Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SleepyTheDon
  • 1 Post By palandri

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    I can't find any updated threads about this question..

Can an unlocked Nokia Lumia work for T-Mobile?

Can I still use apps on it like Telenav?

Will it have 3g/4g?

Thanks.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    You're not alone. I haven't found a way to get an AT&T Lumia unlocked for T-Mobile. Maybe once WP8 drops then AT&T/Nokia will release the unlock codes.
    You're probably better off buying the international 900 rather than the AT&T version due to the unlock issues. It will have 3G/4G as soon as T-mobile completes their spectrum refarm which is supposed to be in Q4.

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrc717 View Post

Will it have 3g/4g?

Thanks.
    Yes it will work you will need to download Nokia's network app to get the settings so that you can send and receive MMS (pictures) messages

The speed will be Edge (2G) Yes I am speaking from experience because I have my white 900 on T-Mobile right now

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrc717 View Post

Will it have 3g/4g?

Thanks.
    Yes it will work you will need to download Nokia's network app to get the settings so that you can send and receive MMS (pictures) messages

T-Mobile tech support has no clue so when you call they will either tell you its a a Tmo phone so there is no support or guarantee or they will try but and not figure it out.

The speed will be Edge (2G) Yes I am speaking from experience because I have my white 900 on T-Mobile right now

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    You're not alone. I haven't found a way to get an AT&T Lumia unlocked for T-Mobile. Maybe once WP8 drops then AT&T/Nokia will release the unlock codes.
    10/9 At&t started releasing the unlock codes just call them they will give it to you
    HeyCori likes this.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTheDon View Post
    10/9 At&t started releasing the unlock codes just call them they will give it to you
    Yup, I did a couple weeks back. :)

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Yes Nokia has a network app that will configure everything for you. Everything works except tethering. I've been using one since October when they released the unlocked codes

I just called At&T and the dummy said that as of 12/14/12 they are no longer giving unlock codes for the 900. I need to get this phone unlocked ASAP. What should I do?

I got an unlocked lumia 900 on tmobile. Mine gets 4G speeds sometimes. It seems to prefer the Edge network, which is kind of lame, Because 4G is just HSDPA+. Edge is just horrible, at minimum it should always use HSDPA(+) AKA 4G.

What do you think is the reason it always falls back to "E" Edge?
    What Frequency is the "4G" HSDPA?
    What frequency is "E" Edge?

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Rivera View Post
    I just called At&T and the dummy said that as of 12/14/12 they are no longer giving unlock codes for the 900. I need to get this phone unlocked ASAP. What should I do?
    My buddy was able to unlock it through Ebay vendor. He bouhgt the unit off ebay to begin with and when he called ATT, he was told the phone had been reported lost/stolen. He apparently went the ebay vendor route and is now on the Tmobile prepaid. Its working, because i see him using it at work.
    i can unlock it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakoh View Post
    I got an unlocked lumia 900 on tmobile. Mine gets 4G speeds sometimes. It seems to prefer the Edge network, which is kind of lame, Because 4G is just HSDPA+. Edge is just horrible, at minimum it should always use HSDPA(+) AKA 4G.

What do you think is the reason it always falls back to "E" Edge?
    What Frequency is the "4G" HSDPA?
    What frequency is "E" Edge?
    The reason is because since the lumia 900 was made to use AT&T bands , Is compatible only with 2G and Edge of T-mobile. Once T-mo finish the refarm it will work on the band 1900 wich AT&T uses too at 3g or HSPA+

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

Can u help me unlock mine plz

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts
    Back then, I bought a Lumia 920 unlocked from O2 and got it set up on T-Mobile with full 3G/HSPA+ bands already functional. They didn't seem too happy about it, however.

So yeah, usually an unlocked or international version of a device will be compatible with any carrier. If it's from AT&T however, you might have to wait a little bit until its been verified to work on the carrier of your choice.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    AT&T gave me tge unlock code to mine. I would assume it would be able to work under any GSM carrier once you pop in the sim and enter the code.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,031 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Deborah View Post
    AT&T gave me tge unlock code to mine. I would assume it would be able to work under any GSM carrier once you pop in the sim and enter the code.
    Correct. You may only get 2G on T-Mobile unless your area has been refarmed by T-Mobile, then you'll get 3G.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I spoke to a T-Mo rep a while back and they'd said I would get 3G but no LTE, so I don't know. Maybe I'll call back to double check my area. I've been undecided on switching, and I'd hate to be stuck with Edge speeds if I do.

can you help me unlock my nokia lumia 900? for t-mobile? =)

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally Jones1 View Post
    can you help me unlock my nokia lumia 900? for t-mobile? =)
    If you are still an ATT sub call them they will provide you with a free code unique to your IMEI again free