one or two forum members agreed with me and another one gave me the benefit of the doubt. It's one of those things that I knew something was off but hardly anyone agreed.
    This is interesting. I did not jump to WP before Lumia 800 and i to this day make mistakes that just make no sense to me and they occur time after time. To me it has always felt like there's too much software interference. I can write on my iPhone slightly faster and make no mistakes, and that's on a smaller screen.
    Last edited by tissotti; 11-02-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    aubreyq likes this.

Coming from having an iPhone for three years before I got a Focus two years ago when WP launched, I will say that I type way better with WP's keyboard. It's not just the auto-correct that's better, but all the different choice of words that pop up above the keyboard as you type. It's rare I've ever had to type a whole word because of the great predictive text.

From Joe's demo videos, WP8 takes it a step further by having not only predictive text, but predictive word flow.
    Last edited by MaulerX; 11-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    The iOS, Android and even the HTC keyboard (which I used to think was the best.) are absolutely horrible in comparison to the WP keyboard. Always a frustrating experience typing on those devices . I didn't notice any decrease in accuracy since mango however.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    FWIW, I don't have any post-Mango updates on my phone (thanks AT&T, btw). I don't know if any of the post-Mango updates have keyboard accuracy adjustments or not.

Another thing: Like most people in this forum, I don't have a WP8. It's possible that WP8 has improved accuracy, plus the flagships have bigger screens than my Focus so this could become a non-issue or a less aggravating issue when I get my 920.

The update that fixed the disappearing keyboard bug also fixed the accuracy back to Nodo standards. My heart goes out to ATT users still having to deal with this issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinleeds View Post
    *thud*

Are you actually serious!? How was I not aware of this!?

I am, in fact serious. I can't remember where I read it, as it was over a year ago... Trying to find the link now, sadly, would be needle in haystack.

Also, the thud made me think sarcasm but I assumed genuine surprise based on the lack of /s or :/.
    I'm one of those that are still not used to using the WP keyboard. Former iPhone user.
    aubreyq likes this.

My accuracy has stayed the since since pre-nodo to 7.5. I wouldn't want to use any other keyboard and the autocorrect just knows exactly what I'm typing. Ive had smartphones since the first PDAs and I have to say that the WP keyboard is the best. Not many people have wp8 yet cause it hasn't launched.
    The Windows Phone keyboard was a godsend when I moved from my Galaxy S and SwiftKey. You can't beat a keyboard that inputs almost always what you are typing most of the time. I like how the autocorrection on the keyboard is way more realistic than these on Android software keyboards. Can't have too many bad things to talk about it.

I can't say I've ever typed on a WP (my family is just now considering upgrading to smartphones), but my little brother's iPod 4th-gen iPod touch is nearly impossible for me to type on. It's not a problem with all touchscreen typing either-- I have no problems using the touchscreen keyboard on my girlfriend's Android. I don't really see how WP typing could be worse than iCrap typing.
    I've also thought of going back to android because of the horrible keyboard on WP its a major issue That im surprised MS haven't addressed I thought it was just me lol.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I find that the German keyboard - or better: word prediction - leaves alot to be desired. I find it much easier to use the English one. The German word prediction would often give me completely idiotic suggestions and wouldn't recognize many words I (try) to use. What I want, really want, is something that works like swipe on android. THAT'S a brilliant keyboard.

Keyboards must be a very subjective thing. I for one have no problems at all with WP's and consider the autocorrect to be one of the best around. I did change the settings a bit though. I didn't like the extra space added automatically. But that may be a German issue, because we build monster-words from smaller ones. Is the issue in general language specific, maybe? I only know and really like the German, English and French keyboards.

Btw, I typed this on the fly without once going back myself to correct a typo. WP caught 'em. I like poking fun at my GS3 friends for sending me texts that read like they were written with (dammit, here I hit one letter too many and WP would have gone for "worth") Windows XP handwriting recognition.

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    The onboard dictionary of WP Keyboard is very good. But still I find my Wife's Galaxy S2 keyboard easier to type compared to my Lumia 900 keyboard because of 2 reasons.

1) WP keyboard doesn't have swipe
    2) While selecting a word or when carat is there in middle it is easy to select because of that thick bar which comes right underneath the carat which makes selecting very easy. With WP that bar is missing it very difficult to select. In fact till now I am unable to move letter by letter in my Lumia 900
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

Global Posts
    2,279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    In fact till now I am unable to move letter by letter in my Lumia 900
    This has baffled me a lot! I just recently got a WP7,5 phone from my friend and apparently there is like.. no way to move into the middle of the word if you typoed just one letter in the middle? Perhaps u can poke it with ur finger and hope u end in the middle, but usually it just selects the whole word.

It's so weird.. why would you not have some buttoms to move between the letters?

Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    This has baffled me a lot! I just recently got a WP7,5 phone from my friend and apparently there is like.. no way to move into the middle of the word if you typoed just one letter in the middle? Perhaps u can poke it with ur finger and hope u end in the middle, but usually it just selects the whole word.

It's so weird.. why would you not have some buttoms to move between the letters?
    You just click and hold and you get a cursor, which can then move to where you want to edit. Easy!
    Thanked by:
    maverick786us likes this.

Global Posts
    2,279 Global Posts
    Holy ****! Thanks for the tip!
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and maverick786us like this.

I am a WP user who switched from Android last year when the Lumia 800 came out. Although I love WP, I have to say apart from the notification centre, the keyboard is the only other thing I miss about Android. I'm not talking about the stock android keyboard though.

I think Swype is by far the best smartphone keyboards I've ever used. With some practice, you can have really good speed and accuracy with just one thumb when using Swype. And now android 4.2 has done something like swype but even better.

I don't have much complaints about the stock WP keyboard (apart from some niggles here and there), but I really wish they would allow 3rd party keyboards (like swype, swiftkey) to be installed.

Notification centre and swype on WP would make my life complete :)
    Last edited by tarekw; 11-05-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Changed title

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    My cousin has a WP. The only thing I notice was that the keyboard reminded me of my Zune HD and that it didnt go into landscape mode on twitter. Other than that it was a pretty good keyboard.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    The update that fixed the disappearing keyboard bug also fixed the accuracy back to Nodo standards. My heart goes out to ATT users still having to deal with this issue...
    It definitely fixed the drop, but not the accuracy for me. Typing this message on my Tango Lumia 900, the touchpoint prediction is horrible, and I have to type extremely slow because of it. Autocorrect help, but it occurs more frequently. It was like before, I could type and I would only see autocorrect work like once. Now when I type I see autocorrect having to correct words all the time, which wasn't the case before Mango...

Odd, I have owned several android devices in the past and i find that typing on my lumia 710 (3.7 inch screen) is far easier and more accurate then any of my android phones. If i may ask, do you type one-handed?

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdonkey View Post
    You just click and hold and you get a cursor, which can then move to where you want to edit. Easy!
    the only way to move the cursor is by touching it there is not up, down, right and left key in on screen keyboard.
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast