Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Want blinking LED for new text?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 77.23%
  • No

23 22.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Global Posts
    1,633 Global Posts
    Title is self explanatory. Would you want the green/red LED to blink when you have an unread/new text message?

I say yes. No reason not to. I hate how it's available for the phone but not text. I text 1000:1 text:phone calls. True story.
    My apps are on JMTK Application Development
    [Guide] How to completely switch from Gmail to Outlook.com
    Nextel phones > Sanyo Katana Eclipse X > Palm Pre > HTC Arrive > HTC Trophy

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts
    I voted YES, anything less just feels dated. My BB8830 had blinking lights and I loved it.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...

Why not if it's available, but I'm going no. Usually have audio confirmation on and just don't need it. I forget the LED is even there.
    eric12341 likes this.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Even my first flip phone had a blinking light. I was hoping Mango would have fixed it. Still hoping Apollo fixes it. Would like the option to have it for emails also.

If my only NO vote caused that last post... I vote YES LOL

I wish it had a blue LED for texts.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    5tephen and Jake_M like this.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Really more interested in Email as I miss that the most. I am not even sure if we have LEDs to blink even if they could on all the Windows Phones.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I don't have ant led's on my Lumia 800 I honistly don't miss it.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have a friend who usd to use a BB phone. I got so irritated by the constant blinking, I would make them turn the phone updside down so I couldn't see it. Drove me nuts! hehe

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbennett40 View Post
    I have a friend who usd to use a BB phone. I got so irritated by the constant blinking, I would make them turn the phone updside down so I couldn't see it. Drove me nuts! hehe
    The constant blinking is there to remind you to take action on the notification. So, instead of flipping the phone over, he could, you know, read the text.

I voted YES, however the end user should be able to disable it. That way everybody wins.
    Jake_M likes this.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    It wouldn't be bad. I thought I would miss it, but really I don't. The bigger thing is though, even if they put it in the OS build. The problem is that most WP don't have an LED light on them. I know my Samsung Focus Flash doesn't have one.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,525 Global Posts
    The blinking led is one thing I miss about my droid. I found it to be really handy. I can go either way though. After eight months without the led I don't miss it as much as I used to.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    As long as I can disable it. Some days that sucker would be on more often than off. Some texts are new related, etc., as well as some emails from my junk account are not pressing. Don't need a blinking light for those. Lock screen works fine.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    aubreyq likes this.
    I voted no, I've been about a year without it now and haven't missed it at all, not even when I first got my arrive. The lock screen works just fine for the purpose, don't understand all the "I need it so I don't have to see if I need to turn on my phone" chances are if you're picking up the phone you're going to turn it on and be on it anyway.

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Don't need or want a battery draw. I'd prefer a recurring audio (like on my microwave ;)).

My Playbook has an iteresting "glow" notification option which slightly "lifts" the corner of the screen to an underneath glow. I can have this plus a blinking LED, but I use the glow setting only. I cannot block both, but the glow-only helps conserve battery life, and the glow is on only when the screen is not dimmed of course. The blink is actually useless because I flip the convertible case lid closed when I'm not using the device.
    Every choice involves compromising...
    Zune Pass Rocks and rolls and jazzes and...
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    the GIANT 1 on my live tile and the blinking happy face is obvious enough for me to know I have a text. i know some people need a NUKE to go off to notice anything , lol. ;)

LED just an other battery drain, + I regularly check my phone so i don't need a light to tell me I have notifications.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

eric12341 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,142 Global Posts
    I miss LED notifications so much. So very much. I want an LED blink for new email, new texts, and calendar reminders.
    Lumia 620

I voted No....

For me personally, the audio confirmations and indications on the lock screen are enough.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Do you sleep, ****, eat dinner, jog,... while looking at your cell phone? If so, then high five. But for people who don't want to miss notifications, but don't want to have to look/hold their cell phones around the clock, it would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    the GIANT 1 on my live tile and the blinking happy face is obvious enough for me to know I have a text. i know some people need a NUKE to go off to notice anything , lol. ;)

LED just an other battery drain, + I regularly check my phone so i don't need a light to tell me I have notifications.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Speebs likes this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Nokia does something like this with their N9 phones, and this is the Android app I'm using. Hopefully WP7 will get something like this.

[Nokia N9]
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.notify&hl=en [Android app]
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    Do you sleep, ****, eat dinner, jog,... while looking at your cell phone? If so, then high five. But for people who don't want to miss notifications, but don't want to have to look/hold their cell phones around the clock, it would be nice.
    I don't need notifications when I sleep. They can wait... do you wake up at 4am to reply to a e-mail? lol

eat dinner = they can wait!
    i dont jog! but i should , lol but if i did job i would have music playing and the sounds would tell me :)

do you look for a light when you jog/sleep/eat dinner?? if so you might have a PHONE ADDICTION problem. ROLF!

to Check if a light is blinking or look for a live tile update.

Id rather lose 2secs of time looking for the notification then loses 1hour of battery time.

+ My cell is Always in my pocket so it's easy to access it.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 03-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

eric12341 likes this.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    Yes I Do! Thanks for noticing!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Yes I Do! Thanks for noticing!
    ok maybe your the one with a phone addiction! lol

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ok maybe your the one with a phone addiction! lol
    again thanks for noticing...;)

LED just an other battery drain
    I think an LED would actually help to save some battery life, depending on how you use your phone. I'm not exactly an expert on LEDs, but I'd guess that turning your screen on for a few seconds probably uses more power than having an LED blinking all day. If you can just check for the blinking light rather than turning the screen on you'd save a little power, not to mention a second or 2.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast