Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By PG2G
  • 5 Post By brmiller1976
  • 1 Post By hcoreyh
  • 1 Post By VagrantWade
  1.    #1  
    Came across this tweet from someone I follow on Twitter. I looked at the picture - https://twitter.com/intellectbadass/...07894785761280

The settings menu has glitch!

I know they've ignored to iron out what needed fixing in WP7 like browser forward button etc, but I hope they don't introduce these sort of glitches on top of it.

Anyone else being able to reproduce this? I was able to on my upgraded Dell.

More likely an issue with Google Chrome than it is Windows 8.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Why would anybody run Chrome? You might as well record every web site you visit, along with your username and password, and mail it to the Advertising Foundation of America. :)
  4.    #4  
    I've personally installed Chrome on my Dell too after using IE10 for a few hours. Only because I cannot block adverts on IE10. How do you guys block ads on IE10?

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I've personally installed Chrome on my Dell too after using IE10 for a few hours. Only because I cannot block adverts on IE10. How do you guys block ads on IE10?
    The default for the pop-up blocker is medium, if you click on the Tools menu in IE10 you can turn this up to High. For other adverts there are add-ons.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Narr View Post
    The default for the pop-up blocker is medium, if you click on the Tools menu in IE10 you can turn this up to High. For other adverts there are add-ons.
    Thanks, how do I add add-ons though?

Are you talking about IE10 on desktop or Metro IE10? I'm more interested in Metro IE10 really. Not used it on desktop :/

For some reason I've started to dislike desktop in less than 36 hours of Windows 8 ;)
    Thanks, how do I add add-ons though?

Are you talking about IE10 on desktop or Metro IE10? I'm more interested in Metro IE10 really. Not used it on desktop :/

For some reason I've started to dislike desktop in less than 36 hours of Windows 8 ;)
    Given that you are so used to Metro...

The settings menu for individual apps (eg. google chrome) are handled completely individually. This is a flaw in Google's design.
    TheDvlsAdvc8 likes this.
  9.    #9  
    So what that pic shows is different to what charms menu (settings) are?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    So what that pic shows is different to what charms menu (settings) are?
    I have no idea what he is looking at in that picture, but that isn't the charms menu.

Also, If you want ads blocked just install Simple-Adblock.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    I have no idea what he is looking at in that picture, but that isn't the charms menu.

Also, If you want ads blocked just install Simple-Adblock.
    Simple-adblock for IE10? Is that this paid version that had really poor reviews during RC release? or am I mixing things up?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Simple-adblock for IE10? Is that this paid version that had really poor reviews during RC release? or am I mixing things up?
    No idea what you are referring to. Simple-Adblock has always been the best adblock application for IE and it's free.

Only drawback is that after the first 30 days it will only block up to 200 ads a day with the free version. I have never personally exceeded that though.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I'm noticing an emerging theme.

When Windows Phone had fewer apps, but the apps were well-polished with outstanding UI, Apple people screamed that only quantity matters.

Now that Windows 8 has a jaw-dropping quantity of apps in just a few days, Apple people are screaming that only quality matters.

I do wish they'd make up their minds! ;)

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I'm noticing an emerging theme.

When Windows Phone had fewer apps, but the apps were well-polished with outstanding UI, Apple people screamed that only quantity matters.

Now that Windows 8 has a jaw-dropping quantity of apps in just a few days, Apple people are screaming that only quality matters.

I do wish they'd make up their minds! ;)
    As a current iPhone 4 user, I can honestly say, that the more apps on iOS just make it more difficult to sort through the trash.
    aubreyq likes this.
  15.    #15  
    But I partially agree with both really.

a) you want quantity first - i.e. the key apps. Not gaining quantity by boobs apps and fart apps, but by having key apps, big names.

b) you want quality first too - i.e. the whatsapp app, the viber app, the awful twitter app, ok-ish facebook app, dreadful newreaders - these aren't what you want. If these apps are key apps you want at least those to look and feel premium. Then if my fart app won't fart at the precise moment, I can live with it. But if my whatsapp can't deliver my notification in time and only pops up after 50 minutes, I don't see that as quality even if we have big names. Its as good as not having whatsapp on our platform really!

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I generally agree, I'm just pointing out how silly the Apple Corps can be.

I remember challenging Robert Scoble a while back, when he declared that only app count quantity matters. I asked him why, if that was true, he used a Mac when Windows has several hundred times the number of apps that the Mac OS does.

He replied that all one needs is a browser on a computer, unlike on a phone.

In other words, most of the app arguments are irrational.

For every guy who says "I can't get Instagram on Windows Phone, it's useless," there could be a WP person saying "no Fhotoroom or Microsoft Office on iOS, it doesn't have the crucial apps that I use." It's all a bit silly.
  17.    #17  
    ^ Very rational argument that!

However that reminds me - Office 2013, is out of this world! I just installed it on my Win 8 and I cannot believe how nicely the cloud has been used across - Xbox, Windows 8, WP!

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts
    Wow, people use those terribly rated external ad blockers? IE has Tracking Protection built in. Get the usual ad blocking lists (Fanboy, Easylist or something) and you're good to go for the most part.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Wow, people use those terribly rated external ad blockers? IE has Tracking Protection built in. Get the usual ad blocking lists (Fanboy, Easylist or something) and you're good to go for the most part.
    So Tracking Protection actually blocks ads?

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    So Tracking Protection actually blocks ads?
    Not all, but yes. You will have to get the ad-blocking tracking protection lists I talked about above, though.
  21.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    Not all, but yes. You will have to get the ad-blocking tracking protection lists I talked about above, though.
    It's still not as neat as ad-blockers! You often see those patches where adverts are shown. By adblock that whole element is removed and it feels much neater and easier to browse. Plus with IE9 the tracking protection was amazing, but IE10 can't do that with pop up adverts unless you set it to High!