Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ade333

I'm a big Zune...err Xbox Music... user and usually just connect my phone (trophy) to my car stereo with a 3.5mm audio cable.

It works, but I'm looking for something more.

I'm ready to replace my OEM system and have double din space, so I can fit just about anything in my car. And I'll be hoping to pick up a new WP8 handset when they launch on Verizon.

So... can anyone share some ideas on what I could/should be doing to have a better, simpler experience?

Use Bluetooth audio?
    Leave a device (my old trophy or zune HD) in my car and mount it so it's powered and cabled?
    Any specific head units that work better with zune?
    parez81 likes this.

Wp8 is supposed to show storage via usb, so any usb headunit should work. But I wouldn't gamle, id wait for wp8 then look for a headunit.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    USB would provide the highest possible sound quality but it would only be for everything already saved to the phone so second to that would be to use Bluetooth.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,344 Global Posts
    If you are looking to use a cable waiting for WP8 might be the best bet. If Bluetooth is what you are interested in go ahead and buy a head unit because WP7/7.5 and 8 will work with it.

I still think for audio iPhone is way superior to WP. Especially for car audio.
    Haven't had a very good experience with audio/video on WP. It just lacks so much that should be on board.

Just my two cents...

Global Posts
    735 Global Posts
    I use my WP with a Bluetooth speaker at my house. It works very well. For Christmas, I bought my girlfriend a Sony head unit for her car with Bluetooth. I have limited experience, since we mostly always take my car when we are together, but it's been flawless when I've been present.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by genuine555 View Post
    I still think for audio iPhone is way superior to WP. Especially for car audio.
    Haven't had a very good experience with audio/video on WP. It just lacks so much that should be on board.

Just my two cents...

And that's all this post is worth. Car audio on WP is equal or superior to the iPhone, with Bluetooth enabled you can use the voice feature to read, dictate and send texts all while a song is playing (of course it pauses in the process). You can also listen to music on demand in the main player, something you still can't do with iTunes.

I have to disagree with you Eric. IPhone is loads better.

Wp7 has a low bluetooth bit rate so the quality is not very good (there are ways to increase it on developer phones)

Yet pretty much every car stereo will work with a iPhone these days. Via a cable so you get better quality.

The biggest thing I miss about owning an iPhone was car stereo capabilities.

I have a Pioneer x930bt, which is a higher-end headunit, but it works pretty seamlessly with the windows phone, in my experience.

i leave my bluetooth on in the phone, walk into the car, and the headunit picks it up automatically. hasn't failed once.

loads contacts into the headunit via bluetooth, so you can choose contacts from the headunit rather than the phone.

shows "received", "dialed" , "missed", (which happened while in the car).

bluetooth audio to me works great, i'm able to stream youtube videos (the quality isn't that good with that) or just play music through zune, if needed.

however, i have an ipod classic wired in the glovebox as my primary music source.

i mostly use the bluetooth for the phone aspect, not the music, but in that regard, it's been flawless.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    I have to disagree with you Eric. IPhone is loads better.

Wp7 has a low bluetooth bit rate so the quality is not very good (there are ways to increase it on developer phones)

Yet pretty much every car stereo will work with a iPhone these days. Via a cable so you get better quality.

The biggest thing I miss about owning an iPhone was car stereo capabilities.

The bitrate is no lower than 1.5m which is 2 channel uncompressed LPCM at 48khz. Same bitrate of DTV,DVDs etc. Also using the jack works no different either at least from my experience.
    I have a lumia 920 and am currently looking for a car stereo receiver for less than $100. Just in general, does using the USB port to connect to smartphone charge the phone at the same time it's playing music? Also, is it like AUX or does USB actually HAVE to scan the whole storage and find files to play?
    Thanks guys!