Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Jaybotics's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #1  
    Okay, so I've tried the WP7/7.5 platform twice, and have enjoyed how fluid, and fast the OS is in general, their were a few things that made me switch back the iPhone however, and I'm kind of curious to see if these "annoyances" have been fixed, or if anyone has other solutions that might help me out.

    1. I really hated that when I linked my Facebook/Twitter accounts that my contacts would show up in my phone list or whatever,.. I ended up having a huge contact list, and I didn't like that. Have they added an option to only show contacts that will be in my Outlook/Gmail contacts list?

    2. For anyone that has a Nokia device right now, how is the Drive application? I haven't used one myself, but I with just moving to a new area, voice navigation is something that I am having to rely on.

    As silly as my first annoyance is, I just couldn't get over that. I'm really looking to invest into the platform one more time with the 920.
  2. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    #2  
    1. Always had the option to filter contact list I thought. But yes, you can filter who shows up in your people hub.
  3. dogfish54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Okay, so I've tried the WP7/7.5 platform twice, and have enjoyed how fluid, and fast the OS is in general, their were a few things that made me switch back the iPhone however, and I'm kind of curious to see if these "annoyances" have been fixed, or if anyone has other solutions that might help me out.

    1. I really hated that when I linked my Facebook/Twitter accounts that my contacts would show up in my phone list or whatever,.. I ended up having a huge contact list, and I didn't like that. Have they added an option to only show contacts that will be in my Outlook/Gmail contacts list?

    2. For anyone that has a Nokia device right now, how is the Drive application? I haven't used one myself, but I with just moving to a new area, voice navigation is something that I am having to rely on.

    As silly as my first annoyance is, I just couldn't get over that. I'm really looking to invest into the platform one more time with the 920.
    Nokia drive works really well as the maps are from Navteq. Nokia Transit is also very nice if you rely on public transit.

    I don't use Nokia Drive a lot as I prefer to have a permanently mounted GPS device in my car, and I generally only use one vehicle.

    If you are going overseas, the ability to download maps for a whole country and use them offline will defeinitely save some money. You don't have to pay for the other countries like with a regular GPS.

    If you want the latest apps the minute they come out, you'll not be happy. I also have an iPhone 4 that I use for work, and I really don't use many apps at all, but I understand some people do. The iPhone feels out of date when I've been using the Windows phone, but there are some things missing that annoy me with Windows phone, hopefully they'll fix those with WP8.

    In my opinion, the Lumia 920 is going to be the most capable smartphone on the market when it's released.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Okay, so I've tried the WP7/7.5 platform twice, and have enjoyed how fluid, and fast the OS is in general, their were a few things that made me switch back the iPhone however, and I'm kind of curious to see if these "annoyances" have been fixed, or if anyone has other solutions that might help me out.

    1. I really hated that when I linked my Facebook/Twitter accounts that my contacts would show up in my phone list or whatever,.. I ended up having a huge contact list, and I didn't like that. Have they added an option to only show contacts that will be in my Outlook/Gmail contacts list?

    2. For anyone that has a Nokia device right now, how is the Drive application? I haven't used one myself, but I with just moving to a new area, voice navigation is something that I am having to rely on.

    As silly as my first annoyance is, I just couldn't get over that. I'm really looking to invest into the platform one more time with the 920.
    Contact list filtering is on WP7.5, so I'd assume it's on WP8. When you go into People Hub you just need to tap the options trigger (appears as "..." in lower right hand corner) and click settings. When you do that, the filtering options will come up and let you choose which imported contacts you wish to see (Live, Google, FB, etc). You can also limit updates in the People Hub to be limited to those you let through the filter or not. All contacts are searchable still, but you will only see the ones in the list that you let through the filter.

    As for Drive, I have not used it, but I have heard its pretty remarkable.

    Nokia Drive offline navigation review: taking the Lumia 900 for an off-the-grid spin -- Engadget

    This review shows one of the great benefits of Drive - offline navigation. You can download entire states and nations easily instead of location downloads. I'm very glad MS is bringing Drive to all Windows Phones, though it looks as though Nokia has enhanced it for Nokia devices with Nokia Drive+. It now is going to include indoor mapping of public places, so you can download maps of airports you'll be flying through, for instance, and use them to navigate the airport when moving from terminal to terminal.
  5. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    658 Posts
    Global Posts
    857 Global Posts
    #5  
    #1... that option has always been in wp7
  6. msi31684's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Okay, so I've tried the WP7/7.5 platform twice, and have enjoyed how fluid, and fast the OS is in general, their were a few things that made me switch back the iPhone however, and I'm kind of curious to see if these "annoyances" have been fixed, or if anyone has other solutions that might help me out.

    1. I really hated that when I linked my Facebook/Twitter accounts that my contacts would show up in my phone list or whatever,.. I ended up having a huge contact list, and I didn't like that. Have they added an option to only show contacts that will be in my Outlook/Gmail contacts list?

    2. For anyone that has a Nokia device right now, how is the Drive application? I haven't used one myself, but I with just moving to a new area, voice navigation is something that I am having to rely on.

    As silly as my first annoyance is, I just couldn't get over that. I'm really looking to invest into the platform one more time with the 920.
    1. Contacts filtering is already there on 7.5..hope WP8 would have some more options in there.

    2. Nokia drive is best. I use it as offline maps as it has capability to download maps and provide offline location and search capability...Its voice navigation top notch..

    I wish u had asked these questions before switching back...Its sad to lose one WP user when u have amazing piece of software but people dont want to accept it or they are unaware of it and just ignore negative news stories....Once we have good number of users we can hope for more apps coming on our way..
  7. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Okay, so I've tried the WP7/7.5 platform twice, and have enjoyed how fluid, and fast the OS is in general, their were a few things that made me switch back the iPhone however, and I'm kind of curious to see if these "annoyances" have been fixed, or if anyone has other solutions that might help me out.

    1. I really hated that when I linked my Facebook/Twitter accounts that my contacts would show up in my phone list or whatever,.. I ended up having a huge contact list, and I didn't like that. Have they added an option to only show contacts that will be in my Outlook/Gmail contacts list?

    2. For anyone that has a Nokia device right now, how is the Drive application? I haven't used one myself, but I with just moving to a new area, voice navigation is something that I am having to rely on.

    As silly as my first annoyance is, I just couldn't get over that. I'm really looking to invest into the platform one more time with the 920.
    Hey There,

    I made the jump from Android to WP when the Lumia 900 came out in April (White one..) and haven't looked back. I'll spare you my glowing fanboy comments except to say this: You are absolutely right in noticing the fast, fluid OS. It's Awesome! And extremely easy to learn.

    1. I'm not a big Facebook user so I cant say much about the importing of all of your contacts but my Google contacts all migrated over, some I didnt care about. So your point about that is probably correct. Maybe a fix coming in WP8

    2. I've used Nokia Drive a few times and it was spot on. The turn-by-turn directions were clear and accurate. I even changed the voice to British Female. Kinda cool..LOL

    Another point I'll make is Don't discount the value of Nokia's Exclusive Apps or the fact that Nokia truly has kept up with updates and improvements. The camera went from being just so-so to one of the best with a recent update while, Nokia Music, Conversations, Maps, and City Lens are must have's

    Lastly, Stephen Elop, Nokia's CEO is know for answering emails personally. I know cuz I sent him one a couple days ago and got a response from him within 8 hours! Haven't tried Tim Cook yet but, well....

    Make the jump. You wont regret it.
  8. ScubaDog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #8  
    Agree with everyone else...if you go to the People Hub you can go into settings (via the elipsis) and press on the "filter my contact list". This will show you a list of all your sources (mine shows WindowsLive, LinkedIn, Google, Facebook, Twitter and Outlook) and you simply check or uncheck the ones you want/don't want to see.

    As for Nokia drive, I just couldn't get over just how fast and accurate that was. I'd downloaded a number of the various turn-by-turn apps because the stock one in WindowsPhone is, honestly, anemic. But the offline feature alone has made a big difference in Nokia Drive compared to other platforms. I was on a road trip with my band and the guys in the other vehicle were using the iPhone 4S and I was using my Lumia 900. Once we got into San Antonio I was able to get to our intended location a full 20 minutes ahead of them because I got a better route. Also, there's a "Commute" feature that allows you to store regular from/to locations and Drive will keep you updated on traffic changes and re-route you based on that to give you a faster path. Awesome stuff.
  9. Jaybotics's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #9  
    Ah, my mistake, see I guess I've never used 7.5, but only tried 7 twice. I'm glad that they've got that option now!

    I'm also really looking forward to getting the Lumia because of the camera, however, how are the photo editing apps? I'm an avid instagram user, so I'm a little sad that it isn't on there, but I'll live. Some of the ones that I've browsed on the marketplace looked really ugly, and difficult to use. Are their any iOS photo editing apps equivalent for WP?

    Thanks for the input everyone, I'm really looking forward to jumping ship (again) to WP. I'm sure I won't be disappointed this time.
  10. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Ah, my mistake, see I guess I've never used 7.5, but only tried 7 twice. I'm glad that they've got that option now!

    I'm also really looking forward to getting the Lumia because of the camera, however, how are the photo editing apps? I'm an avid instagram user, so I'm a little sad that it isn't on there, but I'll live. Some of the ones that I've browsed on the marketplace looked really ugly, and difficult to use. Are their any iOS photo editing apps equivalent for WP?

    Thanks for the input everyone, I'm really looking forward to jumping ship (again) to WP. I'm sure I won't be disappointed this time.
    Nokia Creative Studio gets great reviews. Haven't used it yet but the reviews are great. Also, Camera Extras is really cool too. Good Luck!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    I'm also really looking forward to getting the Lumia because of the camera, however, how are the photo editing apps? I'm an avid instagram user, so I'm a little sad that it isn't on there, but I'll live. Some of the ones that I've browsed on the marketplace looked really ugly, and difficult to use. Are their any iOS photo editing apps equivalent for WP?
    In addition to another poster's recommendation about Creative Studio on the Nokia's, I would also say that there are several good photo editing abilities.

    Also, WP8 brings a feature called Lenses that bring photo editing features right in the OS itself, and it's rumored that Instagram is finally coming to WP as well.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Ah, my mistake, see I guess I've never used 7.5, but only tried 7 twice. I'm glad that they've got that option now!

    I'm also really looking forward to getting the Lumia because of the camera, however, how are the photo editing apps? I'm an avid instagram user, so I'm a little sad that it isn't on there, but I'll live. Some of the ones that I've browsed on the marketplace looked really ugly, and difficult to use. Are their any iOS photo editing apps equivalent for WP?

    Thanks for the input everyone, I'm really looking forward to jumping ship (again) to WP. I'm sure I won't be disappointed this time.
    I'm in the same boat, looking forward to the Lumia 920. I have the Trophy because I'm a VZW user who wanted Windows Phone. The 920's camera plus Nokia's exclusive apps sold me on it. And I'm also an avid music fan and that JBL wireless charging, NFC speaker for music is pretty awesome looking.

    I think Instagram will get here eventually. The new platform will allow for easier porting and I think WP8 will see a sizeable marketshare increase over the next quarter. Most all of the major apps will be there by summer next year, I think.

    I've heard the Nokia photo apps are pretty good.
  13. Jaybotics's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #13  
    I can't wait to get the 920 then. I really am needing a change, and I just love what Nokia has been doing lately. I'm hoping the camera is just as good as they're saying. I'll have to wait to try it myself before jumping to WP8 though.

    Also, does WP have a dedicated YouTube app yet? I remember hating the "app" that was on the marketplace because it just took me to the mobile version of the site.
  14. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Also, does WP have a dedicated YouTube app yet? I remember hating the "app" that was on the marketplace because it just took me to the mobile version of the site.
    No real official app yet. There are some pretty good third party alternatives though such as

    Metrotube

    SuperTube

    Tube Pro
    Thanked by:
  15. ratchetjaw#AC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    #15  
    Does the tapatalk alt have push notifications ? I haven't used wp7 since the focus launched

Posting Permissions