Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    i can't believe that you can't do custom notification and alarm tones, even with mango. i don't mean to come on here and complain, but i'm curious to see how many others are as bothered by this as i am. to be sure, i'm not all that mad that i can't do a custom tone. having to use a built in tone instead of my zelda "found secret" sound that i used on android isn't the end of the world (although the zelda sound was awesome). i just can't believe that microsoft missed the boat by not fixing this. to me, it's kind of weird that they didn't have custom ringtones, notification, and alarm sounds on the original OS release, but the fact that they did add custom ringtones, but didn't fix notifications and alarms, is shocking. it makes me wonder about the thoroughness of their feedback and testing process. it's like they're not even paying attention to what they're doing. i don't know how they plan on gaining market share if they can't even figure out some of the simple stuff.

ok, i'm off my soapbox now. but does this bother anyone else, or is it just me?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    As long as it makes a noise i'm not bothered what the noise is, but that's just me. :)

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    As long as it makes a noise i'm not bothered what the noise is, but that's just me. :)
    Yea, while this is true I still agree with the OP. It would have taken maybe 2 days extra work to implement custom alerts?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    Yea, while this is true I still agree with the OP. It would have taken maybe 2 days extra work to implement custom alerts?
    Yes very true. Perhaps it will arrive in a future update.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Sorry for bumping this, but I dont know if its its been found yet. But there are custom alarms. As long as you make it as a ring tone, you can use it for an alarm.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiLoBrown View Post
    Sorry for bumping this, but I dont know if its its been found yet. But there are custom alarms. As long as you make it as a ring tone, you can use it for an alarm.
    Yep alarms are fine, just no text alerts etc, 2 isn't too bad TiLoBrown LOL :)

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Yea...I'm fine with it, which is odd since I get way more txts than calls

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. I absolutely love the WP7 UI, but the little things like this make me miss my Android phone.

It's minor, of course, but I like customizing my text alerts more than my ringtones. I'm dying to use a recording I found of Mass Effect 2's Kelly Chambers saying "Commander, you've received a new message at your private terminal", but I'm not willing to jailbreak the phone over a stupid alert sound.

Currently trying to find a way into the alert sounds folder via PC, but so far all I've made my way into is the media storage folders from Zune. I'm not informed enough on the way phone OSes work to get any further.

Lame.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by staindgrey View Post
    Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. I absolutely love the WP7 UI, but the little things like this make me miss my Android phone.

It's minor, of course, but I like customizing my text alerts more than my ringtones. I'm dying to use a recording I found of Mass Effect 2's Kelly Chambers saying "Commander, you've received a new message at your private terminal", but I'm not willing to jailbreak the phone over a stupid alert sound.

Currently trying to find a way into the alert sounds folder via PC, but so far all I've made my way into is the media storage folders from Zune. I'm not informed enough on the way phone OSes work to get any further.

Lame.

I used to enjoy having my personalised text alerts too staindgrey, the feature will probably arrive eventually. In the meanwhile enjoy your tinkering and welcome along to WPC.

Always nice to see new WP7 users. :)

Gracias, WeeBear. I've had my Focus for a few months now. Like I said, love it, but it's the little things that bug me. Like this. Hope the next update isn't far off.

Basically, I traded doing tons of stuff for easier functionality and simply WORKING. Which is ironic, since I choose Windows over OS X in order to trade streamlined functionality for being able to do more, how I want to do it. I make no sense lol.
    Last edited by staindgrey; 10-05-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Yes i know ecactly what you meant staindgrey. I agree WP7 does have it's little missing niggles like the one you mentioned, plenty more too, but on the whole the OS just works, nice and simple, and we can't complain about that. :)

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Not sure if it has changed, but pre-Mango the alerts were fixed at Alert1 thru 10, and imbedded as such in the registry, so not that easy to modify. Tried replacing one (overwriting a file)without any luck, but I believe Schapman did figure it out with Touch Xperience.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Careful jimski, it'll all end in tears. :(

To me not having customizable alert tones for everything is a deal-breaker.

Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    I agree with OP. This has been defacto on BB for years. YEARS! How could someone MISS this??? I NEED to have my phone notify me different ways based on the criteria *I* define. I may need a certain notification of all emails received on a certain mailbox. I may also need a certain notification of just texts or emails from certain individuals.

I've heard of an app called TouchDevelop that can script certain things. I was thinking about using this to script what I need as far as settings rules such as what I need.

I was not happy and of course it was the first thing I went for. The confusion. The disappointment....i love my phone having never owned a touch device before but when 1st Gen phone had extreme ease to making your own custom ringtones just from your own bank of music or anything....txt tone wars was once my favorite game who had the funniest. Or the most recent...and im sad without it...i feel bland and im disappointed because the windows phone is more complicated and too much time was spent on something's and the little customizable features are being takin away. I get a few colors with a black or white background, the live tiles are fine but it would be nice to put a scene behind them. I love the phone and im grateful for it...but the little things matter in life...I want a personal phone...that only looks and sounds like my phone. And earlier Gen phone had no problem with it....so I feel in a sense Microsoft did this on purpose because of the copyright censor crap that's hopping off this year. I hope they do change it in the update and I am positive many others are feeling the same way.:excl:

Oh and btw all the alerts sound the same.....fail. Badly auidable bells....yea even at 30 volume that's not catching my attention. The vibrate is a must. Ok im done complaining. And aside from this I do love the phone. Its grand and new. The kinks are just personal ones.

Only got my Optimus 7 yesterday, and found this annoying, I know its only a little thing, but meh, annoying still.
    Ive managed to change my ringtone to my original Android one, but as a poster said above, all the original alert tones sound very bland and similar.
    I want my Mario alert tone back for sms....:@
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts

These little annoyances are annoying for sure firthy (I know what I just said is plain stupid) :lol:

Hopefully in future updates we'll be allowed to change our alert tones too.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome you along to WPCentral firthy. :)

Hope you're enjoying Windows Phone though, even without your 'It's A Me, Mario!' chappie sms alert tone. :)

Thanked by:
    firthy 

First timer here. I got an alert to down load and play but when trying to set up as an alert all I have is "none" followed by alert 1-10 in ringtones and sounds when trying to change my "new text or IM" Is there a way to access ringtones when trying to change an alert? I have a HTC Trophy and I am running 7.5 with Mango
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts

Hi brucew17, welcome to WPCentral. :)

All customised ring tones have to be done through the Zune software unless you use an app like the Ringtone Factory.

Currently you can only have customised ringtones and alarms, you can't customize alert tones.

Here's the Zune help page for creating customised ringtones.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...ringtones.aspx

I'm considering purchasing a Windows phone. I have to be on call for work and need to respond to priority trouble tickets during the night. These come thru as SMS text messages. When I get one I need the alert to be loud enough and long enough to wake me up. Are any of the text alerts in Mango sufficient to wake you up? I suppose I could configure my email at work to forward an email to the phone email account. Are the email alert tones loud and long? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave,

That's been my only issue with it for the same reasons. On my last Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, I was able to use the alarm tone for my text alerts when I was on call which worked great. I hope Tango will fix this issue.

Scott

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    My phone stays on vibrate 99% of the time. So if I had a WP, this wouldn't matter to me. I hate ring tones and notification tones. If you don't constantly change them they get old and annoying, so vibrate works just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by staindgrey View Post

Lame.
    I used to have that tone, and it got old fast. Especially when someone spam texts you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast