Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I have been going through a couple of defective Lumia 710 devices.

I gave up and bought a Radar.

Imagine my shock to discover that, due to all the replacements, I was now at my "five device limit" on my Live.com account, and couldn't use any of my apps!

Imagine my annoyance when the phone instructed me to delete one of the devices using Zune, only to discover that Microsoft had completely stripped away all device management functionality!

Imagine my rage when I discovered I couldn't manage the phones and Windows Phone marketplace online!

Imagine my surprise when I learned that Microsoft had not thought through the implications of this change!

So I am stuck with a useless smartphone that won't run my apps and no way to fix it, because Microsoft eliminated the only way to access the functionalty required (Zune), without putting any thought into it whatsoever.

Worst of all, the phone still instructs you to use Zune to delete the previous phones, even though you can't.

If this isn't fixed within 24 hours, I am dumping Windows Phone. I am tired of these sorts of "mistakes" constantly happening.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/account

Remove Phone.

You are welcome.
    rdubmu, Osz, ramrac and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    2,711 Global Posts
    I guess you already opened a chat with Windows Phone support:

https://support.live.com/default.asp...ct=Zune&scrx=1

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LJKelley View Post
    https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/account

Remove Phone.

You are welcome.
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/os-discussion/190310.htm

That appears to not work, as the OP has discovered already.

To be fair to Microsoft, they probably never expected anyone to actually buy 5 of their phones. /zing. (I kid I kid)

You go to Settings -> Account -> devices. and remove or click forget this device under the device.. cant remember you select them by the silhouette at the bottom.

-EDIT-

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-ma...er-per-live-id
    Last edited by Canesfan625; 04-28-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    ramrac likes this.
    Developer

Selecting the devices from the silhouette at the bottom removes their sync relationship with the zune client, but it doesn't delete the device to free up that limit. They used to be listed under the computers and zune devices.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: DanSmithKY
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSmithKY View Post
    Selecting the devices from the silhouette at the bottom removes their sync relationship with the zune client, but it doesn't delete the device to free up that limit. They used to be listed under the computers and zune devices.
    Settings -> Account -> Computers and Devices should be the same thing. Its supposed to be anyway.

It says Zune Music Pass but IIRC it works for the entire association. I think they just forgot to update the text or something. If it has truly been broken you just contact the Zune support folks and they reset it on their end. the only caveat is they just reset everything. from 5 straight to 0
    Last edited by Canesfan625; 04-28-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Honest mistake on your part possibly, but you most certainly can remove a device online. You will need to go here: https://www.windowsphone.com/account sign in, and you should see all your devices listed and ability to remove them seperately.

Oh, and it DOES work. I used it to remove my old HTC 7 Mozart.

EDIT:

Hmm, read your other posts. Apparently, you believe/have found it doesn't remove link to marketplace?

It specifically says your device would be de-linked. I would contact support in your case.
    Last edited by Bearach; 04-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Can only have 4 devices with zune pass. I had that problem when i exchanged my lumia 900. Get on chat support w ms and he can take whatever phone off the list. You will have to download music to a phone w gamertag to activate music pass on that phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Deleting online via the web site doesn't work, that simply removes the association with "find my phone."

Deleting via Zune only removes the association for Zune Pass, not Windows Phone. Since I didn't use Zune Pass, none of my phones are listed.

Pretty unreal that Microsoft would remove this functionality and destroy user experience. Even worse, the phone still instructs you to use the Zune client, along with Microsoft's own (latest updated) tech support document for the problem.

It's an academic problem at this point, since this is the proverbial camel-spine-breaking straw... went to Sprint and got an iPhone 4S. But it would still be good to have the problem fixed for those who have the patience for this sort of poor user experience.

At the very least, Microsoft should have warned people it was going to remove the functionality from Zune player beforehand, and given a drop-dead date, rather than just cutting off the functionality and issuing a blog post "explaining" why. That would have caught the issue before it actually rendered my phone useless.

Apple and Google wouldn't have done something this stupid and amateurish. Frankly, I would have said the same thing about Microsoft as well, prior to this. These sorts of mistakes are made by tiny startups with no resources, not companies serious about competing in the hard-nosed smartphone game. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/os-discussion/190310.htm

That appears to not work, as the OP has discovered already.

To be fair to Microsoft, they probably never expected anyone to actually buy 5 of their phones. /zing. (I kid I kid)
    um yea this isn't a joke thread. You want joke threads goto the off topic section.

Well, I don't understand why you didn't contact support.

It's simpler than returning and buying a new phone....

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Deleting online via the web site doesn't work, that simply removes the association with "find my phone."

Deleting via Zune only removes the association for Zune Pass, not Windows Phone. Since I didn't use Zune Pass, none of my phones are listed.

Pretty unreal that Microsoft would remove this functionality and destroy user experience. Even worse, the phone still instructs you to use the Zune client, along with Microsoft's own (latest updated) tech support document for the problem.

It's an academic problem at this point, since this is the proverbial camel-spine-breaking straw... went to Sprint and got an iPhone 4S. But it would still be good to have the problem fixed for those who have the patience for this sort of poor user experience.

At the very least, Microsoft should have warned people it was going to remove the functionality from Zune player beforehand, and given a drop-dead date, rather than just cutting off the functionality and issuing a blog post "explaining" why. That would have caught the issue before it actually rendered my phone useless.

Apple and Google wouldn't have done something this stupid and amateurish. Frankly, I would have said the same thing about Microsoft as well, prior to this. These sorts of mistakes are made by tiny startups with no resources, not companies serious about competing in the hard-nosed smartphone game. :(
    As soon as you cut out the Drama and telling us how bad life is and contact support the quicker it will be resolved.

And you dont think Apple does "stupid and amateurish" things? How long have you been using iTunes?

Global Posts
    2,711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    As soon as you cut out the Drama and telling us how bad life is and contact support the quicker it will be resolved.

And you dont think Apple does "stupid and amateurish" things? How long have you been using iTunes?
    I said in the third post of this thread to contact support and even gave a link. Why hasn't OP done that? .

I'm sorry but this is wrong. I don't know why it hasn't worked for you. Which is why you should contact support.

When removing the device with the procedure I, and others have said, it specifically tells you the device will be removed from the marketplace too. That you will not be able to purchase applications on the device once removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I said in the third post of this thread to contact support and even gave a link. Why hasn't OP done that? .
    I'd still like to know how he went through five Lumias already.

When I replaced my HD7 under warranty, I managed to remove the old one - no problem, using the online account.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

I had the 5 phone limit happened to me when I bought the lumia (had 3 HD7s, radar and Titan)/ I could not remove any phones becuase I did hard resets a few times etc. I didnt have a ***** fest. I somply contact windowsphone twitter support, found a chat link and they reset all my devices within 24hrs. In the mean time I did other things in my life other than download apps.
    rdubmu likes this.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Why even make a thread if you're not going to try what the people here suggest (contact support)? Just pathetic.

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    This guy just wants to get on a soap box to ***** and moan. The fact that he's been through five "defective" phones screams "user error"
    eric12341 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Blaming defective devices and poor experience on "user error" is stupid.

I shouldn't have to defend the fact that I had multiple defective devices that pushed me over the five-device limit. (I guess defective LCDs with smears across the inside of the screen that show in bright or dark light are "user error.")

And no, deleting the devices from the Windows Phone "marketplace" site online does nothing. I already did that (deleted all devices, in fact) and still get the "you need to remove a device in Zune."

I shouldn't have to wait days, weeks or months for a broken OS to be fixed via "help tickets." I shouldn't have to wait days for a tweeter to get back to me, or have to IM with Microsoft to get a working phone.

Could my mom do any of those things? Nope. Would someone who had a problem with Google Android, Apple iOS, or RIM BlackBerry reasonably expect to follow all the rabbit holes I've been told to follow? Nope.

You don't break the only way to fix this problem (the Zune software), without releasing another clear set of instructions on how to fix it. (Hint: Microsoft's own support site advises people to use now-broken Zune).

That's TERRIBLE user experience.

Google gets it.

Apple gets it.

Even RIM gets it.

Microsoft doesn't.

Makes me sad to say so, since I was such a proponent of Windows Phone, but it's true. This OS is NOT ready for prime time.
    Blaming defective devices and poor experience on "user error" is stupid.

I shouldn't have to defend the fact that I had multiple defective devices that pushed me over the five-device limit. (I guess defective LCDs with smears across the inside of the screen that show in bright or dark light are "user error.")

And no, deleting the devices from the Windows Phone "marketplace" site online does nothing. I already did that (deleted all devices, in fact) and still get the "you need to remove a device in Zune."

I shouldn't have to wait days, weeks or months for a broken OS to be fixed via "help tickets." I shouldn't have to wait days for a tweeter to get back to me, or have to IM with Microsoft to get a working phone.

Could my mom do any of those things? Nope. Would someone who had a problem with Google Android, Apple iOS, or RIM BlackBerry reasonably expect to follow all the rabbit holes I've been told to follow? Nope.

You don't break the only way to fix this problem (the Zune software), without releasing another clear set of instructions on how to fix it. (Hint: Microsoft's own support site advises people to use now-broken Zune).

That's TERRIBLE user experience.

Google gets it.

Apple gets it.

Even RIM gets it.

Microsoft doesn't.

Makes me sad to say so, since I was such a proponent of Windows Phone, but it's true. This OS is NOT ready for prime time.
    So did you call up Microsoft or not?
    socialcarpet likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Contact tech support.

How many times to we need to tell you this?

Several people have already posted that they were able to have this resolved via Zune Support in a matter of MINUTES.

With all the time you have wasted complaining here, this could have been resolved a long time ago.

What kind of logic leads a person to believe posting on a forum complaining about this over and over again is a more sensible way to solve the problem than contacting Zune support?
    eric12341 likes this.

My car had a broken serpentine belt. Guess what? I didn't go crying to Chevrolet and tell them they "don't get it."

Get over yourself, dude. Making two threads on this isn't going to make us sympathetic. Sometimes in life things don't go your way. You have to treat your problems like an adult and figure out a solution. Going to someone and basically crying about it isn't going to fix things. Sure, it isn't the best policy, and they could outline it a little better, but they have their reasons.

You've been given options to have the issue resolved. I myself had to send a ticket in to have it fixed, and guess what. I waited twelve hours and now I can use five devices again. Inconvenient? Ultimately, no.

Assuming the phone experience minus this hiccup has been fine, you're just acting like a giant baby. Calm down and get a grip, man.
    Thanked by:
    eric12341, rdubmu, willied and 1 others like this.
    I'm pretty sure at this point he's just trolling. Besides apple doesn't get it either they'd just say that he's holding it wrong or something along those lines.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast