Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stephen Vogel
  • 1 Post By Stephen Vogel

Here in New Zealand Vodafone have confirmed that they have approved Windows 7.8 for their network and it is now down to Microsoft to release the update through Zune. I guess that means 1. Its not far away and 2. It likely needs to be carrier approved/tested first.
    snowmutt likes this.

That's good to hear..Any news on Telstra releasing the update here in oz??

Why does it supprise you that an update needs to be carrier approved?

If you were a carrier with thousands of phones, would you just blanket apply a Microsoft update, without at least checking it yourself? What happens if it goes wrong? How much will it cost you, if you get it wrong?

By the same measure, if you were Microsoft, would you want to accept liability for replacing thousands of phones if your update caused issues, by bypassing the carrier?

i think this is only applicable to models that are carrier branded, though i guess country variant Firmwares dont need it, just a thought (not an expert).

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    you were a carrier with thousands of phones, would you just blanket apply a Microsoft update

Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Why does it supprise you that an update needs to be carrier approved?

If you were a carrier with thousands of phones, would you just blanket apply a Microsoft update, without at least checking it yourself? What happens if it goes wrong? How much will it cost you, if you get it wrong?

By the same measure, if you were Microsoft, would you want to accept liability for replacing thousands of phones if your update caused issues, by bypassing the carrier?
    Not saying I'm surprised, just some folks on here have been hoping that carriers wouldn't need to be involved as they have had poor experiences in the past with their carrier being slow to approve updates.
    snowmutt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mark nt View Post
    That's good to hear..Any news on Telstra releasing the update here in oz??
    Haven't heard anything about oz. You guys aren't normally far behind us haha :-)

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    This is exciting! It'll be nice to breathe some new life into my Quantum until WP8 is ready for prime-time.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,429 Global Posts
    I'm guessing by the time I get 7.8 I'll already own a Lumia 920. I've got Carrier Unbranded/Unlocked so I should receive it when MS release. Knowing my luck though Three will find some way to block the update because I'm with them and it's not a phone you could ever get on their network (you had to buy SIM-free or on PAYG from a place like CPW).

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."