Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'd like to have Mango, yes. But I'm just as happy to read what others are experiencing now and learn how to fix stuff if it happens! I waited for NoDo, and I still like it. I can wait for Mango. I would say I'm a conformist, but I think that might not be the case on this forum.

So, anyone else decide to wait for the notification rather than use the Zune trick?

Kalle

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm with you. I've always waited for Zune to prompt me that any update that is available. When I got that upon connecting Tuesday night, I didn't realize it was Mango until I read the text in the installation window. Prior to that connection, I had not logged on here or heard otherwise of the press release from earlier that day. I think I've been especially patient because I have a "non-certified" 32GB card install and haven't wanted to risk that with any tricks or forced anythings.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I waited for too long, since I bough my phone on the promise of this very update. I needed to had it on the first day. And the Zune trick seems legit enough, I didn't did anything bad =).

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I would've waited, but, luckily, I didn't have to. :happy: I said something like this when people were being wankers on the 15th: if I didn't think NoDo was good enough, I wouldn't have gotten a WP. I'm not going to buy a car without an engine that'll come in a few month if I need to drive somewhere tomorrow. Same logic. That said, hope it gets to you guys soon! ;)
    kallemia likes this.

Nope, I forced it on three phones. Worked fine, I yanked on my dongle, a quick one - two is all it took.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Forget that. The Zune trick works just fine and gives you the official, carrier-customized version of Mango that you would've gotten anyway. There's no reason not to do it.
    cckgz4 likes this.

I'm with Sharksandwich, why bother waiting if you want it now, the zune trick is very easy and gives you mango now.

why would you wait? whether you wait or trick the Zune to grab the update it's the same update executable.

Thought about waiting but just could'nt do it. Like others have said, doing the zune trick still gives you the offical carrier update so i saw no reason to wait another 2 to 3 weeks to get mango. Also you still have your backup that zune makes if something were to go wrong.

I agree. Using the Zune trick doesn't put Mango on your phone in some different or illegitimate way. It is identical to getting the notification and installing it. There is no reason to wait for the notification.

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    I am still awaiting Mango.
    kallemia likes this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Well, as I mentioned, my primary reason for waiting was just to gather information about what to expect and what might not work, etc. I am definitely going to install Mango when I get the notification. But, I'll have that extra information and knowledge, is all. I just wanted to see if I was the only waiter ;^) in the Mango Restaurant...
    joemd60 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I understand your point, You are waiting for the official release. In case us daring first updater had some big problems. Is a risk I decided to take an thankfully everything is working honky dory.

I'll say, go to your computer and try the Zune trick now. You just can't believe how excited I was when the phone uploaded and I had the square logo. ( I jumped and clapped like a drag queen)
    joemd60 likes this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    This is going to sound like crazy talk in a forum devoted to this phone and os... but I'll just say, that for me, ever since I dumped the iPhone and its app-centric raison d'être and joined the ranks of the satisfied WP7 owners/operators, I've come to feel that my smartphone is really just my phone. I mean, it conveys information to me easily, and I don't have to delve into it or launch tons of apps to get at what I need. In a weird way, MS have made me care a lot less about my phone. And I like that. So, I'll just wait, and be happy for y'all. I can tell you're happy because you're clapping and jumping and all... oh and to paraphrase Mae West, "Is that a Titan in your pocket, or are you just happy to see Mango?" ;^)

Kalle

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    With my luck, the Zune trick will give me an HTC paperweight. :D

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    lol well I hope you guys get Mango soon legally.

Trust me

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kallemia View Post
    This is going to sound like crazy talk in a forum devoted to this phone and os... but I'll just say, that for me, ever since I dumped the iPhone and its app-centric raison d'être and joined the ranks of the satisfied WP7 owners/operators, I've come to feel that my smartphone is really just my phone. I mean, it conveys information to me easily, and I don't have to delve into it or launch tons of apps to get at what I need. In a weird way, MS have made me care a lot less about my phone. And I like that. So, I'll just wait, and be happy for y'all. I can tell you're happy because you're clapping and jumping and all... oh and to paraphrase Mae West, "Is that a Titan in your pocket, or are you just happy to see Mango?" ;^)

Kalle
    That's why I strayed from the flock of iSheep. All those Poyntless apps, and the feeling of having more of a toy than a phone. :)
    kallemia likes this.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    For all the people who say the trick works, there seem to be quite a few who say it doesn't work. Besides, they still get to do something I wanted to do earlier today: Find in page. :P

Global Posts
    2,186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    With my luck, the Zune trick will give me an HTC paperweight. :D
    very doubtful that that would happen.

Global Posts
    2,186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starblade876 View Post
    For all the people who say the trick works, there seem to be quite a few who say it doesn't work. Besides, they still get to do something I wanted to do earlier today: Find in page. :P
    Depending on your phone with only a few exceptions the problems with the trick method are not causing bricking its just that they havent gotten the timing down right on severing the internet connection at the right time they're either a tad too quick or tad too late theres no harm to the phone you just have to try again. In my case I was on wireless internet at the office on my laptop and the timing on unplugging the dsl line or turning off the wireless did not work out went home and using the disconnect the ethernet cable it worked on the second try

just sitting and waiting patiently over here...

okay, maybe "patiently" is a bit of a stretch but... I am waiting.

Thanked by:

I was gonna wait, but just couldn't. I did it yesterday and it only took me 2 tries.

One word to describe the update: (In my Dickie V voice) AWESOME BABY, WITH A CAPITOL "A"!!!!! lol
    HeyCori likes this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    For me this has sort of become like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer had a pact to see who could go the longest without, ahem, self-pleasuring. I mean, there's nothing WRONG with forcing the update... It won't make you go blind or grow hair on your palms, and it apparently provides a lot of pleasure ;^). Still, for now, I am master of my domain...

Kalle

PS - also pretty glad to know I'm not alone in waiting for the official notification. WP 7 has made me reevaluate my bias against Microsoft. I think they really got it right. Perfect balance of function, beauty and ease of use. If Apple had invented Metro, every blogger and journalist and tech writer out there would be gushing over it. Oh well, I just want this OS to survive!

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Waiting, not sure why but I'm waiting.

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    And talk about a let down. Yesterday I unpack my laptop, load Zune, and plug the phone in. There were 10 updates, excellent, Mango on the way!
    This could take awhile I will do a few things around the house while I wait. I go and check on the phone, update complete and no Mango. I had to settle for a bowl of grapes instead with my lunch.:D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast