Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Just had another salesperson at Verizon try to talk my wife out of a WP7 HTC Trophy for an Android phone. Got the same dance I got when I bought mine a couple of months back...'have you used this phone before?', 'It's not very popular', 'Windows Phone isn't mature yet', 'Android is well supported', 'Not sure you'll like it. Others who have tried it don't' Followed by the usual, 'we don't have any in stock'

While some of the comments are not untrue, they don't speak to the quality of WP7, just the current market penetration and pre-Mango version. And yet, it's still an awesome OS with far more potential for real user satisfaction than both Android and iOS.

I know Microsoft is aware of this game the carriers are playing, but can't they step up their education efforts to get these phones the rightful place they deserve in the sales lineup?

Maybe after Mango and Nokia?

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    I probably would have asked to speak to the rep's manager. That's unprofessional and just plain wrong on his part. I read somewhere recently Microsoft is apparently beginning to deploy sales training people to the various carriers/stores. IMO, that can't happen too soon as we hear WAY too many of these stories.
    Tjarren likes this.

Have her return it and get the phone she needs to have. Not mature yet? If a 30-40 percent return rate on android phones doesn't point to immaturity I don't know what does.
    Apoc and psychotron like this.

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    When I think about it, if any carrier is going to have a heavy Android bias it's got to be Verizon. I mean they might as well have signs outside all of their stores that read "The House That Droid Built". They're undoubtedly the most top heavy Android device service provider in the country, and since most of their flagship devices are Motorola and Google is now their daddy I wouldn't be at all surprised if that bias continues to get much, much worse.

Global Posts
    2,349 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JBozz View Post
    When I think about it, if any carrier is going to have a heavy Android bias it's got to be Verizon. I mean they might as well have signs outside all of their stores that read "The House That Droid Built". They're undoubtedly the most top heavy Android device service provider in the country, and since most of their flagship devices are Motorola and Google is now their daddy I wouldn't be at all surprised if that bias continues to get much, much worse.
    It will, much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JBozz View Post
    Yah, and AT&T is the house that iPhone built, Sprint is the house that Evo built and T-Mo has 12 different android models. None of these carriers go out of their way to promote wp.
    FWIW, the sales person at the Verizon store I bought my Trophy at, knew all about the phone and told my I would really like it. This was a Verizon corporate store, the smaller independent stores I tried first didn't have it in stock, and didn't like it.
    Every carrier has their pet phones, MS will just have to work harder to put wp in that category.
    I saw an article today quoting a top VZW executive as saying that he thought that wp would become the number 3 operating system, so maybe they're not that hostile to wp.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,756 Global Posts
    That just the direction Verizon has chosen to go. I watched the X Factor tonight and couldn't tell you how many Simon Cowell Droid Bionic commercials I saw tonight, but there were a lot.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Welcome To Windows Phone Tattletale - Windows Phone Tattletale
    -Anyone with this type of experience at any store, should report their findings to this site.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzabar View Post
    Just had another salesperson at Verizon try to talk my wife out of a WP7 HTC Trophy for an Android phone. Got the same dance I got when I bought mine a couple of months back...'have you used this phone before?', 'It's not very popular', 'Windows Phone isn't mature yet', 'Android is well supported', 'Not sure you'll like it. Others who have tried it don't' Followed by the usual, 'we don't have any in stock'

While some of the comments are not untrue, they don't speak to the quality of WP7, just the current market penetration and pre-Mango version. And yet, it's still an awesome OS with far more potential for real user satisfaction than both Android and iOS.

I know Microsoft is aware of this game the carriers are playing, but can't they step up their education efforts to get these phones the rightful place they deserve in the sales lineup?

Well VZW like Android cause they load all their stupid bloatware on the phone. But i must admit the HTC trophy is a very average device, camera sucks and it's out dated!

Global Posts
    2,730 Global Posts
    Wave them away if they aren't saying anything useful. Yes it does make the product look bad but it's not just VZW employees that practice this. Whenever I go into a cellular store, I tell them right away I don't need anything if I'm just browsing. Don't need you to tell me what I already know
    Nokia Lumia 1020 owner here...

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    i think WP7 is unofficially dead on VZW

That's pretty messed up - I mean the Trophy is nothing to write home about, but the fact that they attacked the OS and then don't have a single in stock is all pretty pathetic.

Followed by the usual, 'we don't have any in stock'
    Hah! you should have asked him if it's so horrible, why is it always sold out.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    It is to expect though, Android is doing very well for them and the Trophy is as average as Windows Phones get.

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    On a broader level, the relationship between Microsoft and Verizon is not great after the Kin debacle.

Microsoft wanted it as a feature phone with no data plan necessary, Verizon stuck a full $30 plan on it. Lots of infighting and a huge failure of the product

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I have a cousin that works for V. He told me that some guys will talk people towards a popular phone so they don't return it. If someone returns a phone they lose their commission.

Global Posts
    2,188 Global Posts
    The chairman of verizon said he thinks that the third ecosystem in smartphones will either be Bada os or RIm will make a comeback so the anti WP bias is no great shock!

Quote Originally Posted by jfa1 View Post
    The chairman of verizon said he thinks that the third ecosystem in smartphones will either be Bada os or RIm will make a comeback so the anti WP bias is no great shock!
    The article posted on Phone Arena, quotes Lowell McAdam, VZW CEO as saying that He believes Windows Phone will win the battle with RIM for the 3rd ecosystem.

Global Posts
    2,349 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    The article posted on Phone Arena, quotes Lowell McAdam, VZW CEO as saying that He believes Windows Phone will win the battle with RIM for the 3rd ecosystem.
    He says that, but the actions of his employees say different. If he means it he should send the word down the pipe and make sure that at least sales reps know what the heck they are talking about, rather than spreading misinformation. Also get a couple of new Mango handsets in. Talk is cheap.

I'm not defending the conduct of store employees. Report them to their managers and the carrier. When I went looking for a Windows phone, I went to 2 ATT stores, because they had the best selection. They didn't rip wp, it was a 'they're alright I guess' Kind of indifference. Ditto at the one Sprint store I went to. No US carriers seem that enthused about wp. If Microsoft want this to succeed, they need to promote them as actively as Google did for Android. If they want them on American carriers, they will probably need to let them have their way once in a while, because they got the power in the US cellular biz, not consumers. Sad but true.
    xpxp2002 likes this.

@ranzabar - So, did your wife purchase an Android, or did she walk out and order the Trophy online?

If consumers don't stick to their guns about the devices and products that they want, there is no incentive for biased Verizon employee to change their viewpoint about WP - in other words, a biased VZW employee could simply say to themselves "if they say no to Android on the first try, just tell 'em that there is no WP in stock - they'll buy the Android device anyway, and I'll get my commission".
    Tjarren likes this.

Global Posts
    2,188 Global Posts
    Well the President of VZN was quoted today as saying that he thinks that the third ecosystem war will be between RIm and WP and he thinks that microsodt will win out. OKay Dude show us VZN's commitment to making MS the winner!!!!

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Was in a Verizon Store today in SW WA swapping out a work phone and was browsing around and the Rep that was working w/me asked why I was so interested in the Trophy, which by the way had Mango running on it!!! Told him I was a webOS refugee and showed him my beat up Pre+ and said that the Trophy and WP7 was probably the closest and easiest OS out there now besides webOS. Couldn't believe it but he agreed w/me! He said he liked the Trophy and WP7 and where it was headed. Even knew the features of the phone and Mango. Told me he has been trying to steer folks towards WP7 but did't know what new WP7 phones VZW was going to get. It appears that the Trophies now coming out of the Verizon Stores all have Mango on them or will be shortly... my 2 cents.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, this kind of trouble MS has to face is not exclusive to the US.

A lot of carriers show some despise towards WP, including in Europe. I know my way around tech stuff, and when I go buy something, I usually don't ask for advice (although, personal opinion is appreciated). When I decided to get a WP7 phone, I went to a independent retailer, that sells phones from all three major carriers in Portugal, as well as unbranded devices, but before that I went to several stores from all carriers (TMN, Optimus and Vodafone) and after saying that they hadn't any stock of WP7 devices (they must have got like 3 of them), all three tried to sell me an Android. I hate to be pushed towards I product I don't want. After checking all stores in the whole city, I went to that independent retailer (Media Markt, pretty well known in Europe) and they only had one unit on display of the model I wanted (Optimus 7) but, and this is where I'm getting at, once the girl noticed my interest in WP7, all she did was get me through the options I had within WP7 in case I didn't want that display unit, no personal opinions or biased recommendations. Of course I asked what she though about it, and all she said is that, being an unsupported OS from both carriers and MS itself in the country, it could be a somewhat risky purchase (no news about Mango yet back then, and she had a point).

This is what I always did when it comes to carriers and mobile services: always avoid their stores (although I understand that contracts and stuff may not make this easy, but most people here don't get contracts).

Bottom line is that Microsoft has to work their way around this problem (advertising, advertising, advertising, cool advertising), and, hopefully, Mango is going to help a lot, mostly because it adds support for a lot of new countries and languages, giving WP7 a lot more visibility.

Oh, bu the way, Portuguse carriers ignore WP7 so much that they don't even include them in their catalogs. You have to go there and ask for them.
    Last edited by lycosman; 09-24-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Yeah. Pretty much it's going to have to be Nokia + Mango to break through.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast