Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree1Likes
  1. fps_dean's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
       #1  
    I just picked up a new Windows phone. I've had very few issues, except one which is getting Zune to work with the phone. I have tried every option to get Zune to work with the phone, and in short, it is quite clear that it never will, at least with the amount of time that I have to put into it. In short, the computer runs Windows 2003, and I did manage to get Windows Media Player 11 installed along with Zune, but Zune won't recognize the device.

    That said, is there any way I can send music or videos to and from my phone without Zune?
  2. jbjtkbw00#AC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    #2  
    I believe it could be the OS. I got mine to work on XP SP3 which is listed as compatible. Not so sure yours is. May want to start there.
  3. Seketh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    236 Posts
    #3  
    Plug in your phone and check if there's a driver update in Windows Update, I got one in Windows 7.
  4. palandri's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6,610 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,731 Global Posts
    #4  
    Win2K3? That's server software that's 9 years old.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  5. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,699 Global Posts
    #5  
    Are you running Server 2003, becaue there isn't any Windows 2003. I doubt that Zune will work on either one and short of emailing your self the files, or maybe some way with SkyDrive, I don't think you can get them on there.
  6. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjtkbw007 View Post
    I believe it could be the OS. I got mine to work on XP SP3 which is listed as compatible. Not so sure yours is. May want to start there.
    +1 for Skydrive

    I'm not aware of a way to do it without Zune outside of Skydrive. Your original assessment is correct though. I doubt you would ever get it to work since the drivers probably don't support Windows Server much less a version that was last updated 5 years ago.
  7. fps_dean's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Are you running Server 2003, becaue there isn't any Windows 2003. I doubt that Zune will work on either one and short of emailing your self the files, or maybe some way with SkyDrive, I don't think you can get them on there.
    I can't send videos, unfortunately. And yes I am running Server 2003. After an installation hack with Orca, Zune itself works perfectly. I installed the driver for my phone, but Zune still does not recognize it. I'm not sure what I missed.

    This computer is old, but running Server 2003 it runs great, but running Windows 7/Vista, not so much. I'm not about to make the computer useless to get Zune and the phone talking, or upgrade just because of it at this point in time.

    So let's assume Zune does not work.

    There really is no other way?
  8. #8  
    Can you borrow a friend's PC?
    System requirements

    To get the most out of the Zune software, your computer should meet these system requirements:
    Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    Broadband Internet connection
    Zune Software | Sync Media Files | Download Mobile Apps | Zune Mobile | Windows Phone 7
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean View Post
    I can't send videos, unfortunately. And yes I am running Server 2003. After an installation hack with Orca, Zune itself works perfectly. I installed the driver for my phone, but Zune still does not recognize it. I'm not sure what I missed.

    This computer is old, but running Server 2003 it runs great, but running Windows 7/Vista, not so much. I'm not about to make the computer useless to get Zune and the phone talking, or upgrade just because of it at this point in time.

    So let's assume Zune does not work.

    There really is no other way?
    RAM modules can't be that expensive,buy an extra gig and then install win7 or the win8 consumer preview and you're good to go.
  10. fps_dean's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    RAM modules can't be that expensive,buy an extra gig and then install win7 or the win8 consumer preview and you're good to go.
    I have enough RAM. Windows 7 is just slow. HD access is pathetic, no matter how many drives you add to the RAID 0 array. 2008 server is fine.

    So I guess nobody really wants to answer the question?
  11. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #11  
    Someone already mentioned skydrive.
  12. thuannguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #12  
    Syncing musics and videos via Zune is annoying to me. The trick I use is to "enable" USB drive mode for my phone:
    Windows Phone 7 USB Mass Storage Hack

    However, please note that I'm not sure if this workaround works for you. It might not because your machine doesn't recognize the device in the first place.
    Thanked by:
    fps_dean likes this.
  13. Welve's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    108 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean View Post
    I have enough RAM. Windows 7 is just slow. HD access is pathetic, no matter how many drives you add to the RAID 0 array. 2008 server is fine.

    So I guess nobody really wants to answer the question?
    It isn't bad with an SSD :D

    Skydrive is your only bet that I know of...If you have a portable drive with your music and a nice friend, you could always use a friend's PC.
  14. #14  
    Custom build a new PC. Install Windows 7.

    Create new partition. Install Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
    "Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
  15. palandri's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6,610 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,731 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by thuannguy View Post
    Syncing musics and videos via Zune is annoying to me. The trick I use is to "enable" USB drive mode for my phone:
    Windows Phone 7 USB Mass Storage Hack

    However, please note that I'm not sure if this workaround works for you. It might not because your machine doesn't recognize the device in the first place.
    That may or may not work for him. In one post he says he has windows 2003 in another post he says he has windows 2008. I am not sure he knows what he's running. If he's running windows 2003 he probably only has USB 1.0 or 1.1 support
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  16. textomatic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    118 Posts
    #16  
    He needs a dumb phone... j/k! No seriously, I would do the SkyDrive thing. That's your only option other than buying a new PC or installing a Windows7/8 Consumer Preview. Also, just for ****s and giggles, connect your phone to a modern PC and make sure it works. My wife's Samsung Focus micro USB port stopped working and I went through **** and high water trying to get it work before I realized it was the micro USB port.
  17. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    #17  
    even if he got it to detect mass storage (sometimes working and mostly not is an issue with W2K3) the next hurdle is the waiting all day for the ungodly slow transfer speeds
  18. Fleon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean View Post
    I have enough RAM. Windows 7 is just slow. HD access is pathetic, no matter how many drives you add to the RAID 0 array. 2008 server is fine.

    So I guess nobody really wants to answer the question?
    If you are running Server 2003, I'm going to assume you are somewhat computer literate. Have you tried a VM with an XP or 7 install?

    The list of software incompatibilities with Server 2003 is pretty long. I'm surprised you've made it this far. Good job.
  19. fps_dean's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleon View Post
    If you are running Server 2003, I'm going to assume you are somewhat computer literate. Have you tried a VM with an XP or 7 install?

    The list of software incompatibilities with Server 2003 is pretty long. I'm surprised you've made it this far. Good job.
    I already had WMP11 installed. And configured to use Windows Media Sharing to stream to the Xbox. The latter was the hard part, having to install SSDP and UPNP wasn't easy (until the second time I did it when I found someone's rundown on how to do it). Installing Zune itself was pretty effortless as well.

    I could probably figure out this issue with a dependency list myself, but now I don't have time to toy with stuff like that anymore.

    I have got the sync working on a Windows 7 laptop, so it's not an issue with the phone.
    Two other complications -- I moved in with my girlfriend and my computer is still at my mom's. I have been waiting until I can get someone with a truck to move the desk. That runs 2008 server (which I kind of need for my personal development projects), and while there may be some install check edits needed to install Zune, everything else should just work as expected.

    The other problem is the CD ROM drives won't ever open on this thing. It doesn't make sense to replace one at this point, as I won't need this computer once I get mine. I have a copy of 2008 server and countless copies of Vista (I got more free as "promos" at launch time than anyone could ever possibly use) I could use, but hopefully I will have my own computer before I get this thing completely setup and re-formatted again.

    The work laptop is actually somewhat new but it takes 15-30 minutes to boot and be usable and also has issues talking to the home PC due to the work domain+network config (long story) so in short, that really doesn't work too well for me.

    At this point I do believe I have everything installed that I need, but there is probably some stupid configuration error somewhere. Perhaps something with user profiles or something fairly stupid.
  20. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    #20  
    You might have better luck just running Linux.
  21. palandri's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6,610 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,731 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by canesfan625 View Post
    you might have better luck just running linux.
    +1
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  22. andruthetech's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    You might have better luck just running Linux.
    I have Ubuntu 11.10 and it can not see the Lumia 800 other than just charging via USB. Skydrive seems like the only solution without Zune.

    The only thing I miss about Android or BB: no proprietory app needed to read the phone. However, the pluses of WP7 out weigh the single minus over-all
  23. palandri's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6,610 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,731 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by andruthetech View Post
    I have Ubuntu 11.10 and it can not see the Lumia 800 other than just charging via USB. Skydrive seems like the only solution without Zune.

    The only thing I miss about Android or BB: no proprietory app needed to read the phone. However, the pluses of WP7 out weigh the single minus over-all
    I was playing with Linux and my Trophy. It can see my Trophy:

    palandri-1215T palandri # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:04ec Microsoft Corp. Windows Phone (Zune)
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 13d3:5702 IMC Networks
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 13d3:3315 IMC Networks
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
    palandri-1215T palandri #
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  24. fps_dean's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    That may or may not work for him. In one post he says he has windows 2003 in another post he says he has windows 2008. I am not sure he knows what he's running. If he's running windows 2003 he probably only has USB 1.0 or 1.1 support
    I have USB 2.0. And it installed the drivers just fine, but Zune does not like them. USB support should in theory work too.

    I have Windows 2008 Server on my computer which I still have not moved yet. In short, I'm waiting to move a computer desk and I'm not about to move my computer only to rearrange the room again. If you saw the small desk I have now, you'd understand what a PITA it is.

    As it turns out, I was using zune to view my videos, which did not give me an option to upload to skydrive, When I go through pictures, the send to Skydrive option is there and that will be good enough for me until I can get my computer.
  25. fps_dean's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    even if he got it to detect mass storage (sometimes working and mostly not is an issue with W2K3) the next hurdle is the waiting all day for the ungodly slow transfer speeds
    It wouldn't be any slower on Windows server 2003 than on any other version of Windows. It should be faster than 7/Vista based on their history with poor drive access anyway.

    Anyway, I can upload to Skydrive if I go to the pictures menu and don't use Zune. I kept using Zune and not having an option, and the Skydrive app won't let me select videos to upload so I did not think I could. Sooner or later, I will get my own computer and I believe I will be able to get it working with Windows 2008 server a lot easier.

    I'm new to the WinPhone I agree that I like how the Android is plug and play with USB on any computer for sure, but I really do like my Windows Phone so much better than any Android I've ever used there really is no comparison.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B