Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HeyCori
  • 1 Post By Old_Cus
  • 2 Post By blehblehbleh
  1.    #1  
    Microsoft confirms Windows Phone 7.8 to have more than just the new Start screen - Neowin

Today at Tech Ed in New Zealand, Microsoft confirmed that Windows Phone 7.8, the soon to be announced update to existing Windows Phone handsets, will be including more than just the new Windows Phone 8 Start screen, and that it will indeed include new features.

Obviously, Microsoft wouldn't say what those features are, but it's great to know the platform will get more than just the bare minimum. They did say that past Windows Phone 7.8, the OEM's are going to provide their own updates that enhance the experience even further, and that the platform won't be abandoned entirely.

More news on the update is expected to come in the next month or so, as Windows Phone 8 is released to the public.
    "Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
    Big Supes likes this.

Well, what do ya know, 33,000 votes really does put a message out there.

Global Posts
    2,725 Global Posts
    I really can't wait and if this does prove to be true, I am making an I told you so topic
    Nokia Lumia 1020 owner here...

Global Posts
    2,140 Global Posts
    Go nz!!!!
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Well, here's hoping. Maybe it will be enough to make me stay with WP longer.

On a slightly separate note, I'm pleased Nokia mentioned that a lot of the photo stuff they were showing off would also get versions for existing phones. I was worried I would be getting completely left behind, but it seems not :)
    I knew it all along

I'm still withholding judgement until it's released. I love my L900 with tango as it is so anything additional is just icing on the cake but I have this feeling I can't shake that 7.8 was an afterthought.

Time will tell.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.
  9. mkr10001
    Am i the only one who saw this coming...?

Was it not a complete no brainer that we would get more than just the new start screen!??!

Well, to be fair you have to ask, was it always going to happen or did it happen because 33,000 people voted on the uservoice website?
    I call shenanigans... if Neowin's assumption is the slide they posted, then there's not even grounds for the idea. I am really not expecting much, although I reserve the right to proudly be wrong.

Actually, they did say on Wednesday that the Lumia 900 would get Lenses functionality, so it's not entirely hard to fathom some other features.

Said this from the start. Here's hoping for our second gen 7.5 peeps it's true. :)
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  13. mkr10001
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Well, to be fair you have to ask, was it always going to happen or did it happen because 33,000 people voted on the uservoice website?
    Was always going to happen. Obviously we won't get alllllllll the new features and we probably won't get as many as we should or could have BUT anyone who thought all we were getting was JUST the new start screen is silly

Quote Originally Posted by mkr10001 View Post
    Was always going to happen. Obviously we won't get alllllllll the new features and we probably won't get as many as we should or could have BUT anyone who thought all we were getting was JUST the new start screen is silly
    I don't know, I think it's a toss up unless we know when the decision was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    Microsoft confirms Windows Phone 7.8 to have more than just the new Start screen - Neowin

Today at Tech Ed in New Zealand, Microsoft confirmed that Windows Phone 7.8, the soon to be announced update to existing Windows Phone handsets, will be including more than just the new Windows Phone 8 Start screen, and that it will indeed include new features.

Obviously, Microsoft wouldn't say what those features are, but it's great to know the platform will get more than just the bare minimum. They did say that past Windows Phone 7.8, the OEM's are going to provide their own updates that enhance the experience even further, and that the platform won't be abandoned entirely.

More news on the update is expected to come in the next month or so, as Windows Phone 8 is released to the public.
    what is the source of this information?
    can you cite the sources?

Also a member of the Windows Phone team has posted on their User Voice page asking for suggestions for exactly which features WP 7.5 users want on Windows Phone 8.
    for more information..go here http://forums.wpcentral.com/os-discussion/197036.htm