Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Hey all, just wondered if anyone had been having issues with the Marketplace Notifications as of late?

Despite being pretty sure there are some updates out there, I'm receiving rare if ever a notification? A couple of instances I've visited the app on the marketplace. Yesterdays occasion Birdsong, seeing the 1.6 noted release on the details pane, but only the option of "share" - despite being on 1.5. Going back one step and forward to the app seemed to fix this and allow an update - but no notification?

Just wondered about the polling of notifications on the marketplace too, are they instant? Do they take a few days to come through a specific time etc, or is this an MS mystery?

Just don't want to have to seek manually for updates, or miss anything important.

Omnia 7
    Orange UK
    Mango 7.10.7720.68
    Firmware Revision 0222.11.8.5

Cheers

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    I haven't found rhyme or reason why some people get the notifications before I see it, but it usually shows within 24 hrs of me seeing someone else getting it. As you noticed you can always go in and force an update if you know an update is out there.
    GT: ChaddMaia

Mine always seem to show up sometime in the middle of the night or mid afternoon. I'm not sure if there is a set timeframe on the live tile to notify when there is an update or not. I had an issue last week where the live tile would show 1 update but when I clicked on it, there would be nothing in the marketplace to update. This happened for 2 days straight until I powered cycled my phone. As soon as it powered back up, there was a notification on the marketplace tile that there was an update, I opened it and there it was. I think that the marketplace updates either get pushed out at a certain time or are somehow linked to Zune Desktop wether it be wirelessly or through usb.
    Developer

I'm convinced that there is a problem with updates to installed apps.

When I upgraded my phone to Mango a few weeks back, I expected a big rush of apps as all the Mango versions were identified. Nothing appeared for about 3 days, and then suddenly there were 12 updates waiting. These all installed without issue.

Since then, I've not been notified about a single update. Not one. I thought that perhaps this was just because no updates had been released, but this seemed less and less likely.

Now I see that Deneb Soft's SkyMap app (which I've bought, and have v1.5 installed) was updated to v2.0 last week. According to its page in the Marketplace, v2.1 is available now too. And I've still had no update notification at all. The only way I can see to get this new version is to uninstall and then reinstall, which will result in all my configuration settings being lost.

Definitely looks like a problem to me...
    Adam
    >> My new book, "Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Game Development" is available now, published by Apress.
    >> Find out more at http://www.adamdawes.com/books/w8wp8gamedev.html
    www.adamdawes.com
    @AdamDawes575
    Developer

Oh you're right, there is an Update button on the Marketplace page, so I can hunt updates down and install them one by one.... But still no notification. :-(
    Adam
    >> My new book, "Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Game Development" is available now, published by Apress.
    www.adamdawes.com
    @AdamDawes575

Global Posts
    2,190 Global Posts
    dont know I am getting update notifications on a regular basis they do seem to come in overnight I think I keep the volume on zero during the night while the device is charging and when I get up I check the phone for texts calls and email I am on ATT Could it be an issue with the VZN delivery system? I wouldn't think so but it might be possible.

lately, i'll see an update notification on my live tile, but when i click on it, it does not show me the updates in the marketplace. but today it showed 3 updates and when i clicked, it took me to the mrktplace and showed me new updates for 3 apps. strange.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Had 2 update notifications this morning, so all seems well here with Marketplace notifications for me. :)

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK

Global Posts
    2,190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    Had 2 update notifications this morning, so all seems well here with Marketplace notifications for me. :)
    I got one yesterday or today for Iam WP7 I have experienced no issues with updates for marketplace! (continue to knock on wood!)

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm getting about an update a day: a Sudoku one today. I can't compare because I'm the only WP7-enlightened one in my circles. Of course, the number of updates we get is a function of how many apps we have, and to a lesser extent, which apps; so, comparisons are messy. Still, it does seem that we should all get any specific app update on the same day.

Frankly, I keep my marketplace tile on a lower tier, don't update regularly, and check more on which apps want access to everything.
    Every choice involves compromising...
    Zune Pass Rocks and rolls and jazzes and...
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)...

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    With 180+ apps/games, and especially since Mango, I usually get at least 1 update every day. But typically 2-4. They show up around midnight and occasionally in the afternoon (possibly 12noon). Many months back I had a phantom update showing on the tile, but a soft reset fixed it. But nothing unusual for at least the past six months.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Developer

Suddenly today out of the blue, the Marketplace tile had updated to show that there are 18 updates available. They're downloading and installing now. Hopefully that means the problem is resolved, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

sHAYM4N, any progress on this issue for you?
    Adam
    www.adamdawes.com
    @AdamDawes575

hmmm... quite an assortment of scenarios going on here. I'm in the latter camp of "Phantom Notifications". Just about every day the Marketplace live tile indicates that there are several updates available, but when I open it up there's nothing to download. :(
    I'm going to try a reboot to see if that solves it.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcsmith13 View Post
    hmmm... quite an assortment of scenarios going on here. I'm in the latter camp of "Phantom Notifications". Just about every day the Marketplace live tile indicates that there are several updates available, but when I open it up there's nothing to download. :(
    I'm going to try a reboot to see if that solves it.
    Good News! a simple reboot and my mysterious notifications have gone away. So far so good - whenever I have a Marketplace update notification there actually is one! Also, after the reboot I had about 8 updates notified and ready.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have the same problem too and "what a coincidence" i have an omnia 7 too. also in xda forums they talked about it, it was something related to omnia 7. I used to get updates regularly without any problem. now there is no notification. i need to go and check the app
    Developer

Just thought I'd update this and say that this appears to be a constant problem on my phone now. It won't tell me about any updates for weeks and weeks (despite my having lots of apps installed and visiting the Marketplace regularly), and then suddenly 30 will appear at once. After that, nothing for several more weeks.

I know I'm not the only one suffering from this, is there anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?
    Adam
    www.adamdawes.com
    @AdamDawes575
    korg250 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,136 Global Posts
    Funny you should mention this. I have a ton of apps on my phone and surely one or two of them have an update, right? But I've received no notifications in a very long time.
    Lumia 620

This has happened to me in the past. But for some reason, after some random amount of time, the error stops. If I were you, I'd turn your phone on and off once and remove the pinned Marketplace tile for a couple of days. Then pin it back and see what happens after a few days.
    Days of Fear | Nights of Anger | Daze of Hate | Knights of Suffering

Xboxworld | Twitter | Last.fm
    Thanked by:

I am experiencing the same issue: I have to hunt down individually my app updates, since the marketplace is no longer notifying me.

Anyone found a solution?
    Developer

No solution here. It still does it to me pretty much constantly. I'll get no updates for months, then suddenly there will be 80 of them all at once. I'll sometimes continue to get update notifications for a couple of days, but then nothing again. It's very frustrating.
    Adam
    www.adamdawes.com
    @AdamDawes575

I noticed this issue early on when i bought my phone: I used to read about apps being updated here in the site, and not get notified. Since I was new to WP i thought that update notifications like in iOS where non existent on WP, so I used to search for every app manually. Then, one day, to my surprise, the marketplace had a big 6 on it, went in and saw an update button! After that, I thought that I'd get notifications on a regular basis, but nope! I now get updates like every 2 weeks!

I don't really mind, since really important updates are announced on the site here or on wmpoweruser so I can do them manually (for example skype, whatsapp, nokia drive) and the rest of the apps get updates like bug fixes and stuff that I don't really desperately need ASAP.

However I think that MS should do something about this issue, it's not normal behavior! Any ideas how we can tell them about this?

Make sure your cellular data is on, I went to costa rica last year for a month, and had my phone on airplane mode the whole time, even tho I would connect to wifi I would never get updates, but once I got back to the states I had like 90 updates show as soon as I took it out of airplane mode. I thought that was weird, but it hasn't happened since then so Im guessing it had to do with not being on a network
    Thanked by:
    korg250 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDawes View Post
    No solution here. It still does it to me pretty much constantly. I'll get no updates for months, then suddenly there will be 80 of them all at once. I'll sometimes continue to get update notifications for a couple of days, but then nothing again. It's very frustrating.
    As some already said, the solution is indeed in the cellular data connection, that must be ON.

I cannot understand why can't I be notified when only on WiFi, since I can update through WiFi.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by korg250 View Post
    As some already said, the solution is indeed in the cellular data connection, that must be ON.

I cannot understand why can't I be notified when only on WiFi, since I can update through WiFi.
    Hmm. Interesting. I was going to refute this and state that my cellular connection is on all day, every day, but then I realised that I always (without fail) switch it off in the evening, and don't turn it on again until the morning. Perhaps the phone checks at some particular time of day (or whenever it next gets network access after that), and because my cellular access is off at that time, it fails to update.

I'll try leaving the cellular connection on overnight and see whether that makes any difference.
    Adam
    www.adamdawes.com
    @AdamDawes575

WiFi turns off when the screen is off so maybe your phone is totally without a network connection overnight? Do you leave it plugged in to charge?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast