Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92
Like Tree38Likes
  1. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have a prediction that the 8X will be a big seller simply because it's a cool looking phone that will be available on 3 of the 4 big US carriers. What do you guys think?

    Note: There's not a lot known about the ATIV S carrier availability as of this post. Perhaps the ATIV S can impact my prediction but we'll have to wait and see.
    palandri and XENOPHOS like this.
  2. davec53's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #2  
    it will likely be my choice if a 920 variant is not available on Verizon. i have no choice BUT to go with Verizon, based on coverage in my area, and from what i've seen, i prefer that phone over the Ativ, as of right now.
  3. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #3  
    HTC sells more WPs in the USA than anyone else. I expect the 8X will keep that trend going for them!
  4. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,620 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    I have a prediction that the 8X will be a big seller simply because it's a cool looking phone that will be available on 3 of the 4 big US carriers. What do you guys think?...

    .

    I think you're probably right. Availability is critical and HTC is on key,
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  5. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    944 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    I have a prediction that the 8X will be a big seller simply because it's a cool looking phone that will be available on 3 of the 4 big US carriers. What do you guys think?
    Its all down to promotion and training.

    If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones, i'd hope their tie in with Microsoft should help hugely with that.

    Same with training, if the sales staff get decent training on WP8 and some sort of incentive to sell a WP8 device, instead of an Android device, then the 8X will do well.

    It'll be very interesting to see the sales figures of 920, 8X & Ativ S after the first month.
  6. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,684 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,766 Global Posts
    #6  
    Yep, it should do well because it will be available to most carriers. If all phones were on all carriers, I think it would come in 2nd or 3rd.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  7. DeWize1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #7  
    If Nokia truly doesn't supply the 920 on any other major carrier, I can see the 8X being a huge success.

    For those on ATT, like myself, the 920 is the clear choice, no matter what anyone says, its the phone to beat. But I know many people on other carroers who love, and I mean LOVE the 8X, begging me daily when its coming out (I'm the authority of my friends on WP). I imagine my 920 will be outnumbered by the 8X's in my group.

    But honestly, I'm ok with that, It'll make me, and the 920, that much more unique. Obviously business wise that's a terrible outlook, but consumer wise, I love it.
  8. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones...
    That is a very good point. HTC will have to do most of the marketing themselves (sort of like they did with the One X) just for that reason. Maybe they'll use "...part of the Windows Phone Signature Series" in their ads. Should help a bit.
  9. odin09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    461 Posts
    #9  
    I think the one x advertising is excellent but the they still have lackluster sales. Hopefully the 8X will find a way to draw people in. Being on Verizon I may be forced to get an 8X myself but am hopeful of a 920 variant by May.

    Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
  10. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,684 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,766 Global Posts
    #10  
    Does HTC have a good history of marketing their phones? Or have they left it up to the carriers?
  11. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by odin09 View Post
    I think the one x advertising is excellent but the they still have lackluster sales.
    Yeah the One X didn't sell well but I think it's mostly due to the heavy competition in the Android camp (GSII, GSIII, Motorola Droid Series, cheaper Androids, etc). I think Windows Phone is open to any player that wants to go all out. Samsung will initially have one phone, Nokia will initially have two but spread amongst carriers using different model numbers, etc. HTC can say something like "Get the 8X for Mom and Dad, junior can get the colorful two-tone 8S. Available on T-Mo, AT&T, and Verizon" (not sure about the 8S availability but it'll probably be on all three as well).
  12. #12  
    Agreed. The 8X will probably be the top seller all across the board if the 920 does indeed remain exclusive to AT&T. Makes it that much clearer why Microsoft was pimping it instead of the 920 as the "flagship" WP8 device.
    aubreyq likes this.
  13. #13  
    Never. The phone is too light and the camera is too fast. Nobody wants that.
    snowmutt and hipporama like this.
  14. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    Agreed. The 8X will probably be the top seller all across the board if the 920 does indeed remain exclusive to AT&T. Makes it that much clearer why Microsoft was pimping it instead of the 920 as the "flagship" WP8 device.
    Yea this never actually happened. This is just internet BS spread by HTC fanboys and people on Verizon.

    I guarantee the 920 sells more simply due to the fact that it is a superior phone and that will become common knowledge.
  15. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,297 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones, i'd hope their tie in with Microsoft should help hugely with that.
    I don't agree. So if the 8X is on Verizon and AT&T are you saying Verizon doesn't care if a sub goes to AT&T instead of them? Having the device on all carriers can actually make them promote it more... That's when they start to brag about how they have the best network... or the lowest rates... etc.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Yea this never actually happened. This is just internet BS spread by HTC fanboys and people on Verizon.

    I guarantee the 920 sells more simply due to the fact that it is a superior phone and that will become common knowledge.
    Excuse me? I read it on more than one website in articles. I'm not basing my statement on the word of HTC "fanboys," nor am I basing it on anything "people on Verizon" have said. Better read up a bit more.

    On that note, I'm no HTC "fangirl" before you toss that label onto me. Never owned a single HTC phone in my life.
  17. #17  
    I don't see any wp8 device getting marketed hard. Look at the 900 and how fast that advertising fizzled out.
  18. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    Excuse me? I read it on more than one website in articles. I'm not basing my statement on the word of HTC "fanboys," nor am I basing it on anything "people on Verizon" have said. Better read up a bit more.

    On that note, I'm no HTC "fangirl" before you toss that label onto me. Never owned a single HTC phone in my life.

    I said the idea originated by HTC fanboys and verizon customers. No one called you an HTC fangirl. Take a pill and chill.

    Show me one actual link to anyone stating anything about the 8X being the "flagship phone of Microsoft" that isn't on some crappy low end website or a forum.
    tissotti likes this.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    I said the idea originated by HTC fanboys and verizon customers. No one called you an HTC fangirl. Take a pill and chill.

    Show me one actual link to anyone stating anything about the 8X being the "flagship phone of Microsoft" that isn't on some crappy low end website or a forum.
    All you have to do is Google it and voile. It's not my job to direct you to any particular site. But it's all over the 'net, so it's not difficult to find.
  20. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    All you have to do is Google it and voile. It's not my job to direct you to any particular site. But it's all over the 'net, so it's not difficult to find.
    No it isn't. Because it doesn't exist.

    You should be able to give at least one example to prove your point that it is the flagship WP8 device according to Microsoft.

    Microsoft was there to promote both the Lumia 920 and the 8X. The 8X just happened to come after the Lumia event.
  21. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    No it isn't. Because it doesn't exist.

    You should be able to give at least one example to prove your point that it is the flagship WP8 device according to Microsoft.

    Microsoft was there to promote both the Lumia 920 and the 8X. The 8X just happened to come after the Lumia event.
    Here's an idea - go to the Microsoft website and to the Windows Phone page. What do you see at the very top of the page? The two new HTC phones being displayed in all their glory. Why are they up there instead of Nokia's phones?
  22. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    Here's an idea - go to the Microsoft website and to the Windows Phone page. What do you see at the very top of the page? The two new HTC phones being displayed in all their glory. Why are they up there instead of Nokia's phones?
    Because the Lumia 920 was there first. And then HTC held their event second. And so it is showing the latest update. Hence why it says "Introducing the". Because it was last updated the day of the event. Notice how to the bottom left of it, it has the Nokia logo with a link to the 920 page saying "Introducing the"? That's because it was added right before the HTC stuff. That's just how webpages work. The top story on WPCentral is the newest, not the most important.

    Derp.
    brmiller1976 and tissotti like this.
  23. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones, i'd hope their tie in with Microsoft should help hugely with that.
    I dunno. T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon are all advertising the heck out of the Galaxy S III. Carriers are interested, first and foremost, in low handset costs. The 8X will cost carriers a whole lot less per contract-signing customer than an iPhone 5... if they can differentiate on the network and related services, they're happy to sell an "everyman's phone."
    aubreyq likes this.
  24. Jay Bennett's Avatar
    Resident Developer

    Posts
    991 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    No it isn't. Because it doesn't exist.



    You should be able to give at least one example to prove your point that it is the flagship WP8 device according to Microsoft.



    Microsoft was there to promote both the Lumia 920 and the 8X. The 8X just happened to come after the Lumia event.

    He's right, I believe the word Microsoft used was 'signature' although I may be wrong. They worked very closely with HTC hence why these phones are being known as "Windows Phone 8X" and "Windows Phone 8S". It's mostly to combat the fact that right now people are more aware of the Lumia brand than of Windows Phone
    aubreyq likes this.
  25. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by odin09 View Post
    I think the one x advertising is excellent but the they still have lackluster sales.
    Keep in mind that the One X is a carrier-exclusive phone. If you want one, you HAVE to go to AT&T.

    Ironically, in Windows Phone World, HTC 8X is the Samsung Galaxy S III (e.g. available everywhere) while the Lumia 920 is the One X (a great handset available only on AT&T).
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B