Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

I convinced 7 people - mostly friends and her girlfriends :) And I get one for my Mother :)

So far I've converted myself and have three other friends very interested in the 920 when it releases. I'm still on Android but am sold on WP8 and the Lumia 920. I'm sure once I have it in my hand it will be much easier to convert people.

Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    ..and when you recommend a phone to someone. Be prepared to be their tech support rep, who is on call 24/7.
    so TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    I don't try to "convince" anyone to buy anything. If people want feedback or opinion, it is provided but that is as far as it goes. I see no reason to proselytize for any product. In fact I find the idea of elevating a product to the point that one is essentially worshipping it to be very distasteful.

With all of that said, I must admit I am rather skeptical that you have convinced 221 people to buy a product that they have never touched and will not even be able to purchase for another month. Your chiming in a couple times to repeat the number and then frame things such that you sound like a teenage boy boasting about their mythical romantics conquests reinforces my skepticism....
    im with you. Even I have my doubts. 221 is too big a number.

8 friends of mine will get a windows phone after they saw me with the lumia 900 a couple of times. 5 of them are iPHone users right now. Rest Andriod.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    As a kid and teenager, I used Atari ST computers. I'm all-too-familiar with the "try and sell everyone you know on this great tech product that is under-appreciated in the market."

I'm not going to do that again. It was frustrating and still failed.

Microsoft has $55 billion in the bank. If they can't muster the cash to market, position and price the WP ecosystem to the point where people will buy it on their own, anything we do isn't going to have a significant impact.
    Thanked by:

Only 2 so far, my wife and my mother in law. More once I have the 920 in my hands. :D

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Microsoft has $55 billion in the bank. If they can't muster the cash to market, position and price the WP ecosystem to the point where people will buy it on their own, anything we do isn't going to have a significant impact.
    But all of us are sheep to some extent. Sharing your good (and bad) tech experiences with family, friends and coworkers is not selling, it's helping. Not everyone is as well informed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Nataku4ca likes this.

My friends are too stupid and hipster to convince.
    I have a few church friends who are interested.
  10. cgk

Global Posts
    7,709 Global Posts
    If people fool themselves that buying a phone off mega-corp x rather than mega-corp y makes them sort of special individual rather than just another member of the great unwashed... I respectfully suggest they get a grip of themselves.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    My sister actually had a Windows Phone first because she liked the LG Quantum Slider phone. She is going to get a WP8 device too. There is also a person at work who is a fellow photographer who wants to check out the Lumia 920 but isn't ready to commit to the platform so she wants to check out mine when I get one but she is excited at the preview pictures that engadget has been posting.

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    I don't exclusively recommend Windows Phone. I do not believe it is the best platform for everyone. I did convince my mother in law she would be happier with Windows Phone than Android or iOS. My brother in law asked my opinion and I thought he would be happier on Android. My wife is on Windows Phone 7 now, but I think she would be happier with the iPhone 5. The only reason I got her a Titan instead of a 4S in the first place was that the iPhone had a tiny screen. She is also interested in the 920. She will likely be getting one of the two for Christmas (iPhone 5 or Lumia 920).
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    you convinced 221 kids in New Zealand to get wp8?
    palandri likes this.

Up till now I have convinced 7 friends and family memebers to switch to WP7. Every one of them is very satisfied.

And one of those have convinced a couple of friends o switch so the snowball has started Rolling.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,758 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    you convinced 221 kids in New Zealand to get wp8?
    His count maybe a little bit on the high side. :D
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Villain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    His count maybe a little bit on the high side. :D
    Nothing compared to the 374 people I convince in 21 seconds by doing a speech on top of a mountain assisted by the pope.

Hi 1st time poster when I saw this thread I couldn't resist. So as of right now I've convinced my girlfriend and her family, my family, my best friend and his dad, and a couple of other friends and coworkers so about 80 people. (Mainly because of the NL920)

I have convinced many of my friends who, most of them, have blackberry's and are tired of the fact that they have a bad app store. I've always supported windows phone since I got my Arrive, which by the way I still have(;

about 500 people, almost all my employees! and ordered 500 lumia 920 for all my employees, of coz not include office boy:D
    Well I got a friend to get a 900 once he played with my Focus a year and a half ago. My moms 820 just came in the mail today. Girlfriend says she wants a 920 now since her Gingerbread Android is a POS. Ill take 3 for now haha. Honestly I dont have to pitch it to anyone, usually just letting someone play around with one is enough to get them interested.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Recommended to two others (non-power users). There are some to whom I cannot recommend WP8, knowing all of those little bugs, limitations, functional and design oddities that WP8 has. Don't want them to get annoyed too much.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    None.

I don't try to convince people to buy one device or another, I'm not much of an evangelist. I used to be, for Apple computers years ago.

Long ago though, I decided that the best thing for me to do was just to give people my honest advice on these things when they ask for it. I've recommended a WP7 phone (before WP8) to one person and she bought one. I didn't recommend it because I'm trying to promote Windows Phone, I did it because she asked me what to get and I honestly felt it was the best choice for her needs. The iPhone would have been too expensive and wasn't offered on her carrier (T-mobile) and I wouldn't recommend an Android phone to anyone other than a nerdy poweruser who is going to enjoy troubleshooting and tinkering. Android sucks for normal people, so 99 times out of 100 I'm going to recommend either an iPhone or a Windows Phone depending on the circumstances.

Like socialcarpet, I recommend phones that might actually suit said people rather than try to push WP to everyone regardless of what they want and need.

That is also what I did with the N8. I was amongst the first to get one and people were asking me online if they should get it and it's not one or two times I recommended people iPhones or Android devices based on what they told me their needs were.

I also often use this analogy of WP sorta being in the middle. iOS is fairly fast and fluid and easy to use, but not capable of overly much in the end. Android then again is capable of a lot, but comes at the cost of user experience and few other things (performance, security...). WP then again may not be as bling as iOS (depends, I frankly think iOS to be quite terrible, but it has its charms I gues) or as capable as Android, but it is far more user intuitive and fluider than Android, while not being quite as handicapped as iOS. So if people say they want to be able to do it all on their phones, I often recommend Android (except if they emphasise stuff like Office and Exchange). If they want basically an entertainment device first and mobile phone second and dont care for much than apps, I might recommend iOS.

Naturally I like to promote WP when possible, but I don't do it when it's clear it's not what the person wants or needs.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I hope to convince about 300k people within next year :) I am pushing to have the Lumia 920 as the next company phone for my company... but stuff like that doesn't happen overnight and of course we need to see the phone perform over a few months out in the filed...
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by leo74 View Post
    I hope to convince about 300k people within next year :) I am pushing to have the Lumia 920 as the next company phone for my company... but stuff like that doesn't happen overnight and of course we need to see the phone perform over a few months out in the filed...
    That gives me enough time to get a part time job at AT&T and get your account. :)

“You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.”― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast