Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #1  
    Must say I love wp7. I do however have a huge gripe. How in the **** is there not task specific volume settings? 1 volume setting for everything is super weak. How does something this simple continue to be overlooked?

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I've never actually had an issue with volume. You mean something like playing a game while listening to music?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,344 Global Posts
    I think he means having a separate volume setting for notifications, media and alarms. I think it would be nice to have that option too.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express
    Apoc, Judge_Daniel and joemd60 like this.

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    yeah i agree, i dont't want my music at volume 16 which is the same as my ringtone. It's annoying!
    kallemia and Judge_Daniel like this.
    Main gripe is the keyboard volume - jeez that thing is loud and annoying, but I like it there at around volume 5 just to know I'm pressing keys.
    trumpet116 likes this.

Question - does the volume setting persist like it does on iOS devices or does it reset to 50% like on Samsung players?

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iCaptnSpaulding View Post
    Main gripe is the keyboard volume - jeez that thing is loud and annoying, but I like it there at around volume 5 just to know I'm pressing keys.
    totally agree.. I wonder if there's some kinda keyboard hack out there...or if Microsoft will fix this in a future update.

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    No idea what iOS5 has but up till now iOS has no volume controls besides the main volume. When I play a video its independent of where the phone volume is. Do not even have a setting for keyboard volume. If the phone is not on vibrate the KB always clicks the same loudness no matter what the phone volume is set to.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    That sucks..Im glad I don't have an iPhone.
    trumpet116 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    I think he means having a separate volume setting for notifications, media and alarms. I think it would be nice to have that option too.

agreed. I would really like to see this too.

Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post

I agree, that would be a very nice addition to add to the mix. Has anyone put this on the wish list to MS about new features?

Global Posts
    529 Global Posts
    I've seen on some pages that MS sees the single volume control as a "feature, not a defect." They see it as a way they've simplified things but I think they've OVER simplified this one.
    muffasa likes this.

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    totally agree.. I wonder if there's some kinda keyboard hack out there...or if Microsoft will fix this in a future update.
    Excuse the impertinence if it is, but isn't volume control super accessible on all WP7 devices? If so, couldn't you guys simply lower the volume to any 1/30th degree when you are typing? (Admittedly, from a guy that has keyboard sound turned off completely because any level annoys me, loved ones, admired ones, tolerated ones, etc.) ;)
    joemd60 likes this.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    Excuse the impertinence if it is, but isn't volume control super accessible on all WP7 devices? If so, couldn't you guys simply lower the volume to any 1/30th degree when you are typing? (Admittedly, from a guy that has keyboard sound turned off completely because any level annoys me, loved ones, admired ones, tolerated ones, etc.) ;)
    It would be kinda ridiculous to turn the volume up and down everytime you wanna type something. I like the sound of the phone dialer and when you copy/paste something, but I hate the loud popping of the keyboard. It would be nice to be able to separately adjust the volume of it. Or at least have a haptic feedback option.
    trumpet116 and muffasa like this.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iCaptnSpaulding View Post
    I agree. Didn't think I would like the sound vs. haptic feedback, but I have gotten used to it. While custom volume for multiple features would be nice (and complicated for some users) kb volume as a % of total volume would be a great feature. I usually keep volume at about 15, so yeah, 5 or 30% would be excellent.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts
    It would be kinda ridiculous to turn the volume up and down everytime you wanna type something. I like the sound of the phone dialer and when you copy/paste something, but I hate the loud popping of the keyboard. It would be nice to be able to separately adjust the volume of it. Or at least have a haptic feedback option.
    Haha yea I ended up turning off the key press sounds because of this. I like the noise, but at 15 it annoys everyone around me. And if I'd turn the volume to type I'd forget to turn it back up at times.
    [VZW] HTC Trophy owner
    [Follow me: Xbox Live | Twitter]

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I don't understand what's so wrong with having alot of customization. From different things I read it sounds like people are paranoid that wp7 is gonna turn into android if you have more than two options in menu settings.. Or if your allowed to put a clock on the home screen. ..Or if there's a separate volume control for the keyboard. It would still be wp7, with the metro UI and the way the phone operates, only it would appeal to more people.
    Last edited by jdd77; 10-21-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    trumpet116 and Speebs like this.

Looks like iPhone users have similar problems: iPhone volume settings insanity - MacRumors Forums

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Yes having the ability to set (and forget) your alarm to very loud; but keep the phone volume at say medium; games at another setting; and music at another; alerts at soft; and key press to minimum or off would be ideal.
    I do miss the "mute all" switch which was common on all Palm smartphones.
    A Palm Pre Refugee giving my HTC Arrive a pat on the back- cuz it's choking!
    ("Forgewizard" in PreCentral)

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    I don't understand what's so wrong with having alot of customization. From different things I read it sounds like people are paranoid that wp7 is gonna turn into android if you have more than two options in menu settings.. Or if your allowed to put a clock on the home screen. ..Or if there's a separate volume control for the keyboard. It would still be wp7, with the metro UI and the way the phone operates, only it would appeal to more people.
    I think it's a perception thing. Sure, MS could include dozens of user defined settings without much trouble, and most users would never touch them or even know they are there. But reviewers and critics would point them out, showing long lists of settings and "claim" that Windows Phone is complicated, which it isn't.

That's where legal jailbreaking could help though. Allow experienced users the opportunity to change some things that won't screw up the phone, like a custom color or volume setting, but give experienced users some satisfaction. And give us something to blog about.

Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    I think it's a perception thing. Sure, MS could include dozens of user defined settings without much trouble, and most users would never touch them or even know they are there. But reviewers and critics would point them out, showing long lists of settings and "claim" that Windows Phone is complicated, which it isn't.

That's where legal jailbreaking could help though. Allow experienced users the opportunity to change some things that won't screw up the phone, like a custom color or volume setting, but give experienced users some satisfaction. And give us something to blog about.

I'm mainly talking about basic things that by far wouldn't be the least bit complicated for even a first time smartphone user. Settings and customization options that are found on nearly every cell phone, brand, os, etc. that I've ever used or seen over the last decade are missing from this platform, and it bugs me because it's an intuitive os. Having "1" way to do things is not really a good way to attract people to use wp7.

Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Must say I love wp7. I do however have a huge gripe. How in the **** is there not task specific volume settings? 1 volume setting for everything is super weak. How does something this simple continue to be overlooked?
    Exactly what I was thinking..

I feel like Microsoft thinks and treats as as dumb.. by making everything soo simple and not giving us enough tweaks and settings.. (Taste like Apples doesn't it, why i don't like apple).
    Sometimes it's really frustrating

Coming from WM6 with more tweaks and ways to set your OS to your liking,
    is really frustrating where everything in WP7 is out of our control...

Granted Mango improve a little such as Setting custom ingtone and Hidden IP setting...
    but hey.. Setting for Static IP is tooo complicated for users I guess... or MS thinks we're too dumb to understand how to set our own IP.... (I still can't believe we can't set our own IP).
    For us corporate users, I wouldn't even go to setting VPN here... or outlook syncing.

Here's what MS think of us:

Let the users set Volume themselves?? noooo thats too complicated for WP users.. don't give em to users that abilty... they'll just confuse themselves with different volume setting..

Let them know which apps is eating Bandwidth?.... nooooo..
    Let them set which apps allowed to access the net at any one time?... Whoa.. nooo way... too complicated...
    Let them Set their own notification custom sound?... nooooo.. why would they want to?
    Let them have more vibrate setting.... noooooo..
    Let them set static IP?... what.. **** no
    Let them have forward buttons in IE?... .. noo.. users are so dumb, they dont' need it...
    Let them easily clicking tabs in IE.... NOOO... WP users don't use tab.. (This is actually an Official statement from Microsoft designer)..

Don't get me wrong.. I like WP.. I'm using and choose WP7.
    But hey.. I don't like being treated as dumb... I want to be able to control my device the way I want to.

We want control Microsoft.. Let us have more Advanced settings.... !!!!!
    Last edited by rabit1; 10-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    jdd77 likes this.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    So what's gonna happen with all these complaints, as valid and necessary as they may be? Do we have to wait for another update or will all the revisions come on wp8 devices?

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    This is something that we have to consider: We here on the forums are not the average Windows Phone user. Microsoft is trying to carve out a market that is more like iOS than Android: Simple.
    Now, simple doesn't mean stupid. I have been a Windows Phone user since the early days, and am thoroughly impressed and satisfied with it. Don't get me wrong, there are things that I would love to see added or modified, but overall I am satisfied. More important to Microsoft, my wife and daughter like Windows Phone. They do not frequent these forums, but they are a bigger slice of the smartphone market.

Now to the topic at hand: I am really disappointed that Windows Phone doesn't have the option for different volume settings. I came from WM6 and 6.5 and just LOVED the customization that was available to me. When I first used my Quantum I griped about the volume, but very quickly I found that it really wasn't that bad. It is not that hard to just adjust the volume. For the last decade I have worn a two-way radio while at work. As I walk in and out of high noise areas I automatically adjust the volume on my radio. It is just a habit. Now, I hope that Windows Phone has customizable volumes in less than a decade, but you see my point.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

Like I said in the other thread. We need 2 ver. WP & WP PRO

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast