Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mystictrust

It appears the restrictions for custom ringtones have been loosened.

If you can play a sound file on your phone, it isn't protected with digital rights management (DRM), and it’s smaller than 30 MB, then you can use it as a ringtone on your phone.
    On Mango, the ringtone was restricted to being smaller than 1 MB, 39 seconds, MP3 or WMA only, and DRM-free.

I remember a lot of complaining about the restrictions way back when. Looks like people can upload any song they want without editing (good for those who may just want the first 30 seconds of a song to play or something) or use higher quality bitrates in their ringtones, or use any file format the phone supports. Nice!

Add ringtones to my phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Also, it'll be easier to add ringtones:
    3.Find a sound file on your PC (for example, music files are often in the Music folder and organized by artist and album), and then drag the file into the Ringtones folder.
    Last edited by Mystictrust; 10-30-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added info for drag-n-drop
    AngryNil likes this.

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    It appears the restrictions for custom ringtones have been loosened.

On Mango, the ringtone was restricted to being smaller than 1 MB, 39 seconds, MP3 or WMA only, and DRM-free.

I remember a lot of complaining about the restrictions way back when. Looks like people can upload any song they want without editing (good for those who may just want the first 30 seconds of a song to play or something) or use higher quality bitrates in their ringtones, or use any file format the phone supports. Nice!

Add ringtones to my phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
    Is it possible to use custom sounds for any other type of notification (email/text, etc) or just phone calls?

Global Posts
    2,272 Global Posts
    And is it possible to assign people with different ringtones? I like to give people "fitting" ringtones and also know who is calling before I even get my hands on the phone.

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    And is it possible to assign people with different ringtones? I like to give people "fitting" ringtones and also know who is calling before I even get my hands on the phone.
    This is possible on 7.5. In the people hub tap edit and then tap ringtone.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    So they are listening to people's complaints. Hopefully next time around they'll add custom alerts and let you customize notifications/alerts more (like choose between ring & vibrate or vibrate then ring, setup a do not distrurb/quiet time, etc). Oh, and a notification LED (or a Windows home button that glows as one) please! One that can be turned off of course.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Can notifications be given custom sounds now or is it still limited to the ring?