View Poll Results: Are smartphones a ripoff?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I still have to have one though.

26 34.21%
  • Yes - What the **** was I thinking.

0 0%
  • No - I get stuff done with these mini-computers.

34 44.74%
  • No - How do you think I was so much time?

1 1.32%
  • Yes

2 2.63%
  • No

13 17.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I've had a smart phone for years and its finally starting to sink into my brain that smartphones are a giant global scam. What do you think?

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    I can't live without it. The prices are getting out of control, though.
    palandri likes this.

The prices for data is a ripoff, but having a smartphone is pretty useful. I am starting to wish I could go back to Wifi only, since both my apartment and university are covered with it.

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

My app: Plant Guide

Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    The carrier data plan prices are a rip-off for sure.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    LOL, Judge Daniel. Great minds think alike ;-)

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    Judge_Daniel likes this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yeah, I place a lot of blame at the foot of carriers. And now with OSes moving towards a greater emphasis of cloud services it becomes even worse.
    speedtouch likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    Not at all... they serve a purpose and they do it well.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    Would the purpose be to take all our money?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Winterfang likes this.

Carriers are a rip off.
    aubreyq and speedtouch like this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    How sweet would it be if a carrier couldn't force a data plan on us?

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    They've become a necessity, just like gas. It's a useful tool that has bailed me out on many occassions from many situations.

We may think these data plans are expensive now but I'd hate to think how expensive they're going to be when my kids are old enough for cell phones, and then in high school and college. I better start saving up!

Alas, it's the nature of the beast. I miss paying .99 cents a gallon, and $9.99 for unlimited data but I can't live without them!

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Are Smartphones a rip-off? YES.
    Are smartphones freaking awesome? YES YES YES!.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    But an absolute necessity in today's world.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    2,136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Are Smartphones a rip-off? YES.
    Are smartphones freaking awesome? YES YES YES!.
    Same here, brother.
    Lumia 620

Given all that they can do for the price I don't think smartphones are a ripoff but the price for services are a total ripoff given what they actually cost the carriers.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    In the past few years, I have had a: blackberry 7290, palm treo 680, nokia N95, motorola q9, blackberry 8800, HP Veer, and now a LG quantum

I loved all of them

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Data plans are a ridiculous rip off in Canada.
    aubreyq likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    i don't think its a rip off FAR from it actually. , you pay for what you have. i think they should actually be MORE expensive.. lol

- Pocket PC/mac ( 200$+ )
    - Internet access ( like on a PC . desktop mode) (good value$$ )
    - MP3 player (200+$+ )
    - Video /movie/net flex player ( good value$$ )
    - game console ( good value here$$ )
    - TV ( monthly value$$ )
    - GPS! ( 200$+)
    - its a phone ( at lease 100$ ) ( dont need a home phone account ( 20+$ a month)
    - time saver ( for work on personal ) depending how much you use it $$$$ time is $$$
    - Camera ( prevents buying a 100$+ camera) ( obviously doesn't replace high end cameras but for the regular client its perfect!!)

DATA PLANS:

at 30$ for 6G!!( use to be 30$ for unlimited) for data in Canada ..
    95% of users average 500-700MB ,.. so data plan are FINE! ... people assume they need unlimited . only 1% of them actually do. 99% will never go over 6G. and i doubt you guys are all in the 1% ... you guys probably dont even need the data u think you do.

bottom line , its NOT a rip off , people just like to complain.
    smartphones are worth what you pay .. all u have to do is simple math to see it.
    like i said they are actually worth more then what you pay.

as for prices in different country, that's all related to the market. and the people you sale too. here in Canada just changing province can change your monthly bills from 0-30$ a month...
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 02-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Great responses. I wish I could just get wifi only and not have to pay $25 for 400 mb of data per month.

I'm seriously thinking about crippling an old blackberry and just using it for text and phone. I find most of the apps lacking or totally useless. I think the only thing I would use in the future is skype and we haven't gotten that functionality yet.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdchris View Post
    Great responses. I wish I could just get wifi only and not have to pay $25 for 400 mb of data per month.

I'm seriously thinking about crippling an old blackberry and just using it for text and phone. I find most of the apps lacking or totally useless. I think the only thing I would use in the future is skype and we haven't gotten that functionality yet.
    Skype is coming!!! its in beta now . will see probably the APP around TANGO .. and integrated with Apollo ( in September iish )

Skype is an Other GREAT way to show value as well. that can allow you to get a MINIMUM talk plan and use skype to chat instead. ( if u don't use the full 6G of data LOL )

right before BELL discontinued the HD7 and the LG optimums quantum they where selling them on 1 year contracts NO DATA for 0$$ .. just need to find the good deals ;)

i had actually posted it on the forum when they did that. i hope some of you took advantage :P i got one just to have a extra one.. LOL.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

I have to have a phone (no landline) but the "smart" part of it is 100% a toy. If I got a smartphone for work, it would have to be issued by my employer so there is no opportunity to use it for work.

One of the many reasons I like Windows Phone is because I was hoping to be less inclined to be sucked into the Android world of constant obsolescence (among many, many other things).

My previous phone was an HTC Touch Pro that I had for 3 years and DID use for work (prior employer).

Smartphones are just another consumer electronics industry bubble that will burst someday until the next thing comes along. Plenty of people to convince that they "need" a smartphone before that happens, though.

You can tell it's a ridiculous industry because carriers are subsidizing the native cost of the devices (as much as a decent laptop) that drives people to continuously re-up at these inflated service prices every 2 years or even more frequently. If people realized what they were really paying (and paying for) I think it would be sobering. We're talking $2000 through the 2 year contract period, or much more in some cases. Yet, people look at a "$100" phone vs a "$200" phone and go "wow, I can save $100!"
    aubreyq and sdchris like this.

Do some of you really believe that smartphones are necessities? Sure, they are a major convenience, but a necessity? I am pretty sure I could get along just fine with a tablet/laptop and a dumbphone, since WiFi has saturated the airwaves around here.

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

My app: Plant Guide

Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.
    aubreyq likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Daniel View Post
    Do some of you really believe that smartphones are necessities? Sure, they are a major convenience, but a necessity? I am pretty sure I could get along just fine with a tablet/laptop and a dumbphone, since WiFi has saturated the airwaves around here.

if i dint have a smartphone , i could lose 1000 of $$ a day.

manege a team that sends you 200+ e-mails concerning sales.. and replying to them when im out of the office is a MUST ... from approving deals , to helping out colleagues.. to do exception....

i could lose dozens of sales a day. with amounts to 1000$ of dollars every day.

hows that for productivity. and that's JUST E-MAILS!! doesn't count all the other stuff i save cash on from using a cell phone

you say your fine with just a tablet? tablets and smart phones = EXACTLY the same thing... except for the RADIO part (phone)

im fine with a Smartphone . so now i DONT need a laptop/tablet that is 100% bigger.

To be fair, we could keep breaking down our necessities until we're back to this,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast