I love Windows Phone and the new Mango update nut can you really call its new multitasking feature "multitasking"? It is more of a quick app switch function.

For example I was in the middle of a game of Angry Birds and then I hit home. I then pulled up the "multitasking" cards and switched back to Angry Birds, but it was like I had just reopened the app.

What do you all think?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts
    That's because most, if not all apps haven't been compiled with the new 7.1 dev kit which is necessary in order for the multitasking to work.

Yes, right now you only get real multitasking in Microsoft products; not until apps are update will they get multitasking.

And they will not get updated until they can be put on the Marketplace. So no real multitasking until it is officially released.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Actually, the multitasking comes in the form of background services, I think. The fast app switching is only the thing that seems to be getting the most attention because it's what most people think of.

As I understand it, if an app is allowed to run bg services, it'll update while it's "dehydrated" in the app switching view. For example, if a Twitter app has bg services and you have it in the switcher, it'll update itself and it'll show the new content when you switch back to it.

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starblade876 View Post
    Actually, the multitasking comes in the form of background services, I think. The fast app switching is only the thing that seems to be getting the most attention because it's what most people think of.

As I understand it, if an app is allowed to run bg services, it'll update while it's "dehydrated" in the app switching view. For example, if a Twitter app has bg services and you have it in the switcher, it'll update itself and it'll show the new content when you switch back to it.
    This is exactly how it works, its a bit more complex when you get WiFi and battery involved of course but all anyone really needs to know is that it FEELS like "true" multitasking. With that being said, I'm pretty sure he understands that, but where he ended up confused is why Angry Birds restarted rather than jumping straight in from the "dehydration" mode. In which case I already explained why in my above post.

Once they implement background services, especially allowing access to WiFi or 3G, I'm afraid battery life will suffer. Would Mango allow me to disable multi-tasking? I would prefer battery life over multi-tasking.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification all.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Once they implement background services, especially allowing access to WiFi or 3G, I'm afraid battery life will suffer. Would Mango allow me to disable multi-tasking? I would prefer battery life over multi-tasking.
    Pretty sure you will have control over which third party apps run in the background. Settings/Applications/Background Tasks.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Thanked by: