Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75
Like Tree1Likes
  1. JRDroid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have had a number of smartphones (HTC Shadow, palm 755p, Curve 8300, My Touch 3G, Motorola Droid, My Touch 4g, and currently an HD7). As you can see, before coming to WP7 I was on an Android streak and before that I was not very OS loyal. Windows Phone 7 and Android are two very, very different approaches to the smartphone OS idea. Both are decent OS's, I would say that overall, WP7 is superior to Android as a smartphone OS, but can definitely see some people prefering Android. WP7 is super smooth and super reliable, two things I cannot honestly say about Android. Even though many WP7 users are complaining about the updates, the update situation on WP7 is vastly superior to Android. Some high end Android phones (Fascinate, Epic 4g for example) are still in the process of recieving or waiting to start reciving an update announced last May that came out before the phones them self did. 10 whole months after its annocement they still don't have. Only two phones (the nexus S and nexus 1) have the most recent update that came out in December. No other phones even have public time tables of if/when they will get it. Android has far, far more numerous apps than Windows Phone, BUT the apps on Windows Phone are of much, much, much, MUCH higher quality than the apps on Android. I cannot think of a single app on Android that I actually used that either isn't on WP7 or doesn't have an acceptable substitute on WP7. Windows phone is much easier to use, live tiles are sooooo much easier to read than most widgets. I don't miss the "customization" of Android at all. When I go back to using my wife's My Touch 4g it feels needlessly complex. My phone can do anything her phone can do, in most cases mine does it better, and in nearly every case, its easier to do on the HD7.

    So I thought something like this may help other people who are considering making the switch that I made 6 weeks ago. I love Windows Phone 7 and will probably not return to Android. Web OS maybe, or a very distant possibility of iOS, but never again Android.
  2. #2  
    Never webPOS we gotta help MS defeat them again just like in the classic windows mobile and palmPOS days
  3. gibbyhome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    534 Posts
    #3  
    well Said Mr. Droid
    I think more people need to hear about the update issues with android..
    Well Done..

    Quote Originally Posted by JRDroid View Post
    I have had a number of smartphones (HTC Shadow, palm 755p, Curve 8300, My Touch 3G, Motorola Droid, My Touch 4g, and currently an HD7). As you can see, before coming to WP7 I was on an Android streak and before that I was not very OS loyal. Windows Phone 7 and Android are two very, very different approaches to the smartphone OS idea. Both are decent OS's, I would say that overall, WP7 is superior to Android as a smartphone OS, but can definitely see some people prefering Android. WP7 is super smooth and super reliable, two things I cannot honestly say about Android. Even though many WP7 users are complaining about the updates, the update situation on WP7 is vastly superior to Android. Some high end Android phones (Fascinate, Epic 4g for example) are still in the process of recieving or waiting to start reciving an update announced last May that came out before the phones them self did. 10 whole months after its annocement they still don't have. Only two phones (the nexus S and nexus 1) have the most recent update that came out in December. No other phones even have public time tables of if/when they will get it. Android has far, far more numerous apps than Windows Phone, BUT the apps on Windows Phone are of much, much, much, MUCH higher quality than the apps on Android. I cannot think of a single app on Android that I actually used that either isn't on WP7 or doesn't have an acceptable substitute on WP7. Windows phone is much easier to use, live tiles are sooooo much easier to read than most widgets. I don't miss the "customization" of Android at all. When I go back to using my wife's My Touch 4g it feels needlessly complex. My phone can do anything her phone can do, in most cases mine does it better, and in nearly every case, its easier to do on the HD7.

    So I thought something like this may help other people who are considering making the switch that I made 6 weeks ago. I love Windows Phone 7 and will probably not return to Android. Web OS maybe, or a very distant possibility of iOS, but never again Android.
  4. VernonEL's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    #4  
    I feel the same way about the updates. I would love to have all of the newest features on my WP7, but the OS is still great without them. I know that I'll get the updates relatively soon after they are released for the GSM phones, and I believe that once MS gets this update figured out, the others will go more smoothly. I'm just glad not to have to wonder if I'll ever get it like Android.

    As far as what's coming with NoDo, I'm not in a huge rush. So far, I have not had the Marketplace crash on me. I do see the advantage to better search options in the Marketplace, but I really don't mind scrolling down a little to pick through to find what I'm looking for. Copy and Paste would be nice, but so far I actually have not had the opportunity to need and miss it.

    As far as multi-tasking with Mango, I can see how the OS works so that one doesn't need it as much as other OSes, but MS still made a good choice putting that in their first real update. It really should be available, even if not really needed as much.

    Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express
  5. #5  
    As another stated, I could not put that better myself (I also came from Android to WP7). Great insight to your experiences.

    Richard Edmonds
    UK Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: rich@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @RichEdmonds
    Socl: RichEdmonds
  6. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #6  
    @JRDroid: Thanks for a fair, objective overview. Never having used Android and reading lots of fanboy accolades, its hard to understand what would pull someone to, or away from, Android.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  7. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    #7  
    I disagree with the updates. With Android, you know what you are getting when you buy the phone because it was a more complete OS. With Windows Phone 7, they said that missing feature would be added since it wasn't there at launch. I bought my Focus fully knowing that MS said directly that certain feature will be added soon, "early march/later in the year" So you can't compare Android updates to WP7 updates.

    But I do agree that WP7 OS is superior to Android OS.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  8. charliepage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #8  
    As a former (though technically still have mine) android user and soon to be windows phone user, definitely agree about the awful way Android handles its updates.

    Although what drew me to Windows phone was a problem with my current android phone and really liking my zune figured I'd plunge into WP7, I never used my android much anyways.
  9. tre-nitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #9  
    Everyone of you are bold face lying. Android is leaps and bounds better than wp7. I come here to read the different opinions about wp7, just like I do with all the all the other os as well and without a doubt wp7 users are the most delusional users i've ever seen. I know you want wp7 to do well but to put it plainly, wp7 sucks. Please tell me what this os does that makes it superior to android? I'm dying to hear these answers. Also look how many posts are now saying, well android update process is worse. Still waiting on NoDo I see.
  10. charliepage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tre-nitty View Post
    Everyone of you are bold face lying. Android is leaps and bounds better than wp7. I come here to read the different opinions about wp7, just like I do with all the all the other os as well and without a doubt wp7 users are the most delusional users i've ever seen. I know you want wp7 to do well but to put it plainly, wp7 sucks. Please tell me what this os does that makes it superior to android? I'm dying to hear these answers. Also look how many posts are now saying, well android update process is worse. Still waiting on NoDo I see.
    I don't even have WP7 yet (tomorrow!) but as a Zune and Android user, the music/zune aspect of wp7 is definitely better than android. I would think XBL support along with games also rivals android, but I'll let others chime in. :P
    Thanked by:
  11. tre-nitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #11  
    Like I stated and to each his own, when people constantly say wp7 is better than ios and android I want to know what makes it better. As of right now it's not even close. I'll wait for the responses. Zune is good but it's still just a music player but thanks for your reply.
  12. JRDroid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #12  
    Things that make WP7 better than Android:

    1. Superior music player and services. This matters to lots of people and is a big weakness in Android. WP7 does it better
    2. App quality. The number of apps doesn't compare to android right now, but the quality of the apps is much better (you kind of have to experience this to understand what I'm saying)
    3. Much smoother. The OS doesn't lag. Ever. It doesn't crash. Ever. This is the reason I personally switched
    4. Update process. Poke fun about NoDo all you want but it is still 6 months away from being as bad as the update process for many Android phones (inculding some high end ones).
    5. Simplicity. I find Android overly complex, to the point that it sometimes impedes my doing what I want to do. WP7 hits the sweet spot between Android and iOS in my opinion. It is not as complex as Android, but has more complexity and personalization than iOS.
    6. Live tiles. They are like widgets, only better. They are in general much, much easier to read and get the info you want off of.
    7. You don't feel like your phone is out dated 2-3 months after you got it. I usually bought top of the line phones withing a week or two of them coming out, but I constantly felt like something better came out a few months later. This one is big to me because I like to have top of the line phones, and to keep up with android you would need 3-4 phones a year.

    I will give you that 5-7 are more opinion than fact, but the other 4 are facts. WP7 may not be better for 100% of people, but I strongly feel that the "average consumer" would be better off with WP7. Android is good for some people (people into total customization, hacking, etc.).
  13. JRDroid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tre-nitty View Post
    Everyone of you are bold face lying. Android is leaps and bounds better than wp7. I come here to read the different opinions about wp7, just like I do with all the all the other os as well and without a doubt wp7 users are the most delusional users i've ever seen. I know you want wp7 to do well but to put it plainly, wp7 sucks. Please tell me what this os does that makes it superior to android? I'm dying to hear these answers. Also look how many posts are now saying, well android update process is worse. Still waiting on NoDo I see.
    Also, how about telling us some of the ways that Android is leaps and bounds better than WP7 instead of just arbitrarilly claiming that it is.
  14. jtn05's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    90 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tre-nitty View Post
    Everyone of you are bold face lying. Android is leaps and bounds better than wp7. I come here to read the different opinions about wp7, just like I do with all the all the other os as well and without a doubt wp7 users are the most delusional users i've ever seen. I know you want wp7 to do well but to put it plainly, wp7 sucks. Please tell me what this os does that makes it superior to android? I'm dying to hear these answers. Also look how many posts are now saying, well android update process is worse. Still waiting on NoDo I see.
    While android does offer more functionality at the moment, Some people just think the overall user experience on WP7 is better...whats wrong with that? Why does somebody always have to be lying when they don't prefer android or agree with you?
  15. tre-nitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JRDroid View Post
    Also, how about telling us some of the ways that Android is leaps and bounds better than WP7 instead of just arbitrarilly claiming that it is.
    Ok sure. Ringtones, widgets(real), screensaver, 5-7 home screens, ability to root your phone to overclock the CPU for faster performance, apps, multitasking, copy/paste, Google integration, faster web browsing, I change my roms daily, can you, ridiculous mod developer support, is that enough. Listen if you like wp7 that's fine but to say its better than android or ios is just unreal.
  16. tre-nitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #16  
    I will say though, wp7 has by far the best keyboard. Props for that. I want that keyboard.
  17. Spoonieluv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #17  
    "Everyone of you are bold face lying..." There are a few things wrong with that statement... from your logic all the way to the grammar. I'll just focus on the 'logic' though.

    How in the world you accuse people of lying about which OS they prefer? If they had told you last week that they thought iOS or Android was better and now they tell you something different, then 'maybe' you could make the statement that they are lying. Otherwise its just a difference of opinion.

    Not trying to nit-pick here but that's a bold statement.
  18. VernonEL's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepage View Post
    I don't even have WP7 yet (tomorrow!) but as a Zune and Android user, the music/zune aspect of wp7 is definitely better than android. I would think XBL support along with games also rivals android, but I'll let others chime in. :P
    Welcome to WP7 world and WPCentral!
  19. Averry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    292 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tre-nitty View Post
    Ok sure. Ringtones, widgets(real), screensaver, 5-7 home screens, ability to root your phone to overclock the CPU for faster performance, apps, multitasking, copy/paste, Google integration, faster web browsing, I change my roms daily, can you, ridiculous mod developer support, is that enough. Listen if you like wp7 that's fine but to say its better than android or ios is just unreal.
    You want me to get deeply psychological on you.

    Because I can tell you sir...you change your ROMS daily....because you truly, deep inside, hate Android.

    You look at your home screen.....and it saddens you. In such ways you haven't felt since your family split up and your dog died. It saddens you so much, that the only way you know how to deal with it, is to put on another ROM in hopes that, THIS ROM, TODAY, THIS ROM THAT YOU INSTALL will satisfy the inner depths of your soul. And yet, every damn day, you still feel empty and grey inside. You hate Android because it's sloppy, and all of customization just distracts you until the next day when you can feel the darkness inside you no longer.
  20. Averry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    292 Posts
    #20  
    BTW, I have a rooted Incredible with vanilla Gingerbread. I screwed around with a few Roms, I didn't like Cyanogen because I thought it was too much.

    I'm just bored with it. I don't like how everything looks.
  21. Exomondo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tre-nitty View Post
    Ok sure. Ringtones, widgets(real), screensaver, 5-7 home screens, ability to root your phone to overclock the CPU for faster performance, apps, multitasking, copy/paste, Google integration, faster web browsing, I change my roms daily, can you, ridiculous mod developer support, is that enough. Listen if you like wp7 that's fine but to say its better than android or ios is just unreal.
    I think you're neglecting the fact that 'better' is subjective, no platform is everything to everyone so no platform is 'better' for everyone.

    For some iOS is 'better' because it has lockdown which results in smooth and timely updating and a general good user experience based on the 'appliance' model. Though for hacking it is far from ideal, it lacks device choice but provides a consistent UX. Personally i chose an iOS tablet for those reasons, i don't want to hack it.

    For some Android is 'better' because it allows customization and hacking of just about everything, not to mention true multitasking, widgets, etc... The downside is the platform is very fragmented and i have to look at (and understand) individual device specs to determine how well Android - and apps - are going to run on it, leading to an inconsistent UX across devices.

    For some WP7 is 'better' because it provides unique features like Office, Sharepoint, XBL, Zune, Live Tiles, etc... and provides a consistent UX across devices because of the licensing requirements. Though it does lack many features of other platforms.

    So you can see it depends on what features you value and when someone makes a broad statement like '$OS is better' this is a subjective view based on that user's needs and wants and won't necessarily correlate to your view of what is 'better'.
    BlackberryOS -> iOS -> Maemo -> WP7
    I don't have a device religion.
  22. Luisraul924's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    785 Posts
    Global Posts
    791 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Averry View Post
    You want me to get deeply psychological on you.

    Because I can tell you sir...you change your ROMS daily....because you truly, deep inside, hate Android.

    You look at your home screen.....and it saddens you. In such ways you haven't felt since your family split up and your dog died. It saddens you so much, that the only way you know how to deal with it, is to put on another ROM in hopes that, THIS ROM, TODAY, THIS ROM THAT YOU INSTALL will satisfy the inner depths of your soul. And yet, every damn day, you still feel empty and grey inside. You hate Android because it's sloppy, and all of customization just distracts you until the next day when you can feel the darkness inside you no longer.


    Yup yeah yeah mhmm... This is all too true, it took me an entire year to figure that out. I had a droid (original) and was always on the bleeding edge of ROMs, Kernels and themes, but yet through all of this, I hated, HATED, the fu•k outta the lag in scrolling and pinch zooming. Went from setting to setting, ROM to ROM but nothing solved it. What finally did me in was the fact that I love my music and it had the most horrendous music player and no specialized service for it (doubleTwist is a joke) even the new 3.0 player isn't as nice as Zune. Okay overkill on the music player lol but it is how I feel. The next thing is I fu•kin love me some Xbox360 'n' Live!! So it was too cool when I saw the Xbox live integration (this was what first turned my eyes to it actually). So i started to think about how cool it would be to have the whole Zune experience, I started watching videos and was impressed with the responsiveness. So I decided to just get it. I can't believe i was torn between this and a G2 lmao I would probably still be miserably flashing ROMs lol, I remember one big counter point to the HD7 was "damn but the G2 has 4G" where I really ROFLMFAO'd was when my friend got the G2 and we did speed comparisons in a 4G area and i beat him 1/3 times however the other two thirds his was only higher by less than 150 kbps lol. I now know I made a good choice :)
  23. #23  
    At least wp7 are made from a self created kernel and not from stolen code like Android. And wp7 is also more secure than Android meaning that I don't have to worry about having to install an antivirus on my phone. But seriously this site is going to end up like ZDNet if these fandroids and webPOS fanboys don't stop trolling.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tre-nitty View Post
    Ok sure. Ringtones, widgets(real), screensaver, 5-7 home screens, ability to root your phone to overclock the CPU for faster performance, apps, multitasking, copy/paste, Google integration, faster web browsing, I change my roms daily, can you, ridiculous mod developer support, is that enough. Listen if you like wp7 that's fine but to say its better than android or ios is just unreal.
    Ringtones - who gives a damn? It rings, you pick up, job done.
    Widgets - like the above, we have live tiles and don't require horrible widgets.
    Screensaver - it's a mobile phone, not a PC.
    Home screens - why do we need home screens? We don't have the copied grid design ;)
    Apps - have you heard of the Marketplace? Quality over quantity, sir.
    Multi-tasking - software or true? Software is coming in update and true will come with dual cores.
    Copy/Paste - same as above, it's coming and isn't even a necessity.
    Google Integration - we have apps for that, and an article covering how to. We also have true Live and Facebook integration.

    Just a few listed. Try again. Sure, WP7 is by no means competing with iOS or Android (debatable) but it's early days. If we're going to go by releases, we're winning.

    Richard Edmonds
    UK Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: rich@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @RichEdmonds
    Socl: RichEdmonds
    Thanked by:
  25. nrfitchett4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by tre-nitty View Post
    Ok sure. Ringtones, widgets(real), screensaver, 5-7 home screens, ability to root your phone to overclock the CPU for faster performance, apps, multitasking, copy/paste, Google integration, faster web browsing, I change my roms daily, can you, ridiculous mod developer support, is that enough. Listen if you like wp7 that's fine but to say its better than android or ios is just unreal.
    I'm not sure if you are listing positives or negatives for android...
    1. Ringtones- are you 12??? If not, you will probably be ok if you phone isn't blaring the latest lady gaga song every 5 minutes.
    2. Widgets- I can probably open and close my apps faster than you can get to and use your widgets
    3. Screensaver- its called a lockscreen, when its not on, I want the homescreen, not a battery killing animation.
    4. Why do you need that many homescreens? You can only use 1 at a time and more than 3 just slows you down.
    5. Ability to root your phone... You have to root your phone to make it work right. That's not a good thing. Overclocking cpu leads to bad battery life and dead phone.
    6. What apps are we missing? Besides TBT nav, I can't think of any.
    7. We have multitasking for core apps, more to come later this year (to all phones, not just a select few)
    8. C/P- we have that...
    9. Google integration- Is that a good thing? I don't want to be integrated with google, they harass me with ads.
    10. Don't want to flash my phone daily, little fad I had to do because winmo stock was bad.
    11. Great legit developer support. Quality of apps is night and day better on wp7. I don't have to find apps throughout the internet or worry an app I install is going to be malware.

    Did I miss anything???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B