Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83
Like Tree26Likes
  1. dogfish54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
       #1  
    I know this happened slowly, and Microsoft can probably only blame themselves, but it feels like the Mac vs PC commercials were INCREDIBLY effective at creating Mac love and Microsoft Hate.

    I can't deal with reading Gizmodo anymore .. and theverge is not far behind. Topolsky did a rant on their latest podcast about Lumia 920 fans, calling them f'ing mutants.

    The reason I love Microsoft is because it's balanced between being too open (Android, Linux) and too closed.

    One could argue there is no such thing about too open, but too many choices, options and directions can sometimes be frustrating if you just want something polished and finished. I feel like Microsoft strikes a good balance here.

    I also feel like I understand my relationship with Microsoft as a business, I pay money, I get software. Google is a little more complex .. as I'm never really sure what is free and what is a front for collecting information.

    Apple .. well they just confuse me .. and their fans more so. It's like they make things simple, which generally means less features ... but somehow (some) Apple fans call themselves geeks and tech enthusiasts. My brain equates Apple with anything but. I understand tech geeks liking Linux ... but Apple? No .. Apple is the brand for my mum ... my sister ... and the 'knows enough to be dangerous' tech enthusiast.

    Have these 'knows enough to be dangerous' people somehow taken over the tech media? Are they morons thinking they are smart, followed by other morons who also think they are smart?

    Some of them seem smart though ... and I can't work them out .. how do people that know better choose Apple? Help me understand this .. somebody?
  2. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #2  
    Relax man, is just a company. Apple is cooler to hate Anyway.
  3. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
    #3  
    Slow down... You should not even care about that... just buy what you like... don't insult someone for his preferences...
    aubreyq, Kredrian and jedlink like this.
  4. dogfish54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    Slow down... You should not even care about that... just buy what you like... don't insult someone for his preferences...
    I care because I want the platform to be popular ---> more app choices ---> platform may actually survive.

    The platform needs support from the 'knows enough to be dangerous' crowd, who recites what they read on the verge and influences the masses.

    Forgive the insults, I have #Topolskyrage
    aubreyq and msi31684 like this.
  5. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    #5  
    Any platform has the simple level and the advanced level. Androids have to be rooted to be so "open". Without rooting them you just cant do anything you please. Apple is simple out of the box. You have to jail break them to do cool things with them. Same with WP. Simple out of the box with only MS approved tweaks. Unlock it and you can do more advanced stuff. No real difference between any of the platforms.
  6. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #6  
    Don't get your boxers in a knot. Eleven years ago Microsoft had to give up on their planned World domination of all things tech. They had to give others a chance to catch up thanks to some judges rulings. They have learned a lot since then, and developed a top notch legal team to fend off future attacks.

    Now they are beginning to take back what is rightfully theirs while riding that fine line between monopoly and free enterprise. Google and Apple have helped prove that owning 90%+ of a particular market segment is A-Ok. Don't think Microsoft won't use that for reference a few years from now.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  7. STM 69's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #7  
    I don't hate MSFT.


    Posted from My Mobile App
  8. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #8  
    Its always the popular thing to do. hate on the popular company and label it mainstream then try to be different... ironically the people who do this are the actual sheep.


    it happens in all forms of things. music, art, movies, tech etc



    Last edited by Villain; 10-01-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    aubreyq and cedarlog like this.
  9. jabz9's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #9  
    i know how you exactly feel. i feel the same way. some of my friends say before the end of 2013, windows phone isn't gonna be around anymore because it wont pick up market share and sometimes i feel like their right. i just have a feeling that microsoft may just give up on the mobile platform and just make apps and then we have to chose between Android or Iphone.

    since we dont have that much marketshare i also fear that Blackberry may grab the #3 spot.

    i just hope Microsoft can come up with great advertising for their phone and windows phone 8 can get more market share. if anything i just Windows phone to be at least the #number 2 spot behind android ahead of apple.
  10. EvanKr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #10  
    Remember when everyone hated in the Zune? Even today people hate on it because it's not an iPod, even though in many regards, if not ALL regards, it's a much superior product. People hated it without even trying it, just because its market share was low somehow automatically meant it sucked.
  11. #11  
    Just like how people hated Xbox when it first came out, now it's at the top of the gaming industry. With time we will also be at or near the top of the mobile industry. MS isn't and have already made it clear that they aren't giving up on WP.
  12. msi31684's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabz9 View Post
    i know how you exactly feel. i feel the same way. some of my friends say before the end of 2013, windows phone isn't gonna be around anymore because it wont pick up market share and sometimes i feel like their right. i just have a feeling that microsoft may just give up on the mobile platform and just make apps and then we have to chose between Android or Iphone.

    since we dont have that much marketshare i also fear that Blackberry may grab the #3 spot.

    i just hope Microsoft can come up with great advertising for their phone and windows phone 8 can get more market share. if anything i just Windows phone to be at least the #number 2 spot behind android ahead of apple.
    WP8 has already created so much buzz..lumia 920 is most talked about phone and people r waiting to buy it...2013 is gona be windows year 8...Microsoft will never give up dude..check the history..u might see apple goin down someday and people forgetting iToys...Microsoft will keep coming with products untill they dont come with killer product and kill their rivals...WP8 has all the ingredients to kill iOS and Android...BB is no way near..just bcos u read some articles few days back ur saying this...Use ur brains...
  13. jabz9's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by msi31684 View Post
    WP8 has already created so much buzz..lumia 920 is most talked about phone and people r waiting to buy it...2013 is gona be windows year 8...Microsoft will never give up dude..check the history..u might see apple goin down someday and people forgetting iToys...Microsoft will keep coming with products untill they dont come with killer product and kill their rivals...WP8 has all the ingredients to kill iOS and Android...BB is no way near..just bcos u read some articles few days back ur saying this...Use ur brains...
    I hope so man. all they need to do is get Better apps. all my friend use their iphone for is instagram . if we can get that im sure sooner then later we will be on top
  14. nikon133's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    I know this happened slowly, and Microsoft can probably only blame themselves, but it feels like the Mac vs PC commercials were INCREDIBLY effective at creating Mac love and Microsoft Hate.

    I can't deal with reading Gizmodo anymore .. and theverge is not far behind. Topolsky did a rant on their latest podcast about Lumia 920 fans, calling them f'ing mutants.

    The reason I love Microsoft is because it's balanced between being too open (Android, Linux) and too closed.

    One could argue there is no such thing about too open, but too many choices, options and directions can sometimes be frustrating if you just want something polished and finished. I feel like Microsoft strikes a good balance here.

    I also feel like I understand my relationship with Microsoft as a business, I pay money, I get software. Google is a little more complex .. as I'm never really sure what is free and what is a front for collecting information.

    Apple .. well they just confuse me .. and their fans more so. It's like they make things simple, which generally means less features ... but somehow (some) Apple fans call themselves geeks and tech enthusiasts. My brain equates Apple with anything but. I understand tech geeks liking Linux ... but Apple? No .. Apple is the brand for my mum ... my sister ... and the 'knows enough to be dangerous' tech enthusiast.

    Have these 'knows enough to be dangerous' people somehow taken over the tech media? Are they morons thinking they are smart, followed by other morons who also think they are smart?

    Some of them seem smart though ... and I can't work them out .. how do people that know better choose Apple? Help me understand this .. somebody?
    I don't agree, not really... most people I know found that Mac guy an arrogant *****, and all sympathies were on PC guy's side.

    Also... Mac has space to grow into, while Windows hasn't really got anywhere to grow, having more than 90% world wide market share. And yet, Mac market share hasn't really changed much. They are still around 5% world wide. I'm thinking, if both platforms had same percentage of switchers... say 1 in 10 users were not happy with their platform, or hated it for any irrational reason... 10% of Windows users switching to Mac would boost their global market share from 5 to almost 15%. On the other side, 10% of Mac users switching to Windows wouldn't really make a dent.

    But that never happened, so... I can't say I see any real hate for MS. I did see a lot of it on some Apple forums I was following after getting iPhone back in 2009, but it is more about profile of people striving in those forums, than about MS, because that hate recently moved from MS to Google, and most of those haters would rather see WP8 than Android competing with their beloved iOS nowadays. So it looks more like hate against whoever is dominating their brand, than hate against specific brand as per se. If WP8 manages to get some decent market share, I'm sure MS will get more of that good ol' hate - not for being MS, but for being successful ;)
  15. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,114 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,293 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #15  
    I don't think it's so much hating Microsoft. Rather, Microsoft is perceived as the dull, boring OS one uses at work.

    Other folks might still remember the truly awful versions of Windows, such as 98 and ME, or the BSOD.

    I'm not aware of too many folks who hate Windows 7.
  16. dogfish54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post
    I don't agree, not really... most people I know found that Mac guy an arrogant *****, and all sympathies were on PC guy's side.

    Also... Mac has space to grow into, while Windows hasn't really got anywhere to grow, having more than 90% world wide market share. And yet, Mac market share hasn't really changed much. They are still around 5% world wide. I'm thinking, if both platforms had same percentage of switchers... say 1 in 10 users were not happy with their platform, or hated it for any irrational reason... 10% of Windows users switching to Mac would boost their global market share from 5 to almost 15%. On the other side, 10% of Mac users switching to Windows wouldn't really make a dent.

    But that never happened, so... I can't say I see any real hate for MS. I did see a lot of it on some Apple forums I was following after getting iPhone back in 2009, but it is more about profile of people striving in those forums, than about MS, because that hate recently moved from MS to Google, and most of those haters would rather see WP8 than Android competing with their beloved iOS nowadays. So it looks more like hate against whoever is dominating their brand, than hate against specific brand as per se. If WP8 manages to get some decent market share, I'm sure MS will get more of that good ol' hate - not for being MS, but for being successful ;)
    The thing is that tablet sales are soaking up extra demand for PC's, while PC sales decline. If you add together iPad and Mac sales, I think you'd see a different story.
  17. #17  
    But that's just it... PC sales aren't really declining. They're just not growing. Most people don't buy a tablet as a replacement, they buy it as an accessory. At least, not yet.

    The irony is Apple hasn't really changed that... but Windows 8 and Windows RT might.
    aubreyq likes this.
  18. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    But that's just it... PC sales aren't really declining. They're just not growing. Most people don't buy a tablet as a replacement, they buy it as an accessory. At least, not yet.

    The irony is Apple hasn't really changed that... but Windows 8 and Windows RT might.
    Well Apple found a way to sell tablets... Microsoft failed terribly...

    And some people would swear that Apple created the first tablet ever.
  19. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    985 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I don't think it's so much hating Microsoft. Rather, Microsoft is perceived as the dull, boring OS one uses at work.

    Other folks might still remember the truly awful versions of Windows, such as 98 and ME, or the BSOD.

    I'm not aware of too many folks who hate Windows 7.
    This.

    Microsoft doesn't get near the vitrol as it did with ME, BoB and Vista, and whatever venom directed their way is from other O/S users.

    I like Microsoft. Their stuff just works.

    Without the bs of an iconic spokesperson.
    My next phone...
  20. smoledman's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,282 Global Posts
    #20  
    Apple has been trouncing Microsoft in the market, so this is what happens. I have to deal with it everyday.
  21. smoledman's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,282 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    Well Apple found a way to sell tablets... Microsoft failed terribly...

    And some people would swear that Apple created the first tablet ever.
    Microsoft never had a true mobile OS until now. So don't judge until 2013.
  22. jabz9's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #22  
    Idc if WP8 doesnt go number 1 as long as Microsoft does supporting it and developers make alot of apps for it then im good
  23. smoledman's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,282 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabz9 View Post
    Idc if WP8 doesnt go number 1 as long as Microsoft does supporting it and developers make alot of apps for it then im good
    I agree, what I want is the platform to thrive even if it's not making Apple level profits.
  24. jabz9's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    I agree, what I want is the platform to thrive even if it's not making Apple level profits.
    true and i would like if me and a few close friends would have windows phone.

    i know its nerdy and weird but i like it when i see a stranger with a Windows phone and i feel i must ask them how do they feel about it.
  25. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    985 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Apple has been trouncing Microsoft in the market, so this is what happens. I have to deal with it everyday.
    In what? The phone market? The tablet market? Sure - they should be - they're well established.
    But in the software market? They will never touch MSFT.
    Never.

    At least MSFT has a chance to grab some marketshare from Apple in the phone realm.
    My next phone...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions