Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By agreen123

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I had the original focus with mango, now its taking me forever to get everything on my new focus. I don't see any shortcut here. needed to setup facebook acount, twitter, exchange, Google accounts, reinstall apps 1 x 1. rearrange my tiles the way I had them. practically as if I never had a wp7 phone before. this has taken me hours already. unlike a BB that you can just use the device switch wizard. am I doing anything wrong? the only thing that windows live did was bring in some twitter posts. I can't find any info on how to switch devices.

Global Posts
    2,349 Global Posts
    No way to easily switch devices, sadly. A huge omission by Microsoft.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    yeah , really bad omission. very annoying.

Unfortunately I'm not sure Microsoft has an iCloud type solution that stores your entire profile. Do they remember your apps?

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    Apps are remembered online now, but it won't keep your saved games ect (yet). They are working on adding a lot to the cloud, just no word on when yet.

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/account

Anyways Apple wins by having a unified noun - iCloud. Microsoft needs that in the form of "Live" account or something that unifies Hotmail, SkyDrive, ZunePass, everything. Fragmentation is killing them in the consumer mind-space.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    How's the new device?

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    This must be painful. I remember being able to link up to Nokia phones via Bluetooth and pull everything across, back in the Symbian days.

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    They had the myphone online for Windows Mobile. They are most likely going to be setting that up as well once they get everything ready. Probably takes quite a bit of backend stuff to get all these things that have been separate for so long rolled into one without hindering anybody's prior usage.

I'm just saying that Live services better meet and exceed the iCloud if Microsoft wants WP7 to take off.

Killer hardware + WP7 OS + Live Services = win.

Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    MS really need to get a full backup/restore solution (first/third party apps and app content) in place. Smartphones being smartphones, they crash sometimes, need a clean restart sometimes, and they hold a lot of information that is a real pain if you have to copy it all over to a new/replacement phone.

I'd say given how much Mango improved/fixed the general WP7 experience, this is now probably one of the biggest weaknesses of the platform and I'm really surprised nothing has been said about it being addressed yet.

Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Double post. Sorry!
    Last edited by Pronk; 11-07-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Remember that Apple does not have to deal with each OEMs little differences, a blessing and a curse for WP. So think of moving from a non-Mango HTC device to the Focus S. Lots to check and change.

Hard resets/new setups are a pain, but I like the feeling of having a fresh, clean device without any unneeded clutter.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Remember that Apple does not have to deal with each OEMs little differences, a blessing and a curse for WP. So think of moving from a non-Mango HTC device to the Focus S. Lots to check and change.

Hard resets/new setups are a pain, but I like the feeling of having a fresh, clean device without any unneeded clutter.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Definitely Apple has it easy because they only need to test the OS on their own hardware. Regarding WP7, the apps are supposed to work on all WP devices so one would think that Microsoft could develop or integrate backup/restore of apps in the future.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtboos View Post
    They had the myphone online for Windows Mobile. They are most likely going to be setting that up as well once they get everything ready. Probably takes quite a bit of backend stuff to get all these things that have been separate for so long rolled into one without hindering anybody's prior usage.
    Yeah, and MyPhone closed last month. IIRC they were supposed to be migrating MyPhone content to users' Skydrive accounts, but I haven't seen any of my old texts and whatnot appear on my Skydrive. But in any case, I expect texts to be synched online.
    Yes, I'm on Twitter.

Hey guys; just to put in my two cents; remember that up until now, most people were still only able to use first-gen phones - there WAS no "new phone" to upgrade to (except, of course, in the case of replacements). I suspect Microsoft was probably using their dev resources to work on/improve other areas, and there wasn't too much point in putting a lot of energy into upgrade/backup paths. If we continue to to drop the hints and let MS people know, they're likely to realize that they now need to work on this area :)
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agreen123 View Post
    Hey guys; just to put in my two cents; remember that up until now, most people were still only able to use first-gen phones - there WAS no "new phone" to upgrade to (except, of course, in the case of replacements). I suspect Microsoft was probably using their dev resources to work on/improve other areas, and there wasn't too much point in putting a lot of energy into upgrade/backup paths. If we continue to to drop the hints and let MS people know, they're likely to realize that they now need to work on this area :)
    Good point.