Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. TheNamelessMan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #1  
    Got a Lumia 900 yesterday. So far like it alot. There were a lot of apps I used on Android, and want to know if there is a comparable replacement through windows mobile...

    1. Wireless data transfer. Do I have to plug my phone into a PC and rune Zune if I want to transfer media from a pc to my phone? If so thats very cumbersome.

    2. a good gtalk app/client?
  2. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #2  
    hey TheNameslessMan

    :D:D WELCOME TO WPCENTRAL :D:D

    1. no you DO NOT need to plug your phone into your PC to sync , we can do WIFI sync BUT it requires you to plug your phone into a AC charge

    for more info check out this thread: http://forums.wpcentral.com/os-discussion/191338.htm

    2: we have a few g-talk apps I think, but im not sure witch once are better , maybe some one will come in and give you some suggestions for that.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  3. TheNamelessMan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks for the info.

    I'm looking for less of a sync option and more of a wireless data transfer option. Like if a friend has a document on his PC, and no cables are around and I need it on my phone. Android has wireless data transfer...didn't know if WP Mobile has something like this...
  4. jj14x's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    #4  
    I don't think Lumia does (yet). But why not just email it?

    Edit: Which android wireless data transfer are you referring to? (Bluetooth? or over wifi?)
  5. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #5  
    No wireless data transfer yet, but with Nokia will be coming out with a Bluetooth transfer app and NFC support.
  6. ejb222's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    #6  
    I was able to transfer my contacts via bluetooth from my old iPhone to my Lumia...why isn't there an app for file transfering this way yet?!
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

    http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ejb222 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejb222/
  7. xalasten's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #7  
    You can use skydive app on the phone and it pc to keep things transferred. I use it for the same reason. It is not as convenient as just pluggin it into a pc but it is great in other ways
  8. Ordeith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessMan View Post
    Thanks for the info.

    I'm looking for less of a sync option and more of a wireless data transfer option. Like if a friend has a document on his PC, and no cables are around and I need it on my phone. Android has wireless data transfer...didn't know if WP Mobile has something like this...
    Re: Wireless transfer

    You can accomplish this through SkyDrive.
  9. TheNamelessMan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #9  
    Thanks guys, thought of a one more.

    1. Caller ID Pictures...is there a reason they are blurry? Can they be fixed?
  10. hardcoreplur's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessMan View Post
    Thanks guys, thought of a one more.

    1. Caller ID Pictures...is there a reason they are blurry? Can they be fixed?
    It is how your phone is pulling the pictures. if they are from facebook it is as high resolution as the pict from facebook. but if it a pict from your Live account is will be 200x200. and the phone will pixel-double it.
    you can fix by changing the pict on the phone itself instead of on live.com

    I hope that helps.
  11. TheNamelessMan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreplur View Post
    It is how your phone is pulling the pictures. if they are from facebook it is as high resolution as the pict from facebook. but if it a pict from your Live account is will be 200x200. and the phone will pixel-double it.
    you can fix by changing the pict on the phone itself instead of on live.com

    I hope that helps.

    Example. I took a picture of a friend with my Lumia and assigned it to his contact. When he calls, a heavily pixelated/distorted version comes.
  12. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    428 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessMan View Post
    Example. I took a picture of a friend with my Lumia and assigned it to his contact. When he calls, a heavily pixelated/distorted version comes.
    i assume the original picture isn't blurry to begin with?

    i just tried on mine, if i put a clear picture that is on the phone on to a profile it shows up cleanly

    i searched on the net and found that apparently if you have google account it could cause your images to scale down, do you have gmail on the phone?
  13. TheNamelessMan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataku4ca View Post
    i assume the original picture isn't blurry to begin with?

    i just tried on mine, if i put a clear picture that is on the phone on to a profile it shows up cleanly

    i searched on the net and found that apparently if you have google account it could cause your images to scale down, do you have gmail on the phone?
    I do have gmail contacts, but i deleted the gmail picture of my friend and tried replacing it with the new one...still blurry.
  14. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    428 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessMan View Post
    I do have gmail contacts, but i deleted the gmail picture of my friend and tried replacing it with the new one...still blurry.
    did u replace the one on the gmail account or create a new one in live and link it? gmail only allows 96x96, not sure if thats the issue though
  15. dtboos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    606 Posts
    Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    #15  
    The issue with crappy resolution contact photos is because of Gmail. It resizes them to 96x96 then when it syn'c back to your phone, you now have a 96x96 picture that is blown up to the size you see on your screen when they call.

    I moved all my contacts to my hotmail and replaced the pictures afterward and no issues since.
  16. Hypnopottamus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    #16  
    As far as a good gtalk app/client goes, try GoVoice or MetroTalk. Both have free versions.

    Personally, I prefer MetroTalk because it can give you up to date/live notifications. It is a bit laborious to set up, but they have great instructions at the app website. Once set up, I believe it is second to none on ANY platform.

Posting Permissions