Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Seketh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
       #1  
    ...is unbelievable unfair and biased.

    Lumia 900 review | The Verge

    Some of the things I've noticed:

    No mention of Nokia apps.

    OS and ecosystem scores below Blackberry OS.

    Overall score lower than the Lumia 800.

    Windows Phone doesn't do anything better than the competition ("I struggled to find a single thing this platform could do better than Android 4.0 or iOS 5.1")

    A video review that shows absolutely nothing, not even the bad stuff he wrote.

    Not a single, specific, good thing about Windows Phone.


    WPCentral, please do an editorial about this review. It deserves nothing less.
  2. bear_lx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    811 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,319 Global Posts
    #2  
    every tech site under the sun is reviewing this masterpiece. some good some not so good. over all, people love it. also check out cnets review, surpisingly they loved it to. listed no cons!!!
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx
  3. Seketh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyMaker View Post
    every tech site under the sun is reviewing this masterpiece. some good some not so good. over all, people love it. also check out cnets review, surpisingly they loved it to. listed no cons!!!
    Yeah, but The Verge doesn't even give a single example of a good thing about Windows Phone.

    It just bashes it over and over. No other review did that!
  4. Frenzytom's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts
    #4  
    He obviously has higher standards towards WP and I can see it go both ways; 1) making WP a stronger platform by addressing its shortcomings and 2) having complete bias toward the platform.

    I think he hits a few good points but overall, he was expecting mature features that some platforms have taken years to implement. WP is still in infancy in a super high speed world. In my opinion, stating that we should no longer give a "pass" to the OS is both short-sided and unfair.
    Sign the petition to bring more Windows Phones to Verizon Wireless. We need better choices!
    http://petitionbureau.org/wp7onvzw
    Thanks!
  5. mparker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #5  
    It's what you expect from Topolsky. There was never any chance of this phone getting a good review from him, not unless it had already been canceled or otherwise not a threat to his beloved iphone.

    Edit:
    I think his "it's time to stop giving Windows Phone a pass" comment is quite correct, however. Nokia, Microsoft, and AT&T are giving this one a major push into the market. If they want to play with the big boys then they need to be capable of playing with the big boys, which means iOS 5.x and Android 4.x. As long as WP7 was a bit player in the market then the details didn't matter (same reason that the N9/Meego could get rave reviews). But the Lumia 900 isn't likely to be a bit player, it's going to move a lot of units to a lot of people, who are going to notice the missing features and complain.

    That said, Topolsky is clearly only superficially familiar with the WP7 platform. Android and iOS are like C# and Java, they do the same things in roughly the same way so that if you know one you can pick up the other very quickly. But iOS and WP7 are like Java and Lisp, you can get the same things done but you go about if very differently, and a Java user will thrash around quite awhile in Lisp getting frustrated and griping about the parentheses. So a lot of his griping seems pretty baseless to somebody that's been using if for awhile and have figured out the "flow" of the system.
    Last edited by mparker; 04-04-2012 at 02:00 PM.
  6. JPDVM2014's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    292 Posts
    #6  
    There was some mention of good things in the review. like Josh said that the OS feels snappyand could handle anything thrown at it, but then he came right back and contradicted by saying the specs make it feel outdated. It's like he wanted to correct the "mistake" of saying something positive. Overall, it was a pretty horrible review. I even thought the engadget one was better. There were even some android users in the comments saying it was biased. When that happens, you know something is wrong. Lol.
  7. Seketh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by htom View Post
    I think he hits a few good points
    He does.

    But this is a review, not an editorial! Reviews must be balanced, bring out the negative and positive aspects of the product!

    What strikes me is that he only focused on the *negative* aspects of WP.
  8. trazer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #8  
    I really like TheVerge too, but this kind of reporting makes me rethink any other reviews they do. There were some good points he made that I totally agreed with, but the overall picture painted was unfair in my opinion.
  9. Welve's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    109 Posts
    #9  
    To me the whole article reads like he is someone that expected Windows Phone to be a copy of iOS and Android: if you can use one, you can use the others. The problem with that theory is that WP7 is truly different, which is the point of the Metro style right? Everything is going to be different and it takes some getting used to before you fully understand what you are working with.

    Example: my brother has an iPhone 4S and the other day we were looking to try a different restaurant. We had already left home though and didn't want to drive too far, he asked Siri to find restaurants around us and she pointed us to places as far as 5 miles! I pulled out my Windows Phone and tapped local scout and brough up multiple restaurants that I could see from my car and several others less than a mile away!

    The point being that both of these are integrated features of the OS, not even third party apps and Windows Phone simply did the job better. No mention of Local Scout in the review, I did a search.

    Example 2: No mention of built-in QR code reader or music identification, something WP7 does extremely well, better than my Android phone ever did. Simply put it is a great feature that is overlooked in the review because this guy knows nothing about WP7 other than playing around with it for a minute.

    Example 3: No mention of Live Tiles: a cornerstone of the OS and part of what makes the software unique, updating weather information, social networking and other factors, no mention in his "software" section.

    Example 4: No mention of Nokia Drive: free GPS software...where is that missing? Oh that's right, iOS has no free turn-by-turn direction software and Google's barely holds a Candle to Nokia Drive. Additionally, Bing Maps turn-by-turn isn't perfect, but it is on par with iOS and Android for sure.

    I could go on and on and before you say it was a phone review, I point you to comments like this, made in the review:

    "In some ways, I feel like I'm reviewing a webOS device again (but with much, much nicer hardware). There are all these wonderful ideas at play, but it's impossible to look past the nagging bugs and missing features."

    I mean come on, you really explored those "wonderful ideas." You didn't mention half of the integrated features, ignored 90% of what makes the phone unique and slapped it with label right out of the bin. People hate to give Microsoft their due when it comes to functionality, they are the "enemy" for some reason and I am getting tired of it. People are so influenced by what they think they know that they aren't even trying anything new! This is the poorest case in journalism I have ever seen.
    Thuoudo likes this.
  10. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,346 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDVM2014 View Post
    There was some mention of good things in the review. like Josh said that the OS feels snappyand could handle anything thrown at it, but then he came right back and contradicted by saying the specs make it feel outdated. It's like he wanted to correct the "mistake" of saying something positive. Overall, it was a pretty horrible review. I even thought the engadget one was better. There were even some android users in the comments saying it was biased. When that happens, you know something is wrong. Lol.
    The specs may appear to be outdated but the performance belies that assumption.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
  11. bear_lx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    811 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,319 Global Posts
    #11  
    people who are infatuated with their iphones shouldnt be writing reviews on wp anyways, of course they are going to be biased. it should be balanced, given pros and cons... this is a joke. i am more impressed with cnets and phone arenas reviews, and cnet especially is very apple biased.
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx
  12. Kahuna Cowboy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #12  
    Ummm... Josh does not use an iPhone, he has carried a Galaxy Nexus since October as his daily driver. Nilay Patel of The Verge is the resident iPhone lover.

    ... And the reason he scored the Lumia 900 lower than the 800 and some Blackberry devices is the time factor. They were reviewed some time ago, had the 900 been reviewed alongside of the 800 it would have scored higher, but 6 months later and no significant improvements from 800 specs (LTE and FFC not withstanding) it is going to cause a lower score. The tech market is always changing, and the benchmark is always being raised. A phone that scores a 9 in 2011 is not going to score a 9 again in 2012 with the same processor, RAM, camera, mediocre resolution, and the same lacking ecosystem some 6 months later. I have watched him nail many droids too with older specs being introduced. At The Verge if you're just rehashing last gen specs they will call you out to the floor for it.

    People act like a 7 is the end of the world! Sheesh!
    Thanked by:
  13. doublebullout's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    #13  
    I thought the review was pretty well done, actually. Welve, there's a very good reason why Topolsky didn't discuss Live Tiles and other unique features of WP7 in this review: this was a review of a new device, not a new OS. These are not new features of the Lumia 900, but features that have already been covered pretty thoroughly in other reviews. He is right -- it's time to stop referring to WP7 as being "in its infancy." It isn't. Microsoft needs to move with more urgency. In fact, Microsoft ought to take a look at how Nokia is launching the Lumia line. Nokia is acting as if they're only days away from bankruptcy. Nokia gets it. I'm not sure Microsoft does.


    Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S
    Thanked by:
    EAA575 
  14. Welve's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    109 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    I thought the review was pretty well done, actually. Welve, there's a very good reason why Topolsky didn't discuss Live Tiles and other unique features of WP7 in this review: this was a review of a new device, not a new OS. These are not new features of the Lumia 900, but features that have already been covered pretty thoroughly in other reviews. He is right -- it's time to stop referring to WP7 as being "in its infancy." It isn't. Microsoft needs to move with more urgency. In fact, Microsoft ought to take a look at how Nokia is launching the Lumia line. Nokia is acting as if they're only days away from bankruptcy. Nokia gets it. I'm not sure Microsoft does.


    Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    yeah, but it is garbage to say that it does nothing better than the competition, simply untrue if you look at what I said about Local Scout.

    He has a few legitimate gripes and there are reasons that Windows Phone isn't right for everyone, but when you start talking OS's in a broad sense there are multiple aspects of the Windows Phone that can and are unique and arguably superior to their competition. Refusing or failing to mention redeeming factors of the OS is just bound to annoy fans of the device that feel their eco-system is being short sold.

    I am not unreasonable and don't feel it is perfect, but he makes it sound broken and non-competitive which is absolute grade A BS.

    You also have a point, but also remember that Microsoft is late to the game and it takes time to develop software, that is a card I will let Microsoft hold until September 2012. A year after Mango, if Apollo isn't with us, my patience will be thin.
  15. SmoothDog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #15  
    How am I as a reader suppose to take that? Does it mean that he "should" of given a Software rating for WP much less in previous reviews? Does that mean that other devices he's given "Passes" to even though he should of given them a much lower score. We'll never know. All I know is that this simple comment just made me lose any respect or credibility for his reviews and the Verge.

    As for the review, he did seem to focus on the negatives and spoke in generalities without getting into details. Seemed like he couldn't put down his opinion with real examples and just threw out something to justify himself. I agree, however, on most of his rating with the exception of the Software "5" and the Ecosystem "4". An overall score of an 8 would of been acceptable IMO. 7 is OK, but obviously MANY feel he either gave it low score for clickbait (buzz), bias, or not being as familiar with WP as he should be.

    Peace out.
  16. doublebullout's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    #16  
    Everyone, Microsoft more than most, knew that the day would eventually come when WP7 would have to stand on its own merits, without the umbrella of "it's a new OS" to deflect criticism. What Topolsky is saying in this review is that day is here. Like you, though, I think many people will still cut Microsoft some slack until Apollo. Just don't expect all of the tech blogs to do the same.


    Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S
  17. Seketh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Everyone, Microsoft more than most, knew that the day would eventually come when WP7 would have to stand on its own merits, without the umbrella of "it's a new OS" to deflect criticism. What Topolsky is saying in this review is that day is here. Like you, though, I think many people will still cut Microsoft some slack until Apollo. Just don't expect all of the tech blogs to do the same.


    Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    But shouldn't that opinion be placed in an editorial, and not a review?

    I agree with him in most of his criticism, but it's a product being reviewed, and he just bashes the OS with pretty big claims (like WP not doing anything better than the competition). It's not a balanced review.
  18. bear_lx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    811 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,319 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Cowboy View Post
    Ummm... Josh does not use an iPhone, he has carried a Galaxy Nexus since October as his daily driver. Nilay Patel of The Verge is the resident iPhone lover.

    ... And the reason he scored the Lumia 900 lower than the 800 and some Blackberry devices is the time factor. They were reviewed some time ago, had the 900 been reviewed alongside of the 800 it would have scored higher, but 6 months later and no significant improvements from 800 specs (LTE and FFC not withstanding) it is going to cause a lower score. The tech market is always changing, and the benchmark is always being raised. A phone that scores a 9 in 2011 is not going to score a 9 again in 2012 with the same processor, RAM, camera, mediocre resolution, and the same lacking ecosystem some 6 months later. I have watched him nail many droids too with older specs being introduced. At The Verge if you're just rehashing last gen specs they will call you out to the floor for it.

    People act like a 7 is the end of the world! Sheesh!
    a review shouldnt be based on specs alone! we need to get away from specs so much, its crazy! this is an amazing phone, and doesnt need high end specs to run like ios. our reviews should be based off of user experience, functionality, and reliabilty. based on that, the moto atrix should rate higher than the 900, because it has higher specs... we all know what happened with that paper weight... c'mon

    this is clearly a biased review. in fact the only one i have seen, out of at least 10, that rates it so poorly. even cnet, which clearly loves apple, rates this thing 4 stars... lots of pros..... and cons.... NONE. that came straight from the horses mouth!
    Last edited by Bear lx; 04-05-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx
    cckgz4 likes this.
  19. doublebullout's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    #19  
    WP7 is not all sunshine and rainbows. Acknowledging this is not a crime, nor evidence of an anti-WP7 bias. If all y'all want is a cheerleader, then read a different blog, or stay here in the comfy, safe walls of wpcentral. Topolsky's review, warts and all, should be a wake-up call.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S
  20. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    WP7 is not all sunshine and rainbows. Acknowledging this is not a crime, nor evidence of an anti-WP7 bias. If all y'all want is a cheerleader, then read a different blog, or stay here in the comfy, safe walls of wpcentral. Topolsky's review, warts and all, should be a wake-up call.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Really glad that about 98% of the 104M current Smartphone users, and most likely 99.9% of non-Smartphone users, don't read these BS reviews from obviously biased non-objective reporters. As long as Nokia pays AT&T reps to sell the Lumia 900, it will do very well. Money talks, you know the rest.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  21. JPDVM2014's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    292 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    WP7 is not all sunshine and rainbows. Acknowledging this is not a crime, nor evidence of an anti-WP7 bias. If all y'all want is a cheerleader, then read a different blog, or stay here in the comfy, safe walls of wpcentral. Topolsky's review, warts and all, should be a wake-up call.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Like I said in another thread, the problem with The Verge's review isn't so much that he brought up negatives. It is that he failed to provide any of the positives of the phone/wp7. I don't think most people want a "cheerleader", but it would be nice to at least have a balanced review. There are plenty of reviews that say negative things. Almost all of them mention about the lack of big name apps for instance. People seem to be fine with those reviews because they still point out the positives. There were people in the comments that admitted to hating WP7, that still thought his review was horrible. Someone could review the best product in the world, but if you only focus on the negatives, then no one would know it. Granted, if someone would skip the review and just look at the 7 out of 10 score, it isn't that bad. But actually reading the review paints a completely different picture.
  22. Jrexxx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    #22  
    After 2200+ comments on this review, I think that Josh (the reviewer) understood that his review was a disaster...
  23. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,518 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,519 Global Posts
    #23  
    Reviewers are overrated. Sadly most of the people in the world have retired their brains and rely solely on other people's opinions, rather than make up their own mind from first hand experience. This review could have scored it a 1 but if it was on Tmo I would still get it because it meets my requirements, not some guy who runs a website. If people want to blindly follow others, good for them. The few of us who dont need to be spoon fed everything will make up our minds the old fashioned way, by trying it out ourselves.
    Seketh and socialcarpet like this.
  24. cdook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    671 Posts
    Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    #24  
    I haven't read the author's previous review, but I don't like his review style. It's flawed. He thinks STATS are what makes a phone good, not what the end user sees. So the phone runs at 1.4ghz and the screen resolution is 800x480. Does the general user care about these stats? No. They're going to care about battery life, screen appearance and phone performance. Now if the phone ran slow because of an outdated processor that'd be another story. But Windows Phone flies on this hardware.
  25. EAA575's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #25  
    I believe the reason why Josh may have been tough in the review is that he really wants Microsoft to succeed. He's mentioned this quite a few times on the Vergecast (mainly toward Windows 8, though) and he legitimately likes Windows Phone. He just wants it to be more mature.

    Sent from my T7575 using Board Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions