Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. mb-dape's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
       #1  
    First, this is not to provoke any of you here or to create any hard feelings, I just need som help, tips and motivation because I am so close to switch back to Android right now.

    I was using Windows Mobile since it was called Pocket PC and have had some Symbian phones too. Last year I had a Android device, which I liked, but I felt it was just a substitute until WP7.5 was eventually released in my country. I was so curious about WP7.5, I always choose MS products in first hand.

    I am sad to say, so far it is a big dissapointment. It does some things good or even excellent, but there is so much it does bad or not at all.

    So many basic things that has been standard on smarthpones for almost 10 years is missing. I wont call myself a advanced user, I just want a phone that I can use as a personal phone as well as my business phone.

    The volume setting is a joke (and I know it has been discussed). At some of the office where I work we have a "silent policy". Which mean I can not listen to music any longer, because if I use headphones and turn up the music volume I turn the ring tone on? I can not lay in bed and watch streaming video without risking to wake the better half? Sorry, but WTF? Nokias have had "silent mode" for ringtone and separate media volume for like 10-15 years? There are so many situations where a smartphone user has to be able to enjoy the media features without disturbing others. Thats not for ADVANCED users, thats for BASIC users. And why do as many as 30 different sound settings when you want to keep it simple and setting 1 is too loud in many cases anyway?

    And SMS notifications! Why not have a simple option for "showing the message" or just a "New message" notfication? Even with the phone locked my friends can read messages with "family matters", sometimes I get messages from work with info that I rather not spread, and if anyone else is near the phone then they can read it before me. That is also just BASIC.

    (On Android I even had a Private inbox with separate password, so my friends could borrow the phone and still not read "classified" messages, when or after they arrived. OK, thats a little advanced. :) )

    Okay, that was anger management part 1 :)

    But there is somethings that you maybe can help me solve.

    How do I customize the calendar tile on start screen? How do I change how many days in the feautre it shows? I sync with Exchange if it does matter.
    Why does it not even show events that will happen in two days?

    And the BIG problem, how do I make it to show my To Do-list? It sync just fine, but it does not show any To Do on the tile. I have forgot too many to do's lately for my own good because they do not show on the start screen.

    I guess there is someway, because if it's not I am speachless. I had a Nokia 8 years ago that showed me my Exchange To Do's on the start screen.

    I am dissapointed because I bought one of the most expensive phones in my region, with killer hardware and a great screen, because I wanted WP7.5 to work as good as possible.

    And then, when I ask for the most simple features, people tell me WP is for only for the most basic users, kids and wifes?

    Like if I go to a dealer and buy a expensive Ferrari, then when I got home I see there is a 65 HP Fiat engine in it.

    Yeah I blame myself too for not doing enough research but I just took for granted that 10 year old basic smartphone settings would exist on a Microsoft/HTC flagship. Since 2007 when iPhone/Android came out, the expectations has become higher, not lower for what you can do with your smartphone. Like setting a static IP-address?!

    And no, I didnt not buy this phone to have it on a shell for a year until there is an update that maybe solve any problems. I am not a beta tester, I bought what I though was a fully functional device.

    Sorry for writing so long and for any misspelling, but en is not my first language.
  2. mb-dape's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
       #2  
    And one more question, if I enter sms-conversation, and click in the field to write, sometimes it is auto capital letter, sometimes it is not. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
  3. Oldmajor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    71 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mb-dape View Post
    The volume setting is a joke (and I know it has been discussed). At some of the office where I work we have a "silent policy". Which mean I can not listen to music any longer, because if I use headphones and turn up the music volume I turn the ring tone on? I can not lay in bed and watch streaming video without risking to wake the better half? Sorry, but WTF? Nokias have had "silent mode" for ringtone and separate media volume for like 10-15 years? There are so many situations where a smartphone user has to be able to enjoy the media features without disturbing others. Thats not for ADVANCED users, thats for BASIC users. And why do as many as 30 different sound settings when you want to keep it simple and setting 1 is too loud in many cases anyway?
    You can control the ringer and volume separately. Not sure what your doing wrong but this is very easy. When you press the volume rocker and then volume controls drop down, all you have to do is switch ringer the ringer to silent and you can still control the music volume


    Quote Originally Posted by mb-dape View Post
    And one more question, if I enter sms-conversation, and click in the field to write, sometimes it is auto capital letter, sometimes it is not. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
    This is a bug that I believe has been fixed (along with the vanishing keyboard) however carriers have been blocking the last 2 updates)
    Last edited by Oldmajor; 02-28-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Additional response
    Thanked by:
  4. mb-dape's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmajor View Post
    You can control the ringer and volume separately. Not sure what your doing wrong but this is very easy. When you press the volume rocker and then volume controls drop down, all you have to do is switch ringer the ringer to silent and you can still control the music volume
    Everything is simple when you know how to do. :) I thought I had tried every setting, but I hadnt, THANKS! :) I have to remember to do that everytime I listen to music then but thats ok.

    Regarding the auto capital bug, I have got the 8107 update at least.
  5. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #5  
    Hey MB-Dape , nice WALL! lol , ill try to help the most i can, im sure others will be allong soon :)


    1. im not sure what you want for SMS , you dont want to see part of the MSG when you revive it?! my my phone is lock i cant read the msg , im not sure how your friends are doing it. i have tyo unlock it --> click on msg --> open msg -->read it. did i miss read this problem? also i hope they bring password protection for SMS/E-mails ( again maybe in WP8)

    MS concentrated on to many different aspect of the phone ( Xbox , PC , ZUNE , Personal , Media , Business ect..) that they seem to have forgotten features in some sections, again hopefully WP8 will fill the VOID :)

    2. to have your calender give you a earlier *warning* about an event , you have to change it when your CREATE the event! ( new event --> more details --> Reminder : 1 week early is max )

    3. i dont think your to-do shows up on tiles , i heard people talking about that , i might be wrong doh ( i dont really use to-do list ) maybe more people will shed light here. you could set your to-do in your calendar as a work around to have them show up...

    you can find APPS that are pretty good for *to-do-list* , that will show you on your tile!! but probably wont sync with exchange. you can try!!

    4. SMS , when ever you start a new comvo first letter auto puts a CAP for you , and after a period(.) as well. ( suppose to any ways )
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  6. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #6  
    As Oldmajor has pointed out, you can definitely listen to music whilst your phone is on Silent. Not really sure why you're having issues with this.

    Regarding SMS's agree the option for privacy would be nice. It doesn't really effect me personally as I enjoy the ability to see the bulk of the message without having to unlock. I'm usually quite busy throughout the day so it's nice to see if a SMS is worth replying to or whether it's just my girlfriend hassling me... :D

    The calender is pretty basic on WP. Personally, I don't think you can beat an old fashioned hardback dairy so my calender is only used for general stuff like doctors appointments, etc. I recommended the "Tasks" app from the marketplace. It's free and supports a live tile that'll tell you how many 'to dos' you have for that day and whether or not they're overdue. It also supports Outlook synchronisation.

    The failed auto-capital letter in the SMS seems to be a bug.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  7. mb-dape's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    Hey MB-Dape , nice WALL! lol , ill try to help the most i can, im sure others will be allong soon :)


    1. im not sure what you want for SMS , you dont want to see part of the MSG when you revive it?! my my phone is lock i cant read the msg , im not sure how your friends are doing it. i have tyo unlock it --> click on msg --> open msg -->read it. did i miss read this problem? also i hope they bring password protection for SMS/E-mails ( again maybe in WP8)

    MS concentrated on to many different aspect of the phone ( Xbox , PC , ZUNE , Personal , Media , Business ect..) that they seem to have forgotten features in some sections, again hopefully WP8 will fill the VOID :)

    2. to have your calender give you a earlier *warning* about an event , you have to change it when your CREATE the event! ( new event --> more details --> Reminder : 1 week early is max )

    3. i dont think your to-do shows up on tiles , i heard people talking about that , i might be wrong doh ( i dont really use to-do list ) maybe more people will shed light here. you could set your to-do in your calendar as a work around to have them show up...

    you can find APPS that are pretty good for *to-do-list* , that will show you on your tile!! but probably wont sync with exchange. you can try!!

    4. SMS , when ever you start a new comvo first letter auto puts a CAP for you , and after a period(.) as well. ( suppose to any ways )
    Thanks for reading my post, since I dont speak english natuarlly I guess I maybe compensate that with over describing things. :)

    Regarding SMS notifications, its about privacy. I understand that some people like to have a part of the messages shown when they are arriving, but I guess I am not alone with the wish to have an OPTION to not have it shown. I cant be alone to have private SMS messages? If I show a colleague a map on my phone, suddenly my girlfriend sends a message about whatever I dont want a colleauge to know. Or if I have my friend beside me playing with my phone, suddenly I got an message from work that a client has problems with someting, and I dont want my friend to know about that. They dont see the complete message but enough to do damage.
    So to just have the option to have the phone show "New message" instead would be so great.

    On Android I could choose which contacts whoose messages would end up in a private, locked, inbox. So I didnt have to unlock the inbox for the ordinary messages, just for the private ones. But I dont demand this fron WP7. Yet. ;)

    When it comes to the calendar, I am sorry but your solution does not work, even if I choose to have it to remind me about the event one week before it does not show up in the calendar at start screen. (Until the day before).

    I cant belive how lame this is. I bought the latest MS phone to have what I thought was the best MS Exchange sync experience.

    But I can only see the calendar events for the NEXT DAY on the start screen? And I cant have my Exchange To Do-list on my start screen? Setting them as events does not work because then they dissapear after one day, I want them to show until they are complete. And then it is not easy to get an overview of them in Outlook.

    I dont know how many times my WM6 phones, Symbian and Android have saved me from forgetting meetings, event, tasks etc. just by showing them on the first screen you see when picking up the phone.

    I actually found an quite advanced Tasks app that could sync with my Exchange. But it did just show the number of tasks on the start screen. And it was so badly translated to my language, and with no option to select english, the app wasnt useful.

    Yes, it should auto choose capital letter when writing, but sometimes mine does not, maybe 1 of 4 times. Not that big problem, but many small annoying things makes me very annoyed. ;)

    You can sync your Xbox Live Profile, integrate to Facebook on the phone and to the start page, but you can not have the phone to show your Exchange To do-list like an 8 year old mid-range Nokia can? Why didnt the seller told me I bought the most expensive toy ever. ;)
  8. mb-dape's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    As Oldmajor has pointed out, you can definitely listen to music whilst your phone is on Silent. Not really sure why you're having issues with this.
    Well, I almost always have my phone in silent, if I then connect my headphones, and start the music, there is of course no sound. So I crank up the volume with the hardware button. Then my phone auto enables the ringtone and sets it to the same volume as my music.

    But, thanks to Oldmajors fine solution, if I then after cranking up the volume push the ringer icon I can select silent mode again. I just have to remember that everytime I listen to music in a "silent" place, but it was a solution anyway.
  9. #9  
    For the record android shows texts in the same fashion as WP does and iOS flashes it in the middle of the screen. This can be turned off in settings.

Posting Permissions