- 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM #1
Most of you may know that the Windows 8.1 Preview just went live for download today. I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the preview. Is it what you expected? Or maybe it's not that big of an update to you?
I'm personally using the Pro Preview and I'm still looking at what's actually different in this version, but I'll update as I get snooping around.
For those of you that want to get it and learn more about it can go to the official Microsoft page here and/or visit the WP Central article regarding the list updates presented in 8.1 here.
06-26-2013, 12:35 PM #3
- 116 Posts
I really need to know something before I upgrade to preview.
I currently have Windows 8 Pro btw, and it's my main computer.
1. If I upgrade, will my programs (not apps) still be there? Like Steam (including games etc.), Photoshop and so on.
2. If I upgrade, will it be possible to upgrade to the final version of W8.1 when it comes (while not beeing charged, since I already bought 8.0 Pro)You can find my lock screen photos for Windows Phone here: http://sdrv.ms/V8CjCo :)
- 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM #5
2. Yes, you are able to upgrade from 8.1 preview to the final rtm 8.1, but you will lose all the programs you installed(desktop and modern ones). The upgrade is free, you can find that on the 8.1 preview page.
- 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM #10
On my surface, I went to Download Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows and was given the option to "get the update".. I downloaded and installed it, rebooted as instructed and once I got logged back in, received a popup message telling me to visit the store to get the 8.1 preview, which I did. It's now downloading.
I noticed that when I went to this page on a machine other than my surface, I got a "iso files not available yet" message.
- 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM #13
- 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM #15
An amazing update IMO. I have to poke around some more to get more of a grasp of what's changed.
It was a pleasant surprise to have all my apps still there after the update. I was expecting to reinstall everything.
- 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM #17
Just a heads up. Some people are trying to install the preview and getting an error message: "Windows Update Standalone Installer: This update is not suitable for your computer." If you're seeing this and can't understand why the preview won't install it's because your computer is set to language en-gb. To install, it must be set to en-us.
06-26-2013, 07:24 PM #22
- 166 Posts
Someone mentioned that if u update to the 8.1 Preview from pro, you won't lose your apps or software, but when u update to the official release you will.
My question is, if I update from 8.0 to Official 8.1 in a few months, will I still lose everything and have to reinstall apps and software?
- 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM #23
I've been using 8.1 on my main device for about 8 hours now. So far, love the new changes, particularly when opening a new app from another one (i.e. web link from email, playing music to my xbox snaps both the music and smartglass apps, etc.). Downsides: The instant messaging app is no longer provided with the Calendar, People, Mail app bundle. IE11 is also a little shaky. Having trouble with video playback on CNET and sometimes site options don't work. To be honest, at this point, I almost prefer IE10 to this, except for the multi window aspect and folders in favorites.
In all, stable from what I can see. Some apps are little shaky (IE11, Games, to name two). Kind of wish they left the Messages app...and by kind of, they should've left it alone.
- 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM #24
So far I have high hopes for 8.1 final. I would warn people who plan on putting this on their primary device: not everything works. Now, it could just be me. But, the official twitter app, as well as tweetro, are almost unusable. The timeline blanks out when scrolling, and jitters like crazy. MetroTube locks up every time I try to load it. Microsoft warned that not all 3rd party apps would work right off the bat, so I'm not surprised.
I love the extra tile sizes. The new search takes some getting used to, but I like it. Losing the messaging app sucks, but I guess we all new this was coming as we move towards Skype. I much prefer the old IE with the tabs up top and the favorites on the bottom.
Has anyone figured out how to integrate SkyDrive picks in the pictures app? All I get now is picks on the device.
- By bashbaliga in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 26Last Post: 07-11-2013, 07:59 PM
- By lance_mangold in forum Nokia Lumia 928Replies: 5Last Post: 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
- By Niall928 in forum Nokia Lumia 928Replies: 11Last Post: 06-27-2013, 03:26 PM
- By Tony_Offends_U in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 9Last Post: 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM
- By DBDev in forum Nokia Lumia 800Replies: 3Last Post: 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM