Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Don't you think the WP UI overuses/underuses space too often?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, WP needs to be tightened up and refined.

29 28.16%
  • No, the UI is exactly how it should look.

74 71.84%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree89Likes

Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
    It would probably give it an extra 20-30 minutes, if even that depending on usage. It is not a big improvement. Motorola 1Ghz devices were shipping with 1400 mAh batteries and they still had factorably more longevity than the HD7.

The issue I have is that the battery drains super fast even when you're doing relatively light tasks on the phone. It seems like the screen is imposing a large amount of battery drain, cause if the screen is off the phone lasts twice as long (i.e. can play music for twice that length of time and I can WiFi tether my iTouch for at least that long before the battery gets low - at least, probably longer from what I've seen).
    Screen, WiFi, and GPS are all top battery killers. Question for people with horrid battery life. Where are you in relation to cell towers? Radio will eat your battery like none other to maintain signal if you are in a bad area. There are other things too obviously. How often do your accounts sync, location services in apps, etc
    Banned

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    It drains proportionately faster than other smartphones when in use. My observations are comparative, not just in a vacuum - said that in my post. And I also stated it happens on wifi however my cell signal is flawless here. The radio is not the culprit. I keep gps on 100% of the time on all my phones and background tasks on wp7 can't even use gps so I doubt it's that since I never use the useless find my phone stuff.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    It would probably give it an extra 20-30 minutes, if even that depending on usage. It is not a big improvement. Motorola 1Ghz devices were shipping with 1400 mAh batteries and they still had factorably more longevity than the HD7.

The issue I have is that the battery drains super fast even when you're doing relatively light tasks on the phone. It seems like the screen is imposing a large amount of battery drain, cause if the screen is off the phone lasts twice as long (i.e. can play music for twice that length of time and I can WiFi tether my iTouch for at least that long before the battery gets low - at least, probably longer from what I've seen).
    Usually the screen is the biggest drain on battery, I guess the HD7 has a very power hungry display compared to more recent phones.

It drains proportionately faster than other smartphones when in use. My observations are comparative, not just in a vacuum - said that in my post. And I also stated it happens on wifi however my cell signal is flawless here. The radio is not the culprit. I keep gps on 100% of the time on all my phones and background tasks on wp7 can't even use gps so I doubt it's that since I never use the useless find my phone stuff.

I stated that WiFi is a player in battery consumption. Its why WiFi sleeps with the phone. There are other factors effecting WiFi. Some suggest you disable your data connection when using it for example. Location services being on uses battery regardless of background tasks. I wish that WP had a battery stats API like android so you could see what's eating your battery. When I was on android it was always display, radio, and I can't remember the 3rd I can check later though

You think 270 more mah would make it have incredible battery life? 1500 was pretty standard when this phone was released.

Um, you realize that 270 more mAh is about a 22% improvement on the hd7 battery? When you're saying a phone would last 4 hours turned on non-stop, then the improves battery would last close to five. In normal use I'd say it would provide an extra 2-3 hours, and a I'd say was substantial.

Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillin View Post
    Um, you realize that 270 more mAh is about a 22% improvement on the hd7 battery? When you're saying a phone would last 4 hours turned on non-stop, then the improves battery would last close to five. In normal use I'd say it would provide an extra 2-3 hours, and a I'd say was substantial.
    Well it would depend on the situation. I mean if your phone only lasts 8 hours, then another two to three hours isn't much help. There obviously is some other problem that is affecting battery life that needs to be fixed.

I know that I'm very conservative when it comes to UIs. So when I saw the Metro UI demonstrations and fell in love fairly quickly I knew it was a genius design. So far my favorite is the App List.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I agree that leaving space as empty space can help, especially when you want to emphasize on the pure information. It takes a seriously good designer to be able to use it to their advantage, and Metro has taken a good shot at it.

On a side note: I really hate the Vibrate symbol. It just looks out of place to me.
    Life couldn't get better, this could be the best day ever.
    HTC Titan

I'm impressed with the screen-on battery life of my Titan. I was streaming Pandora over the weekend (screen off) and I was even more amazed. I must have streamed for well over an hour (through the aux-out) and the battey was at 88%.

Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    Question for people with horrid battery life. Where are you in relation to cell towers?
    I've actually been shocked at how good my battery life is even with a single bar, on my Titan. But that's really just standby, which is checking two e-mail accounts and probably some sparse app stuff (no social networking setup).

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    The battery life on my trophy is bad. But what makes it horrible is there's no reason for it. Display is usually one of the biggest battery killers on smartphones but on wp7, there's virtually no display. There's no bloatware. There's no giant clock or weather apps constantly pulling data. There's no large amount of memory. There's maybe one or two apps running in the background, and you couldn't have too many even if you wanted because the phone doesn't allow you to (which is good, but apparently doesn't help anything). There's a no frills camera and there are very little advanced settings or features.. If there was more going on under the hood, and the battery was bad, it would still suck but at least I would know why.

Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    The battery life on my trophy is bad. But what makes it horrible is there's no reason for it. Display is usually one of the biggest battery killers on smartphones but on wp7, there's virtually no display. There's no bloatware. There's no giant clock or weather apps constantly pulling data. There's no large amount of memory. There's maybe one or two apps running in the background, and you couldn't have too many even if you wanted because the phone doesn't allow you to (which is good, but apparently doesn't help anything). There's a no frills camera and there are very little advanced settings or features.. If there was more going on under the hood, and the battery was bad, it would still suck but at least I would know why.
    there is a reason for it. Can you give us more information on your setup? Like sync setups, brightness, usage, all those things. I have a good friend with a trophy and his wife has one. He can listen to music for 8 hours. Maybe we can track down what might be causing it.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    In menu/settings- under background tasks, I have HTC hub running. In e-mail, I have 3 accounts with 2 set to hourly and one manually. On the screen I have no tiles that flip except for metro radio which just started flipping with its last update. Screen brightness is set to auto- there is no option for 28 to 30%, which is what I prefer. The low setting is way too dim and med. is brighter than what I normally would use. I have about 40 apps, 2 of which use push notifications (FB and WbP), and are on my screen at the very bottom. As for media, I have about 12 albums in Zune and about 10 games from marketplace. No music,video or picture downloads. Usage- I average 2 to 300 texts a month, and phone calls are minimal. I use Office to write quick ideas or text message drafts and occasionally check FB from the me tile.
    I think this is close to the bare minimum..as Ive deleted, uninstalled, and unpinned in the past couple months with hopes to see significant change in battery life.

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Just wanted to mention that I think its funny how WP8 fixed a lot of the issues I was complaining about in this thread.

Global Posts
    3,458 Global Posts
    I think the UI is great. But I would like the smaller tiles to be live. Not just a number count. But to flip like it would if it was a normal sized tile.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    I think the UI is great. But I would like the smaller tiles to be live. Not just a number count. But to flip like it would if it was a normal sized tile.
    You mean certain types like photo tiles? I can't imagine it'd be easy to read text.

Global Posts
    3,458 Global Posts
    Yeah, my contacts, and other apps. Not text info. They need to flip or do something. Not just sit there like an icon.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567