Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Birds Space won't land on Windows Phone, Redmond gets no stars - Engadget

Now I couldn't care less about the actual game. I think it is a remarkably stupid game and label people who play it stupid unless they prove otherwise.

What I find interesting in this news is the reason the drug addicts (their boss said they were the ones driving innovation in gaming at GDC and this statement can only be result of drug use) that run the company gave. They said that they would have to rewrite the game completely. First of all their game is pretty simple to rewrite (considerring the number of sales it gets). Second if the versions for Android and iOS are not different they should be written in C++ and we know that MS will allow native code Angry Birds on the platform simply because it is so popular.

My theory is that this is extortion. I believe MS paid them to port the original Angry Birds and they are going in public declaring that it is a lot of work to port their abomination to WP in order to make MS pay them again to port Angry Birds Space. I hope MS do not bend.

What do you think about this?
    Furthermore, I think apps must be able to override the search button with contextual search.
    http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...-search-button

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    Obviously they want Microsoft to pay them to port. Who doesn't? Of course, I also believe WP may not be an altogether lucrative market.

Regardless, I think Microsoft should take more steps to gouge developer interest. Throwing app contests for free WPs or the like is an inexpensive and effective solution.
    Last edited by Sentimentgx4; 03-23-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    By the time they got it ported and tested WP8 will be out; WP7 just doesn't make economic sense for Rovio at this time. By the same token it doesn't even make economic sense for Microsoft to pay Rovio to port it to WP7.

What does make economic sense is for Rovio to do a version for Metro/WinRT that will work on Win8 desktops, WoA8 tablets and WP8 phones. That can be purchased once and installed on all your W8 devices, and that shares game history across all versions.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentimentgx4 View Post

Regardless, I think Microsoft should take more steps to gouge developer interest. Throwing app contests for free WPs or the like is an inexpensive and effective solution.
    they alredy do that like every week!

Quote Originally Posted by mparker View Post
    By the time they got it ported and tested WP8 will be out; WP7 just doesn't make economic sense for Rovio at this time. By the same token it doesn't even make economic sense for Microsoft to pay Rovio to port it to WP7.

What does make economic sense is for Rovio to do a version for Metro/WinRT that will work on Win8 desktops, WoA8 tablets and WP8 phones. That can be purchased once and installed on all your W8 devices, and that shares game history across all versions.
    WP7 games will work on WP8/W8 ... btw soo I dont think thats the reason.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    WP7 games will work on WP8/W8 ... btw soo I dont think thats the reason.
    WP8 is about to become a small part of a very large Win8 ecosystem. It makes more economic sense for Rovio to target the Win8 ecosystem than to target the WP7 ecosystem.

We assume that WP7 games run well on WP8, but we don't know how well WP7 games work on Win8 and WoA8 in those different hardware environments. Do they run full-screen on a tablet? How about a desktop? Do they run in a Metro-snap window? How do they handle differences in aspect ratio? Do they take advantage of Win8 gestures on a tablet? How well do they work in a mouse environment? Do WP7 settings integrate with the Win8 charms bar the way it does in Pirates Love Daisy's? Microsoft has put a lot of work into Win8 to make sure that WinRT apps run well across multiple form factors. Work that they never put into WP7.

Why should Rovio write for the WP7 API and *hope* that the game will meet their standards on tablets and desktops, when they can write for the Win8 Metro API and *ensure* it? Why go through the hassle of developing a game via the phone emulator when they can use WinRT and develop and do nearly all the tuning and debugging directly on their desktop machine?
    Last edited by mparker; 03-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    WP8 is about to become a small part of a very large Win8 ecosystem. It makes more economic sense for Rovio to target the Win8 ecosystem than to target the WP7 ecosystem.

We assume that WP7 games run well on WP8, but we don't know how well WP7 games work on Win8 and WoA8 in those different hardware environments. Do they run full-screen on a tablet? How about a desktop? Do they run in a Metro-snap window? How do they handle differences in aspect ratio? Do they take advantage of Win8 gestures on a tablet? How well do they work in a mouse environment? Do WP7 settings integrate with the Win8 charms bar the way it does in Pirates Love Daisy's? Microsoft has put a lot of work into Win8 to make sure that WinRT apps run well across multiple form factors. Work that they never put into WP7.

Why should Rovio write for the WP7 API and *hope* that the game will meet their standards on tablets and desktops, when they can write for the Win8 Metro API and *ensure* it? Why go through the hassle of developing a game via the phone emulator when they can use WinRT and develop and do nearly all the tuning and debugging directly on their desktop machine?

we dont assume WP7 APPS will work on WP8, WE KNOW! its confirmed by MS.
    they confirmed it like 1 month ago!!! and was talked about on a PODCAST last week or the week before.

im not 100% sure of the details cause im not a DEV or programer lol , but i know for a fact that they will work!

and if anything WP7 games will work BETTER on WP8 because they will get optimized like they ALWAYS do.

the only issue4 is that DEV might have to add support at a latter date with a TOOL that MS created to make it easy . sorta like they did with QUICK RESUME with MANGO ( its ogna be a little mroe complicated ) but not time consuming.

I seriously think Rovio strait up just hates MS . because MS advertised and said WP was getting Angry birds like 6months before Rovio had said YES to WP platform. they even tweeted about it and they where MAD at MS for advertising Angry Birds on WP before they had even agreed to make it. I wouldn't be surprise if they are making MS pay for that mistake.
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 03-23-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I'm sure a phone call from Microsoft and we'll see some backtracking from Rovio. It was the Chief Marketing Officer who said that, not anyone in actual day-to-day operations authority. He wouldn't be the first CMO to require foot/mouth retraction.

Global Posts
    1,400 Global Posts
    You are saying people that play this game are stupid? Sounds like a fanboy rant to me.

WP7 has small market share, Rovio doesnt want to have resources utilized for such a small platform. Iphone and droid users are their bread and butter and they will continue to focus on them. When market share grows, it will be a different story, but until then, continue to expect resistance from developers to develop apps for WP7 platform.

This could also be a money play by Rovio to have MS pay them $$$ to have them do it. If WP7 market share is under 2 %, they have no incentive to spend resources and $$ to port or develop extensively for the WP7 platform. If MS comes in with a bag of cash and it makes sense to Rovio to port, it would be done. Money talks as always.

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I really hope this "All current Windows Phones will be up-gradable to Windows 8" is true, because you gotta think that Developers will be going crazy to make apps for Windows 8.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    the only issue4 is that DEV might have to add support at a latter date with a TOOL that MS created to make it easy . sorta like they did with QUICK RESUME with MANGO ( its ogna be a little mroe complicated ) but not time consuming.
    How many apps *still* don't have Mango quick resume? That merely needed a recompile and resubmit to the app store. And yet for many developers it apparently wasn't worth even doing that little step.

I said "work well", not "work". And by "work well" I mean work well by WP8 standards, not work well by WP7 standards. A flagship app for WP8 needs to take advantage of the new WP8 features, not just be running in WP7 compatibility mode.

The WP7 market is just too small for Rovio to bother with at the moment; no company has unlimited resources, they have to pick and choose their battles. Given the realities of the current market, given the resources to develop for multiple platforms, it makes the most financial sense to target iOS, Android, and WinRT. WinRT, because a single app gets them customers on the desktop, tablet, and phones. If you're one of those people that believes that WP8 will run *well* on current WP7 devices, then you should also believe that a WinRT version of Angry Birds Space will be running *well* on those same devices once WP8 ships, so there there is no real upside to developing a new version for WP7.

As much as we might like Rovio to do a WP7 version, they aren't a charity, and they aren't Santa Claus. It has to make economic sense to them, and if it makes economic sense then they will do it, whether they like Microsoft or not, because money generally beats emotion in these sorts of conundra.

Quote Originally Posted by RiseAgainst94 View Post
    I really hope this "All current Windows Phones will be up-gradable to Windows 8" is true, because you gotta think that Developers will be going crazy to make apps for Windows 8.
    Hopefully WP8 will tilt things in our favor. The Windows 8 store already has a hundred or so apps in it, which sounds good for an unreleased OS. Except that 7 months ago Microsoft handed out 3000 machines preloaded with Win 8 and the Metro developer software...

WinRT is a huge shift for a .NET or Win32 developer, sufficiently huge that I don't think we'll see this massive surge of apps. Existing .NET and Win32 apps can't be easily ported to Metro as the entire API has changed and 99% of the features that developers are used to are simply missing and Microsoft has repeatedly stated in the developer forums that developers should suck it up, that these features won't ever be made available in WinRT.

There will be a lot of Win8 Metro apps, the sheer number of machines running Windows 8 next year will ensure that. But I don't think it will be the sort of surge that will overwhelm Apple's lead anytime soon. A lot of developers are taking a pass on Metro for now, their customers are served well by the standard Win32 and .NET apps running on the X86 desktop. In my own company we looked at WinRT and iOS for our tablet apps and decided on iOS for now, and will revisit the WinRT question later next year or whenever Win 9 comes out.
    Last edited by mparker; 03-23-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    If WP7 market share is under 2 %, they have no incentive to spend resources and $$ to port or develop extensively for the WP7 platform.
    Which would be a great argument if I didn't have Angry Birds on my never officially released webOS phone. I think this CMO is full of it. Rovio would release it for a touchscreen fridge if it ever came to be.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Which would be a great argument if I didn't have Angry Birds on my never officially released webOS phone.
    It makes sense if HP paid them to write it, the way Microsoft did for WP7. You notice Rovio's not in a rush to release a verison of Angry Birds in Space for webOS.

Global Posts
    1,400 Global Posts
    Which would be a great argument if I didn't have Angry Birds on my never officially released webOS phone. I think this CMO is full of it. Rovio would release it for a touchscreen fridge if it ever came to be.
    WP7 has angry birds too..soooooooo?

We are talking about the new Angry Birds, Rovio has all the leverage on MS, Rovio has no incentive to port this game over and utilizing their resources for a small platform unless compensated. If you think Rovio would do it for a touchscreen fridge, you are right, but it would probably be 10,000 touch screen fridges. MS wants/needs to have angry birds on the platform, Rovio doesnt need to do anything. All Rovio needs to do is to continue pushing out new angry birds games for their top clients and MS is not one of them.

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    It makes sense if HP paid them to write it, the way Microsoft did for WP7. You notice Rovio's not in a rush to release a verison of Angry Birds in Space for webOS.
    webOS is dead. WP7 is far from it.
  15. cgk

Global Posts
    7,710 Global Posts
    WP7 might not be dead but it might also might not be at the level where it makes economic sense for them to concentrate. Some of the angry responses on here would make you think rovio were gassing puppies.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Speaking to Reuters* Rovio Chief Executive Mikael Hed said: "We are working towards getting Angry Birds Space to WP7," but confirmed a launch date had not been set yet.
    Audio update is out (unofficially but still) so just now wondering if Telia wants to join the carrier race or if i should change to 3 or tele2..

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk1 View Post
    WP7 might not be dead but it might also might not be at the level where it makes economic sense for them to concentrate.
    It's got to make more sense than trying to ensure every variation of Android is covered.

Global Posts
    1,400 Global Posts
    "Update: Reuters now reports a quote from Rovio CEO Mikael Hed saying that Angry Birds Space will actually have a Windows Phone 7 version, which is currently being worked on. We don't know what to make of this, as there are now two high-placed members of the Rovio team saying completely contradictory things, though if we had to take anyone on his word, the CEO is probably the one to heed."

Piggyback

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    "Update: Reuters now reports a quote from Rovio CEO Mikael Hed saying that Angry Birds Space will actually have a Windows Phone 7 version, which is currently being worked on. We don't know what to make of this, as there are now two high-placed members of the Rovio team saying completely contradictory things, though if we had to take anyone on his word, the CEO is probably the one to heed."

Piggyback
    Well, there you go. I guess this thread has served its purpose.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    webOS is dead. WP7 is far from it.
    WP7 has about 3 months of life left if you're a developer and about 9 months of life left if you're a user. Unless it turns out that the Gen1 & 2 handsets can't run Apollo after all, in which case WP7 has about a year of life left if you're a developer and about 2 1/5 years of life left if you're a user.

WP7 is close to EOL, it's just a question of how close. WP8 isn't a minor point upgrade, they're swapping out half the OS and aligning its direction with their desktop and tablet strategies for the next decade.

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Funny... Call must have been made :)
    Rovio: Actually there will be Angry Birds Space on Windows Phone € The Register

EDIT: Sorry, missed the comments just above mine before posting.
    WP7 has about 3 months of life left if you're a developer and about 9 months of life left if you're a user. Unless it turns out that the Gen1 & 2 handsets can't run Apollo after all, in which case WP7 has about a year of life left if you're a developer and about 2 1/5 years of life left if you're a user.

WP7 is close to EOL, it's just a question of how close. WP8 isn't a minor point upgrade, they're swapping out half the OS and aligning its direction with their desktop and tablet strategies for the next decade.
    I'm sorry but WP7 is NOT EOL! it will be overwritten with WP8 and all apps that are developed will have to be recompiled for full functionality. I don't know why developers are refusing to develop, shouldn't that be their passion?

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    I'm sorry but WP7 is NOT EOL! it will be overwritten with WP8 and all apps that are developed will have to be recompiled for full functionality.
    I don't know what you thought you were saying, but what that *means* is that WP7 will be dead. Maybe the occasional twitch, but for all practical purposes it's dead nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    I don't know why developers are refusing to develop, shouldn't that be their passion?
    For an individual developer, sure. For a company like Rovio, nope.

It's been a long time since a developer could bang out a top-flight game for funsies in his spare time. Even a simple game like Angry Birds takes a lot of money to make. And before a company invests a half-mil or so in R&D for a game like Angry Birds Space, it needs to be sure that it can get back its investment plus enough R&D to find the next big thing plus enough left over for yacht money. It's not just developers, it's graphics guys, testing, marketing, HR, IT folks to keep the mail servers running, secretaries, etc. And Apple/Google/Amazon/Microsoft take their share before any even lands in Rovio's pocket. It all adds up.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    for new Developer = WP7 is the best place to start more potential sales.

for an existing and establish DEV = Android+Iphone

reason WP is good for new devs with new app/games , is that it has WAY more potential to get attention then on Iphone/android with the 50000000000apps , it just gets lost in the mess.

they did a test on this with releasing the same app on all 3 platform , and WP app was making the most $$$ cause it was getting WAY more attention due to low amount of total apps in the marketplace.

XBL games on WP = like 80 games? takes you 2 sec to see them all , hence = more potential. unless it already has a HUGE FAN BASE!

so in the End Angry bird not coming on WP right away makes SOME sens . but completely ignoring it is stupid cause they can still make millions off of it.

specially at 2,99$ a pop on WP compare to the 0,99$ on Iphone.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    they did a test on this with releasing the same app on all 3 platform , and WP app was making the most $$$ cause it was getting WAY more attention due to low amount of total apps in the marketplace.
    Do you have a source for that?

Even if the WP app made more money than the iOS app, it doesn't matter if the developer wasn't able to recoup his up-front costs.

so in the End Angry bird not coming on WP right away makes SOME sens . but completely ignoring it is stupid cause they can still make millions off of it.

Maybe. There are good reasons Rovio to develop for iOS and Android first, then port to WP7 later. But this in itself lessens the market for Angry Birds on WP7, since many of their potential customers would have already played it on another platform by the time it gets ported to WP7.

This tells you more about how few sales they expect than it does about their profit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast