Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. DrHuss's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #1  
    I wanted to know if anyone else is having a similar issue. ever since Ive updated to Mango, my cellphone battery lasts no longer than one day even with low to moderate use. by the end of the day the battery is almost dead. when i charge it overnight until the next morning, the battery indicator shows an 80% charge - i even bought a different battery and tried it - same results.
    any ideas? anyone having the same issue
    i have an HTC HD7 w/ T-mobile.
  2. lumic
    lumic's Avatar
    Guest
    #2  
    Mine seemed to have drained a lot for a period of time. I immediately forced the Mango RTM after I unboxed the device, so I wouldn't know what it was like before.

    I got good life when I first opened it, then it went seriously downhill, and it seems fine now. When it screwed up, I turned off push email (had five accounts or so...) and such. Something I also did was uninstall "Toggle" as it was listed as a background task that couldn't be uninstalled. I have sinced reinstalled it, so I don't quite know what the issue was in the first place.

    Regardless, I have had some battery drain issues but I'm not sure exactly how it was resolved. You can experiment with brightness, push and maybe look at the apps you have that utilise background agents.

    Oh, one problem I had - some days I left the phone's screen inwards when I put it into my pants pocket. The phone was turning on (the Omnia 7 power button is on the side and pretty easy to touch) and my leg was contacting the screen and keeping it on.
  3. DrHuss's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #3  
    Thanks. i haven't installed any new apps and i have the same number of email accts as i did before updating to Mango. there is no telling if this is an issue because of the update or not or whether something happened to the device itself. the weird thing is 2 batteries, one supposedly new (bough it from ebay, came without packaging so who knows), will not fully charge even if left 10 hrs in charger. that's what puzzles me more.
  4. Boodev's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #4  
    The battery not charging fully sounds more like a defective battery rather than an issue with Mango.

    As for higher battery drain in Mango, this is something almost everyone is feeling now. Mango has a lot more going on, such as social tile updates, checking for notifications, allows apps to run in the background, more tiles flip and are 'live'. All of these things and plenty more of the new features in mango are bound to effect battery life.

    I advise you to turn the brightness down if you can, turn off push email and disable background tasks if battery life is important to you.
    BooDev - Windows Phone Exclusive Developer
    http://www.boodev.net/
    @boodevsupport

    See our apps at: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/publishers/Boodev
  5. DrHuss's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Boodev View Post
    The battery not charging fully sounds more like a defective battery rather than an issue with Mango.

    As for higher battery drain in Mango, this is something almost everyone is feeling now. Mango has a lot more going on, such as social tile updates, checking for notifications, allows apps to run in the background, more tiles flip and are 'live'. All of these things and plenty more of the new features in mango are bound to effect battery life.

    I advise you to turn the brightness down if you can, turn off push email and disable background tasks if battery life is important to you.
    thanks. What is your take on the fact that 2 batteries won't fully charge. Anything I can try to rule out a defective battery?
  6. wolf1891's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    #6  
    Well, personally my battery life is pretty close to what it was pre-Mango (might be a little shorter but, not by enough to make any difference at my use level). It sounds like a bad battery in this case but, two bad batteries seems pretty unlikely. Could that specific phone be defective perhaps? (try those "bad" batteries in another phone and see how they do)

    What I am seeing that has me curious is that the re-charging time when plugged into my computer seems to have gotten ridiculously slow. Pre-Mango I could re-charge while syncing and have a fully charged phone ready to go in under an hour. Now it seems to take hours to get even partially charged (at which point I generally give up and move the phone over to the regular charger plug in a wall socket). Anyone else seeing this?
  7. DrHuss's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    Well, personally my battery life is pretty close to what it was pre-Mango (might be a little shorter but, not by enough to make any difference at my use level). It sounds like a bad battery in this case but, two bad batteries seems pretty unlikely. Could that specific phone be defective perhaps? (try those "bad" batteries in another phone and see how they do)

    What I am seeing that has me curious is that the re-charging time when plugged into my computer seems to have gotten ridiculously slow. Pre-Mango I could re-charge while syncing and have a fully charged phone ready to go in under an hour. Now it seems to take hours to get even partially charged (at which point I generally give up and move the phone over to the regular charger plug in a wall socket). Anyone else seeing this?
    Thanks Wolf. i found another post on this site with ppl having a similar battery indicator issue. seems like if you restart the phone the battery indicator will show a higher level if you just recharged the battery. which is weird. some ppl suggest draining the battery completely a few times for the meter to re-calibrated. i will give it a try and see. as for PC charging i wouldn't be able to tell as i don't usually do it :) sorry.
  8. jdd77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #8  
    I was just about to start a thread with a similar question when I saw yours..lol. I was gonna ask if anyone has found any good "battery saver" solutions. My trophy is near-dead at the end of the day with very minimal use, and with a full charge the night before. And if I do some light web browsing or play a quick game- forget it. The battery is at half life within an hour. I just don't understand this because there is NOTHING syncing in the background..No Facebook or Twitter, no weather apps, nothing's updating. I've turned location and cellular data off but with similar results. I don't think it's a bad battery, I just think the battery life sucks in these phones. Compared to other smartphones that have way more features, I'm just at a loss as to why this may be..
  9. foosball's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    423 Posts
    #9  
    So far the solution which has worked more often than not is a full hard reset. Other than a few things like text messages most data can be recovered. Plus during a reset you get to calibrate data usage again for all your apps and data polling services. Its a minor annoyance but it worked to rectify the issues on my HTC Arrive.

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    dumb phone > Palm Pre > Palm Pre+ > HTC Arrive> HTC EVO LTE > No more Windows Phones until WP gets Swype.
  10. pseudoware's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    436 Posts
    Global Posts
    896 Global Posts
    #10  
    I did a reset after updating to Mango. Battery life still sucks compared to pre-Mango.

    Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
  11. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,514 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    I was just about to start a thread with a similar question when I saw yours..lol. I was gonna ask if anyone has found any good "battery saver" solutions. My trophy is near-dead at the end of the day with very minimal use, and with a full charge the night before. And if I do some light web browsing or play a quick game- forget it. The battery is at half life within an hour. I just don't understand this because there is NOTHING syncing in the background..No Facebook or Twitter, no weather apps, nothing's updating. I've turned location and cellular data off but with similar results. I don't think it's a bad battery, I just think the battery life sucks in these phones. Compared to other smartphones that have way more features, I'm just at a loss as to why this may be..
    After updating my trophy to mango my battery ended up going bad and I had to replace it. Even after that all I could get out of it was 6-7 hours. Verizon sent me a replacement and I got 14 hours out of it with the same battery that was in my old trophy. I didn't do a lot of browsing but I did read most of an ebook yesterday. My old trophy wouldn't have made it half that long.
  12. DrHuss's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPDiddy View Post
    So far the solution which has worked more often than not is a full hard reset. Other than a few things like text messages most data can be recovered. Plus during a reset you get to calibrate data usage again for all your apps and data polling services. Its a minor annoyance but it worked to rectify the issues on my HTC Arrive.

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    Excuse my ignorance but how do you do a hard reset on HD7? id like to try it
  13. foosball's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    423 Posts
    #13  
    Settings>About>Phone Reset

    Again, I'd emphasize doing this AND carefully monitoring what data polling services you enable. I pretty much shut everything down that wanted data for non-app related services and even for apps try to keep those that run in the background to a minimum.

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    dumb phone > Palm Pre > Palm Pre+ > HTC Arrive> HTC EVO LTE > No more Windows Phones until WP gets Swype.
  14. N8ter's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #14  
    Log out of WLM and Facebook chat.

    It seems to drain battery like IM clients that continuously poll the server.

    Edit: Don't bother resetting your phone. It won't change anything. I'm almost sure it the IM client that's leading to the battery drain. Take a few hours back by turning it off. Location services as well. It drains quite a bit of power.


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  15. jdd77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
    Take a few hours back by turning it off. Location services as well. It drains quite a bit of power.


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I've looked everywhere in marketplace to find a "location service" toggle switch but for some reason there just isn't one. Don't know why..it would be very convenient to save battery life.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions