Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. 3DPiper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have an old Samsung Focus I am going to give to my daughter to use as basically a Zune..
    She can use it with wifi signals, but not any cell functions (no SIM card)..
    Is there a way to completely turn off the cell radio so it doesn't use the battery?
    We may eventually get a straight talk plan, but not yet...
  2. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,420 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPiper View Post
    I have an old Samsung Focus I am going to give to my daughter to use as basically a Zune..
    She can use it with wifi signals, but not any cell functions (no SIM card)..
    Is there a way to completely turn off the cell radio so it doesn't use the battery?
    We may eventually get a straight talk plan, but not yet...
    This is what I use my Titan for. Turn it into Airplane mode. You can then turn any other radios on. I turn the WiFi on when I'm traveling to pick up on airports networks and Bluetooth when I'm using my sound system. Between all this I can use it for about 2 weeks without getting below 40%.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

    Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
  3. 3DPiper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
       #3  
    Awesome!

    Another question: with no sim card, is there anyway to message the phone over wifi (SMS or otherwise)? A seperate app, perhaps? I know I can email, but sometimes you need to say "hey, we are out front waiting on you"..
  4. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,420 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPiper View Post
    Awesome!

    Another question: with no sim card, is there anyway to message the phone over wifi (SMS or otherwise)? A seperate app, perhaps? I know I can email, but sometimes you need to say "hey, we are out front waiting on you"..
    There are some SMS apps such as Google Voice or What'sApp but email is probably best if her account is set to 'push' she'll get the email just as quickly as going through one of those apps, assuming she is connected to WiFi.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

    Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPiper View Post
    Awesome!

    Another question: with no sim card, is there anyway to message the phone over wifi (SMS or otherwise)? A seperate app, perhaps? I know I can email, but sometimes you need to say "hey, we are out front waiting on you"..
    You should be able to message her through windows live messenger. Only if both of you have an account.
  6. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,420 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoftjunkie View Post
    You should be able to message her through windows live messenger. Only if both of you have an account.
    I think the biggest problem you'll run into (email or messenger) is that the Focus (is it on 7.5 or 7.8? Not sure if it makes a difference here) can't maintain WiFi when the screen is locked unlike with WP8. This means that if she's using the phone and the screen is off she won't reconnect to WiFi and get the message until she turns the screen back on and it reconnects.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

    Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
  7. 3DPiper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
       #7  
    Isn;t there an app that keeps your wifi active..? I thought I saw that...

    Also: did we ever get an official compatible microSD card list? I may want to buy a card to put in it so she can watch movies..

Similar Threads

  1. Alarm no sound qith phone turned off
    By Elena Pardo in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 06:46 PM
  2. Does your phone turn off whilst charging?
    By Pedro Hicken in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 09:59 PM
  3. WP7 Phone turns off in pocket
    By Kibosh in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 01:34 AM
  4. My phone turned off during update
    By nikana in forum LG Quantum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
  5. Radio doesnt turn off?
    By techprincesse in forum HTC Arrive / 7 Pro
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

B