Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
Like Tree2Likes
  1. paulishuku's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
       #1  
    Ok, so Nokia stock has been dropping ever since their event.. At 2.85 a share im tempted to dump some money into their future. What do you guys think?

    Just for comparison, the year the iPhone came out apple stock was $80 a share.
    In 2003 before the ipod came out apple shares were a measly $6 per share..
  2. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    #2  
    I plan on getting 300 shares myself. Trying to wait to see if it goes lower before a expected boom.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  3. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulishuku View Post
    Ok, so Nokia stock has been dropping ever since their event.
    False. They had a big one-day drop on the day of the event, then regained most of the lost ground between September 5th and September 14th, and have been in a slow slide down since September 14th, but are still well above their price of September 5th. Which in turn is well above the $1.69 they hit in July of 2012.

    NOK - Stock Quote for Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A - MSN Money
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
  4. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #4  
    It's a speculative investment.

    I tend to recommend not getting tied up in any stocks in an industry/company that you're emotionally or professionally tied up in, as that clouds your judgment.
  5. larrynj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    262 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    It's a speculative investment.

    I tend to recommend not getting tied up in any stocks in an industry/company that you're emotionally or professionally tied up in, as that clouds your judgment.
    That's certainly the smart thing to do.

    I bought some last week just for the heck of it. More as a fun gamble because it's dirt cheap. Is it possible that I lose half or even all of it? Sure, but is it also possible it doubles or triples if WP8 takes off.

    To me it's like going to the casino but not leaving the house. If I lose ok no problem, if I win great. It's simply entertainment money not retirement or savings.

    “You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.”― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)
  6. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,420 Global Posts
    #6  
    I'm pretty confident that the stock will go up, unfortunately I bought my shares (first stock purchase ever!) when it was $3.30 a share :(

    Maybe I'm crazy, but if they keep striking licensing deals with their maps and WP8 is a success I don't see why the stock won't be at least $5-$6 this time next year. From there who knows!?
  7. diaspar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #7  
    I bought some as well. the pontential lost is limited but the room for going up is way more than nose diving. Hey, when do you see some stock this cheap whike having some amazing products. sure they can blow it...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  8. nzrocketman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #8  
    Looks like the Nokia Shares are starting to gain some momentum.
  9. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #9  
    You can lose your money in worse ways. I'll say go for it
  10. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #10  
    Unfortunately, with the poor financial news they are going to reveal here shortly, I expect it to drop again.
  11. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,942 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Unfortunately, with the poor financial news they are going to reveal here shortly, I expect it to drop again.
    Good. The people who don't know the company and strategy will jump off, making it cheaper for people like me. Hooray!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Good. The people who don't know the company and strategy will jump off, making it cheaper for people like me. Hooray!
    They don't call you Winning Guy for nothing ;)
  13. #13  
    I bought 684 shares at the beginning of the month and plan on doubling that at the end of this month and that will be it for me.
    Im investing solely on the buzz, Im coming from a top end android phone to WP8, and I regard myself as an early adopter, tech savvy and Im betting that if Im doing this, then others will.
    I fully expect that there will be a slow gradual rise in the SP over the next 2-5 yrs which is my timeframe, though I might get out earlier if the stock rises quicker than that..
    I also pay attention to what brands my partner buys when shopping, another early indication of a company that might do well..
  14. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    #14  
    Apple went up on a non stop rocket ship ride because they market the **** out of everything they do. Every other commercial was an itunes add showcasing a few hot apps. That is what I remember 3-4 years ago at least. I do not watch cable or network TV anymore so my pop knowledge on TV content is waining.
  15. #15  
    The other thing to remember is that Nokia in Europe are still a well regarded brand - people over 25 trust them, excellent build quality, all they need is an OS people want to use, and WP8 answers a few of those questions...
  16. #16  
    Well, after the financial results were announced for Q3, it appears that Nokia's on the up and up. They endured a tough 2 years, but I think the L920 signifies a new beginning for Nokia.

    I hope we can hear of 10 million smart device sales in Q4. I honestly think that will be a victory for Nokia if they can do that.
  17. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    #17  
    LMFAO. A $1.27 Billion dollar loss, sixth consecutive quarterly loss, and revenue down 19% is on the "up and up"? I'd hate to see when they on an downward spiral.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    LMFAO. A $1.27 Billion dollar loss, sixth consecutive quarterly loss, and revenue down 19% is on the "up and up"? I'd hate to see when they on an downward spiral.
    Wrong words used, perhaps. But when the strategy works and the company is showing signs of recovery, I am excited. XD
  19. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #19  
    The underlying financial performance after one time writeoffs was much better than I expected. They need only a moderate hit in consumer to return to profitability.
  20. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    #20  
    When you look in the internal number. They doing "OK" in all areas except the smartphone market.

    What is Asha and why didn't they go with that over WP7. [looks like megoo]
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  21. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    The underlying financial performance after one time writeoffs was much better than I expected. They need only a moderate hit in consumer to return to profitability.
    Good to see you coming round miller! ;)

    In fact, over half of Nokia's losses during the last three quarters were due to one time expenses and write offs (closing factories worldwide and relocating them to Vietnam, severance pay packages, etc.)
  22. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    When you look in the internal number. They doing "OK" in all areas except the smartphone market.

    What is Asha and why didn't they go with that over WP7. [looks like megoo]
    Asha runs S40, and the latest iterations of Asha have full touch and have elements of the Swipe UI in MeeGo. Unfortunately, S40 looks dated and does not exactly have an active app ecosystem. Asha models are very cheap, and sells well in third world countries where they need a good phone with inbuilt services and cheap access to the internet.

    Nokia Launches Asha 308 And 309; Prices Start From Rs 6200 | TechTree.com

    WP is what Nokia wants to use in its premium smartphones, I will presume.
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    When you look in the internal number. They doing "OK" in all areas except the smartphone market.

    What is Asha and why didn't they go with that over WP7.
    Asha is their Symbian based quasi-smartphone linup (also runs angry birds). It is a huge hit in developing nations (2nd world, not 3rd). Asha was in development long before Nokia partnered with Microsoft. Nokia released it because Asha devices can still be sold at lower price points than WP7 devices... and of course because WP7 devices are stuck in 2011.

    Asha probably won't go away completely until WP8 gets down to Asha price levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    LMFAO. A $1.27 Billion dollar loss, sixth consecutive quarterly loss, and revenue down 19% is on the "up and up"? I'd hate to see when they on an downward spiral.
    I once thought about stocks this way too, but that isn't how stocks work. Stock prices aren't based on a companies current financial situation, but on where the majority of investors expect a company to be headed.

    If investors are expecting a loss of $1 billion, that expectation is priced into the stocks value. Should the company end up reporting "only" $500 million in losses, the stocks value will rise as a result. That is pretty much what happened here, or so analysts say (enjoy only with a healthy serving of salt)...

    I think the NOK bears blinked, and already have or are at least contemplating becoming bulls.
  24. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    #24  
    I looked it up and yeah, they cheap models. I thought Nokia was going to make some super cheap WP device. Those Asha phones are selling pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heron_Kusanagi View Post
    Asha runs S40, and the latest iterations of Asha have full touch and have elements of the Swipe UI in MeeGo. Unfortunately, S40 looks dated and does not exactly have an active app ecosystem. Asha models are very cheap, and sells well in third world countries where they need a good phone with inbuilt services and cheap access to the internet.

    Nokia Launches Asha 308 And 309; Prices Start From Rs 6200 | TechTree.com

    WP is what Nokia wants to use in its premium smartphones, I will presume.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  25. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    #25  
    Don't see why they won't make old Lumia phones the new "low end" and sell them at $150 like the Asha phones. Unless Asha phone are way cheaper to make.

    Stock prices are normally based on current situation and where they are headed. IDK where the stock is as of today, but I haven't seen any financial companies recommend buying Nokia stock in a long time. Maybe it'll drop so low to where people will be like "screw it, it's too cheap to pass up."
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Asha is their Symbian based quasi-smartphone linup (also runs angry birds). It is a huge hit in developing nations (2nd world, not 3rd). Asha was in development long before Nokia partnered with Microsoft. Nokia released it because Asha devices can still be sold at lower price points than WP7 devices... and of course because WP7 devices are stuck in 2011.

    Asha probably won't go away completely until WP8 gets down to Asha price levels.



    I once thought about stocks this way too, but that isn't how stocks work. Stock prices aren't based on a companies current financial situation, but on where the majority of investors expect a company to be headed.

    If investors are expecting a loss of $1 billion, that expectation is priced into the stocks value. Should the company end up reporting "only" $500 million in losses, the stocks value will rise as a result. That is pretty much what happened here, or so analysts say (enjoy only with a healthy serving of salt)...

    I think the NOK bears blinked, and already have or are at least contemplating becoming bulls.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B