Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Hi all, earlier today I was surfing around on the internet with my Lumia 800 when I accidently found my way to a not so friendly page. A grey pop up (in the grey design of the windows phone keyboard) appeared on my screen telling me something along the lines of "your pc has got a virus". It said "pc" and not "phone" or something like that. I panicked and closed the browser and deleted all cookies and history and so on. I'm quite sure I was using that data connection and not WiFi.
    My question is now: Have I got a virus or something on my Lumia 800? How to know, if yes how to remove? In other words, is it broken? :( Thank you all, I hope you can help me. :/

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    Can you call Microsoft support?

I doubt you got a virus, though it's probably not impossible. If your concerned i would recommend downloading one of the anti virus programs from the market place. I don't know he good they are but you should be able to scan tour phone. Also keep an eye on tour phones performance, if it starts running real slow or doing thing out of the ordinary then you may have cause for concern

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    That's one of those generic scare tactic messages that websites put up quite often.

Your Lumia does not have a virus. Beyond just the fact that it's a phone and not a PC it runs on the ARM platform, not on Win32 which would make it fairly difficult to get a virus that would actually work on it.

Global Posts
    3,198 Global Posts
    No you don't.
    No such thing as a virus on windows phone at this point now if we're talking about Android then most certainly.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    No you don't.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,178 Global Posts
    You have every WP virus ever created. Now the rest of the WP community is protected from ever getting one. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Well, I've seen no odd behaviour from my phone so hopefully that was false alarm. I have to admit that I thought it unlikely but I really needed someone to tell not to worry about it so thanks guys. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    You have every WP virus ever created. Now the rest of the WP community is protected from ever getting one. Thank you for your sacrifice.
    Lol, sacrifice is my way of living lol... :P

That little gray popup is just the way the WP browser shows javascript alerts. So any website can show any message it wants in that little popup window.

So no, you don't have a virus, it's just a shady website trying to scare you. And don't go downloading any antivirus apps from the marketplace. Even if they were created with good intent, they don't have the ability to scan your system files anyway, so they're useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    That little gray popup is just the way the WP browser shows javascript alerts. So any website can show any message it wants in that little popup window.

So no, you don't have a virus, it's just a shady website trying to scare you. And don't go downloading any antivirus apps from the marketplace. Even if they were created with good intent, they don't have the ability to scan your system files anyway, so they're useless.

I've yet to see a popup of any kind show up on WP.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    No you don't have a virus. You just went to a web page with a stupid pop-up add that says you do.

Personally I think the people who make real viruses AND fake pop-up crap like this should be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    I've yet to see a popup of any kind show up on WP.
    Not sure what you mean by this. This is how the browser displays JavaScript alerts.

Anyone can replicate this on your phone. Just create a favorite and paste this into the address box:

javascript:alert('omg virus!!!1')

Then open that from the favorites menu and you'll see it.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Global Posts
    2,494 Global Posts
    No, it's a ploy to get your credit card number or personal info. Had you not closed the browser one of the following would have occurred:
    1. They would have tried to sell you a program to remove the virus (note, this program would not have been able to install on your phone). Buying there program would give them your credit card info, then they would have proceeded to make charges on it.
    Or
    2. They would have offered a free program to get rid of the virus (also wouldn't have installed on your phone). If you were on a pc and downloaded this free program, it would have told you it needed permission to run as administrator to remove the virus. It would have then been able to harvest any and all data it wanted off of your computer, install another program on your computer, change any settings it wanted, or make your computer part of a botnet.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,144 Global Posts
    Viruses are one thing that scares me about WP8 sharing the same core as Win 8. Will it lead to easy WP viruses or will there be differences that will keep the mobile community safe?

Sry for the hijackery.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8)

Global Posts
    2,494 Global Posts
    There will be some differences. WP8 shares the windows 8 kernel, but does not support all the api's and programming functions that windows 8 does. For example, no third party app can run as administrator on windows phone. In fact, no app can install unless it is from the marketplace. That safeguard alone will protect us for the foreseeable future. The main reasons Android has such a malware problem are Google doesn't approve/check apps before publishing to Google Play (Mocrosoft does check apps prior to publishing) and Android allows the installation of applications from outside the marketplace (aka, side loading. Only available on developer unlocked windows phones)
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Viruses are one thing that scares me about WP8 sharing the same core as Win 8. Will it lead to easy WP viruses or will there be differences that will keep the mobile community safe?

Sry for the hijackery.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

The "walled garden" of iOS and Windows Phone that people like to complain about is one of the main reasons they don't have virus and malware problems that plague Android.

You avoid this by having a careful screening process in an official apps marketplace and by locking off large portions of the inner workings of your closed source OS.

This is a GOOD thing for most people.

If you want the smartphone equivalent of unprotected sex with street hookers, get an Android.

iOS and Windows Phone are more like a monogamous relationship with a faithful partner.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Thanks guys, it's great to hear that I need not worry. Also nice knowing what that grey pop-up really means. Thank you all, it scared me a bit in a second.

On my pc, though, I assume my Antivirus would pick up any virus. I know well enough never to listen to any "install this to remove that"-messages. ;)

Not sure what you mean by this. This is how the browser displays JavaScript alerts.

Anyone can replicate this on your phone. Just create a favorite and paste this into the address box:

Thanks a lot. I did that and now I think I have a virus!!!:P

Quote Originally Posted by Marute View Post
    Thanks guys, it's great to hear that I need not worry. Also nice knowing what that grey pop-up really means. Thank you all, it scared me a bit in a second.

On my pc, though, I assume my Antivirus would pick up any virus. I know well enough never to listen to any "install this to remove that"-messages. ;)
    Even if you have an antivirus on your PC, just be careful. There are always new and creative ways that viruses are written. And AV companies might not know about a way to fix or block it until days or weeks later.

I mean I've never seen an auto popup ad, I've seen those alerts before.

Given the market share of Windows Phone I find it very difficult for WP specific viruses to spread.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    If you want the smartphone equivalent of unprotected sex with street hookers, get an Android.

iOS and Windows Phone are more like a monogamous relationship with a faithful partner.
    Hahahaha, although I guess that currently the iOS relationship would perhaps be a bit more exciting as there are more toys to play with!!!

My nokia lumia 720 when I slid the screen up to try work on it, itself start opening application. when typing a message it erase or keep closing the keyboard. so who ever says there is no virus on the Windows Phone please explain what could be there problem here? I can't even chat on whatsapp because when I try typing it opens the persons profile. please help. I did reset it to factory default it doesn't work it still comes up with the same problems.
    Last edited by zerocool; 11-25-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: speeling

Your screen/digitizer is ****ed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast