Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94
Like Tree62Likes
  1. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi guys. For some reason Samsung has been A little quiet for their phone. Dunno why maybe they have something in store. But let's wait
    I got a question is samsug going to use the Samsung galaxy s3's success for the Ativ S
    But they did say the are planning to dominate the wp market and android market. This means Samsung is commited to wp8 and they are gonna help windows phone
    For example
    -goes to every single carrier
    -need to advertise heavily
    Do you think samsung will do this?
  2. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #2  
    They will advertise the Galaxy Note 2 heavily :P
  3. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    They will advertise the Galaxy Note 2 heavily :P
    Of course. But how about the ativ S though? The design is way bettere than the s3. And also they are totally silent about it
  4. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #4  
    The ATIV is already the best Windows Phone device. Samsung doesn't need help.
  5. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    The ATIV is already the best Windows Phone device. Samsung doesn't need help.
    Yea. But why waste resources on the ativ S. they could of have done a s3 copy. But they didn't
  6. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    Yea. But why waste resources on the ativ S. they could of have done a s3 copy. But they didn't
    Microsoft probably cut them a deal on some licensing to differentiate their WP8 handset. Although Samsung probably would have differentiated it from the GS3 anyways, they always do.

    The Focus looked nothing like any of their Android handsets. They just like trying everything like the Galaxy beam. And the Nexus designs were weird too. They just experiment a lot, but they make up for wasting resources on weird designs by re using the stuff that works.
    Villain likes this.
  7. #7  
    Well, probably. Keep stuff that works and come up with a design that works too. Not a bad strategy as it served Samsung well in the Galaxy range.

    Still, the ATIV, despite the 'best' moniker, is not getting the coverage in tech blogs that the main competitor in the WP space, the L920, is getting. I personally feel it is because there's no real breakout feature like the OIS or the second coming of wireless charging. Still, it might be what users want. That we have to see.
  8. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    The ATIV is already the best Windows Phone device. Samsung doesn't need help.
    What is making the Ativ better than the 8X and the 920? Seems like it would be hard to make that claim at this time. It very well could be the best, but until their is a full review does anyone really know?
  9. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #9  
    Unless largest screen now means best, I don't see how the Ativ is the best. I don't think removable storage and battery are huge differentiators. A small minority of people will buy a second battery for the phone. Many carrier stores don't even stock batteries anymore, that is how few people buy a second one. The average consumer doesn't need more than 16 GB of storage, much less 32 GB. I know I for one have had a 16 GB micro SD card since 2009 and I have never needed more. Even when I had to store all my photos on the phone because I didn't have cloud back up, I never got over 12 GB used. The Ativ doesn't have the best screen, likely won't have the best camera, likely won't have the best sound quality, isn't the best looking (in most people's opinions), and really has nothing other than screen size in its corner that is an advantage to the average consumer. Sure, if you are of the small subset that HAS to have a removable battery and/or SD card slot, the Ativ MAY appeal to you more than the 820 or the 8S (I'd personally take either one over the Ativ), but I think that will prove to be a very small minority of consumers.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Unless largest screen now means best, I don't see how the Ativ is the best. I don't think removable storage and battery are huge differentiators. A small minority of people will buy a second battery for the phone. Many carrier stores don't even stock batteries anymore, that is how few people buy a second one. The average consumer doesn't need more than 16 GB of storage, much less 32 GB. I know I for one have had a 16 GB micro SD card since 2009 and I have never needed more. Even when I had to store all my photos on the phone because I didn't have cloud back up, I never got over 12 GB used. The Ativ doesn't have the best screen, likely won't have the best camera, likely won't have the best sound quality, isn't the best looking (in most people's opinions), and really has nothing other than screen size in its corner that is an advantage to the average consumer. Sure, if you are of the small subset that HAS to have a removable battery and/or SD card slot, the Ativ MAY appeal to you more than the 820 or the 8S (I'd personally take either one over the Ativ), but I think that will prove to be a very small minority of consumers.
    Well, I know the galaxy s 3 has a bunch of cool features that aren't available on anything else. Wouldn't be difficult to port most of them to the ativ.
  11. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Well, I know the galaxy s 3 has a bunch of cool features that aren't available on anything else. Wouldn't be difficult to port most of them to the ativ.
    Like what? Most of the software features wouldn't work with Windows Phone because it would require too deep of customization of the OS. For example, the feature of raising the phone to your ear when texting someone to start a call with them. Samsung can't modify the messaging app to allow for that. Not to mention every single one of them would need to be recoded from cratch for Windows Phone since it shares no code with Android. And if Samsung has shown one thing in its past devices, its that it isn't really interested in developing good exclusive apps. HTC and Nokia both have always had a vastly superior selection. And as far as hardware, we know what it will have. No suprises there.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Like what? Most of the software features wouldn't work with Windows Phone because it would require too deep of customization of the OS. For example, the feature of raising the phone to your ear when texting someone to start a call with them. Samsung can't modify the messaging app to allow for that. Not to mention every single one of them would need to be recoded from cratch for Windows Phone since it shares no code with Android. And if Samsung has shown one thing in its past devices, its that it isn't really interested in developing good exclusive apps. HTC and Nokia both have always had a vastly superior selection. And as far as hardware, we know what it will have. No suprises there.
    Swipe to capture and smart stay are two off the top of my head that are really nice to have. Also, the direct call your talking about doesn't take much for coding at all and could definitely work with wp8. All it does is utilize sensors while in the message. Samsung has come a long way recently. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see all of the above on the ativ. Now, their picture in picture is another story. Most likely not possible.
  13. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    #13  
    sure all you need to do is setting an alarm clock on samsung head
  14. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Swipe to capture and smart stay are two off the top of my head that are really nice to have. Also, the direct call your talking about doesn't take much for coding at all and could definitely work with wp8. All it does is utilize sensors while in the message. Samsung has come a long way recently. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see all of the above on the ativ. Now, their picture in picture is another story. Most likely not possible.

    It would suprise me. All of those feature require OS level customization that MS does not allow. They can't be accomplished with apps, which is all MS will allow OEMs to do. The example I used my only require sensor info while in messages, but it would also require Samsung to modify the messaging app, which is where the problem comes in. I'm not saying technilogically impossible, I'm saying that it goes beyond the level of custimization that Microsoft allows.
  15. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #15  
    They will market the Ativ line. Don't hold your breath for a huge Ativ S-specific marketing campaign. The Ativ will sell because of the Samsung name and on carriers where the Lumia & 8X are not available, it will still be absolutely stomped by HTC & Nokia because next to no one even remembers or cares about the S and Samsung has no value proposition to give to customers for point-of-sale reps to pitch when the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 will be sitting right opposite the Ativ with established brands, mind share and sales.

    Oh, I could be wrong. But don't count on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    The ATIV is already the best Windows Phone device.
    Said like a true, objective techie who has a wealth of cold, hard facts, evidence and logic to back up his statements.
    Last edited by AngryNil; 10-06-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    aubreyq likes this.
  16. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Unless largest screen now means best, I don't see how the Ativ is the best. I don't think removable storage and battery are huge differentiators. A small minority of people will buy a second battery for the phone. Many carrier stores don't even stock batteries anymore, that is how few people buy a second one. The average consumer doesn't need more than 16 GB of storage, much less 32 GB. I know I for one have had a 16 GB micro SD card since 2009 and I have never needed more. Even when I had to store all my photos on the phone because I didn't have cloud back up, I never got over 12 GB used. The Ativ doesn't have the best screen, likely won't have the best camera, likely won't have the best sound quality, isn't the best looking (in most people's opinions), and really has nothing other than screen size in its corner that is an advantage to the average consumer. Sure, if you are of the small subset that HAS to have a removable battery and/or SD card slot, the Ativ MAY appeal to you more than the 820 or the 8S (I'd personally take either one over the Ativ), but I think that will prove to be a very small minority of consumers.
    Woah! Slow down buddy. Just because you choose to say it has nothing over your chosen favorites it doesn't mean that it is true. It has some big ones.

    It is way thinner for one.

    Uses brushed aluminum instead of plastic. I personally prefer plastic but some people like metal like the isheep

    Expandable storage

    Those are some huge bullet points, nothing to brush off like you are doing.

    As far as the screen goes, yes, size matters and besides, you know absolutely nothing about it. As far as we know it could be higher than 60hz, OLED screens have ridiculous speeds. That is one of their advatages. Whether or not Samsung uses their newest tech in the Ativ S I dont know but you cant just write it off based on how loudly HTC and Nokia brags about their tech.

    The same applies for the sound. If the Ativ S uses the Wolfson chip set like the international GS3 does, then that chip trumps any gimmick like beats or Dolby can provide. Some XDA guys created their own sound drivers that destroys beats on the One X. Unfortunately though, most of the North American handsets will most likely have the crappy sound card integrated in the Qualcomm S4. So while us windows fanboys argue about beats + amp vs Dolby, the best sounding handsets will most likely be either the iphone or the note 2. Lol
  17. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    They will market the Ativ line. Don't hold your breath for a huge Ativ S-specific marketing campaign. The Ativ will sell because of the Samsung name and on carriers where the Lumia & 8X are not available, it will still be absolutely stomped by HTC & Nokia because next to no one even remembers or cares about the S and Samsung has no value proposition to give to customers for point-of-sale reps to pitch when the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 will be sitting right opposite the Ativ with established brands, mind share and sales.

    Oh, I could be wrong. But don't count on it.


    Said like a true, objective techie who has a wealth of cold, hard facts, evidence and logic to back up his statements.
    Easier sell actually. That is a newer and better version of the GS3 is all they have to say and sold.
  18. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,817 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,473 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    Easier sell actually. That is a newer and better version of the GS3 is all they have to say and sold.
    Someone tried to market the Nokia Lumia 800 as a Galaxy Note to my friend. It worked, and then she realised it wasn't. Now she is so damn angry about it that I'm scared to go near her! If I try and sell her a Windows Phone (or a Nokia with Android if they ever release one), the crap will really hit the fan! People will notice and then it will really backfire on both Windows Phone and the company.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  19. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    Woah! Slow down buddy. Just because you choose to say it has nothing over your chosen favorites it doesn't mean that it is true. It has some big ones.

    It is way thinner for one.

    Uses brushed aluminum instead of plastic. I personally prefer plastic but some people like metal like the isheep

    Expandable storage

    Those are some huge bullet points, nothing to brush off like you are doing.

    As far as the screen goes, yes, size matters and besides, you know absolutely nothing about it. As far as we know it could be higher than 60hz, OLED screens have ridiculous speeds. That is one of their advatages. Whether or not Samsung uses their newest tech in the Ativ S I dont know but you cant just write it off based on how loudly HTC and Nokia brags about their tech.
    1. It is 14% slimmer than 8X, and the 920 is a behemoth. 14% may matter to some, but I doubt it will be a huge determining factor for most.
    2. It is not aluminum. It is "Metallic CMF w/ Hair line finsih" (as per Samsung.com). This means it is a metal look plastic, not metal.
    3. Expandable storage may be a big deal to some, but the success of the iPhone has shown that it is not a must have for the mass market so long as you provide at least 16 GB. I acknowledged this would matter to some, but maintain that to most people it won't matter.
    4. It has the same screen as the Galaxy S III. We know lots about it. In my experience and conversations the general public is happy with anything around 4.3" and up. And there is a decent portion (around 1/3) who wouldn't want anything larger than 4.3", particularly in the over 35, non tech enthusiast crowed.
    5. If Microsoft didn't let HTC use a different audio chip than what is on the S4, they didn't let Samsung either.


    This phone is announced and the specs are available publicly. I don't understand why people are expecting some huge surprise from it.
    aubreyq and metalchick719 like this.
  20. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    1. It is 14% slimmer than 8X, and the 920 is a behemoth. 14% may matter to some, but I doubt it will be a huge determining factor for most.
    2. It is not aluminum. It is "Metallic CMF w/ Hair line finsih" (as per Samsung.com). This means it is a metal look plastic, not metal.
    3. Expandable storage may be a big deal to some, but the success of the iPhone has shown that it is not a must have for the mass market so long as you provide at least 16 GB. I acknowledged this would matter to some, but maintain that to most people it won't matter.
    4. It has the same screen as the Galaxy S III. We know lots about it. In my experience and conversations the general public is happy with anything around 4.3" and up. And there is a decent portion (around 1/3) who wouldn't want anything larger than 4.3", particularly in the over 35, non tech enthusiast crowed.
    5. If Microsoft didn't let HTC use a different audio chip than what is on the S4, they didn't let Samsung either.


    This phone is announced and the specs are available publicly. I don't understand why people are expecting some huge surprise from it.
    It most likely is the same screen as the Galaxy S 3 but it might not be. I don't see any link that says yes it uses the same screen. Not saying you're wrong because I think it will be the same screen myself but it still just an assumption on your part. The lumia 900 and 820 use a different screen when people guessed it was going to be the same for example.

    And like I said, those are just your opinions and those factors will most likely be important to a lot of people. The Ativ S is not the worst WP8 flagship just because YOU say it is. Winter fang for example says it is the best.

    The better question is what does the 8x bring besides some crappy dollar store level amp?
  21. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinleeds View Post
    Someone tried to market the Nokia Lumia 800 as a Galaxy Note to my friend. It worked, and then she realised it wasn't. Now she is so damn angry about it that I'm scared to go near her! If I try and sell her a Windows Phone (or a Nokia with Android if they ever release one), the crap will really hit the fan! People will notice and then it will really backfire on both Windows Phone and the company.
    That isn't lying though. The Ativ S is basically a newer and better GS3 that runs on a better OS. That is perfectly acceptable sales strategy. Your example is just flat out lying and deception.
  22. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    It most likely is the same screen as the Galaxy S 3 but it might not be. I don't see any link that says yes it uses the same screen. Not saying you're wrong because I think it will be the same screen myself but it still just an assumption on your part. The lumia 900 and 820 use a different screen when people guessed it was going to be the same for example.

    And like I said, those are just your opinions and those factors will most likely be important to a lot of people. The Ativ S is not the worst WP8 flagship just because YOU say it is. Winter fang for example says it is the best.

    The better question is what does the 8x bring besides some crappy dollar store level amp?
    Samsung ATIV S feature page up, shows the ATIV S has the same Pentile display as the Galaxy S III | WMPoweruser

    They use the same Super AMOLED HD screen. You can look at the Ativ S spec sheet yourself, the article above links to it and talks about the screen.

    The iPhone (the single best selling phone) not having expandable storage and most people not caring is a fact, not my opinion. The only people who care about expandable storage on phones with 16 or 32 GB of memory are tech enthusiasts.

    I never said it was 100% the worst. What I said was that if screen size, expandable storage, or a removable battery were ultra important to you, then the Ativ S is best. I just don't think that it is best for the average consumer. The fact that threads like this one suggesting that there are unannounced features or that Samsung has a surprise up its sleeve with this phone shows that most people are disappointed with it as it is and want something more from it.

    People who have heard the amp on the HTC 8X in action have had positive things to say about it (including wpcentral), suggesting it is "a crappy dollar store level amp" is pure speculation, not based on actually released specs and early hands on experiences.

    As to what else it offers over the Ativ S, here are my OPINIONS:
    1. HTC has historically had better fit and finish with a superior, more premium feel
    2. HTC has historically had superior manufacturer specific apps
    3. HTC's dedicated imaging chip will likely lead to faster camera performance
    4. HTC has had a better update history on both Android and Windows Phone than Samsung
    aubreyq likes this.
  23. aximtreo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    What is making the Ativ better than the 8X and the 920? Seems like it would be hard to make that claim at this time. It very well could be the best, but until their is a full review does anyone really know?

    One thing that makes it better than the L920 is that it is rumoured to be on Verizon; L920 on AT&T only. Does my sarcasm come through here?:mad:
  24. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    What is making the Ativ better than the 8X and the 920? Seems like it would be hard to make that claim at this time. It very well could be the best, but until their is a full review does anyone really know?
    It's remarkable how Winterfang knows it's the best, despite never having used one, seen one or even having been in the same room as any of these devices, isn't it?

    I pretty much ignore everything he says since his post are so bipolar and nonsensical.
  25. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    It's remarkable how Winterfang knows it's the best, despite never having used one, seen one or even having been in the same room as any of these devices, isn't it?

    I pretty much ignore everything he says since his post are so bipolar and nonsensical.
    Though I do understand his like for htc and Sammy. But glad we got htc to join Nokia level commitment. But if we got Sammy just to advertise the ativ S heavily
    . Then we'll appreciate them. You should put him in ignore. In your account
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions