1.    #1  
    I have a LG Quantum with 7.5, and while Iím excited for the 7.8 update, I know Iíll need to get a WP8 phone eventually.

My biggest concern for that eventual hardware change is whether or not I will be able to somehow transfer information that isnít currently up or down-loadable to a phone Ė namely text messages Ė from my Quantum to the new phone.

Back in the pre-WP7 days, this was done EASILY with the old MyPhone setup, by which photos, texts, and other info was synced from the phone to Windows Live or some cloud service, and then synced back to the new phone.

Is there any chance that something like this will be available for those of us wanting to save and transfer stuff like texts to a new phone?
    Developer

Thats going to be tricky as there is no text message API. We could HOPE that Microsoft, in the new 7.8 build, add some kind of cloud text message sync. I think that might be a bit too much of a hope though.

My opinion is realise you will lose your text messages, and this isn't a bad thing as long as you note down anything important. At least contacts are cloud based so they transfer neatly.
    Windows Phone/XNA Developer

Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I realize this is a terrible workaround, but have people start texting to your google voice number (I assume you have one, they are awesome). Then all texts you have will be stored for you off your phone, but also easily integrated in your phone via an app like GoVoice.

I know this doesn't help with old messages but it's an idea for the future.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    I realize this is a terrible workaround, but have people start texting to your google voice number (I assume you have one, they are awesome). Then all texts you have will be stored for you off your phone, but also easily integrated in your phone via an app like GoVoice.

I know this doesn't help with old messages but it's an idea for the future.
    Thanks for the ideas - it appears there is a pretty popular Feature Suggestion over on their UserVoice website (do we know if the WP people look at/care about that or is it just there for us to feel better) requesting this is added as a feature.

Device backup

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEggleston View Post
    Thanks for the ideas - it appears there is a pretty popular Feature Suggestion over on their UserVoice website (do we know if the WP people look at/care about that or is it just there for us to feel better) requesting this is added as a feature.

Device backup
    Someone at MS does look at the UserVoice site. They have admins that mark features as under consideration, and they occasionally respond to posts there.

I don't really care about preserving my texts, but backup and transfer of application data sure would be nice. It's a feature that's long overdue IMO.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    well WP8 is suppose to have all does backup options coming , hopefully

BUT for WP7.5 the only thing I can suggests is the Machine CELLBRITE witch MOST cellphone stores will have,

that machine can pretty much back up anything. (depending on phone). call your local store for details.

more info here: Cellebrite - Mobile Forensics and Data transfer solutions
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Anyone hear any updates on this? I'm itching to get one of the new Nokias and the only thing holding me back is all the texts from my Samsung Focus.