Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Just came in as of 3:02pm EST
    An update on Windows Phone 7.8

Windows Phone 7.8 also includes some other cool stuff. It doubles the number of theme and accent colors—to 20—so you can make your phone even more personal. There are also new lock screen features: the option to automatically display the Bing Picture of the Day plus the ‘A1B2C3’ PIN/password challenge to prevent accidental device wipes on phones connected to Exchange accounts.

blah blah blah

We know you’re eager to get the Windows Phone 7.8 update, and we want you to know that we’re working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved, and rolled out to as many devices as possible in early 2013. As we work to quickly get this in the hands of our loyal users, we’re also striving to deliver a high-quality release and ensure a smooth transition for our widely expanded services.

Thank you for your support of Windows Phone.
    I know....I know MS doesn't say much...

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    November 28...

1jaxstate1 likes this.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    "Early 2013"? Wow. They are doing an astonishing job pissing off as many users as possible.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I might have a new phone by then. I was looking forward to this update.

I am going to try forget about 7.8 for now

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Booooooo. :(

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjalsma View Post
    "Early 2013"? Wow. They are doing an astonishing job pissing off as many users as possible.
    I second that. Just give a date and that's it.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan View Post
    November 28...

Man, this gave me a nice chuckle.

/thanks

-Doc
    Actual location: Inside the system itself.

Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.

Microsoft doesn't care about windows phone 7 anymore. They are devoting everything to the windows 8 platform. That is the future.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Will 7.8 offer backup features like WP8 does for texts etc?

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Do you think the "lock screen features" includes the ability to customize which notifications are present there? I know it includes the Bing lock screen and, as it says above, whatever that password thing is, but I'm curious if the notification customization will be available, too.

Well goodbye WP7.5
    Cannot wait till June 2013.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dba415 View Post
    Microsoft doesn't care about windows phone 7 anymore. They are devoting everything to the windows 8 platform. That is the future.
    Do they think that by dropping support for the previous version people will go to the new? This is not making me want to sign a contract and get WP8.

MS isn't dropping support for 7.x.

NEW 7.x devices will continue to be sold around the world as low-end smartphones.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I know that but I don't think an exact date for an update is too much to ask.

If they're still working on it, then an exact date may really be too much to ask. That may have a goal of releasing it ASAP. So if it passes QA, then they'll have a release date. If it doesn't pass QA, it will take longer.

They probably don't want to rush this out.
    Jazmac likes this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    Do they think that by dropping support for the previous version people will go to the new? This is not making me want to sign a contract and get WP8.
    7.5 is different than 8. 8 has least 18months support.

I think it a risky move to push this into the new year without a date certain. At least a month certain. Early 2013 could be anywhere from Jan to the end of March. A full 4 months from now. I'm already getting a sense that my Nokia 900 "beta test" phone has outlived its importance and MS main focus is its new flagship 8 and beyond. Whatever the case, not much I can do about it right now.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    I think it a risky move to push this into the new year without a date certain. At least a month certain. Early 2013 could be anywhere from Jan to the end of March. A full 4 months from now. I'm already getting a sense that my Nokia 900 "beta test" phone has outlived its importance and MS main focus is its new flagship 8 and beyond. Whatever the case, not much I can do about it right now.
    That's what im thinking about my Focus Flash.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I actually wrote a letter to Steve Ballmer stating how the early/mid-term adopters who can't upgrade right now were the foundation that helped build this platform into what it is today. All I stated my case and asked for just some sign of appreciation for those of us who stuck by and advocated for the OS. So provided the email address I got from a website was correct, the phone number they had listed was, hopefully I can get some sort of a response from an aid or something and maybe it will go somewhere. Probably not though, my email was sent yesterday.

At least when I emailed Stephen Elop over Nokia support completely disregarding my 7 defective Lumia 900's, I got a call from his assistant with a couple hours and had my issues resolved. They were prompt and eager to find out my needs and meet them. Hope Big Microsoft would have such practices.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    This does have me leaning away from WP phone when my contract renewal comes up next September. I hate to say it, but I might even switch to an iPhone. I would perfer a Blackberry but who knows what's going to happen with them and Android is out of the question. Sucks because I spent so much time and trying to convince family and friends to buy a WP. Can't do that now if everytime a new OS version requires new hardware, the previous hardware users are left hanging on miniscule tidbits of information and nothing solid to at least hang a hat on.

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    Maybe it was ready, then got pushed back because they are going to release it at the same time alongside the windows phone 8 upgrade. Purely speculation... But maybe that's so they can include the mystic notification centre in 7.8!!Fingers crossed :DThis would also by some time for the Samsung Ativ.... Since Samsung obviously JUST HAD TO prematurely announce it.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    What will happen if April 30th comes along and no sign of 7.8?

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeemm View Post
    What will happen if April 30th comes along and no sign of 7.8?
    Seppuku (harakiri)

Nothing will happen. I certain would want try WP 7.8 but its not the end of the world. Our WP7.5 will still function.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast