Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By rdubmu
  • 1 Post By bawboh86
  • 1 Post By bawboh86
  • 1 Post By AaHaa
  • 1 Post By fatclue_98
  • 1 Post By jhguth
  1. andrewkeith5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    278 Posts
       #1  
    Hi,

    So, after 4 and a half years I have finally got around to upgrading my laptop to the Lenovo Yoga 13, IMHO the best implementation of Windows 8 I've seen.

    I've had a brief look around the Store, and have already downloaded a few apps, but I'd love to hear your recommendations on the best apps/games you've seen so far?

    Also, is there a general consensus on the best Facebook app for the Metro/Modern UI interface as yet?

    Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!
  2. WavingReds's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    690 Posts
    #2  
    Do some yoga with your Yoga?

    But seriously though, I like TrackSeries, it's a nice Mordern app that tracks your TV shows you watch.
  3. #3  
    Download game dev tycoon. $7 but well worth it
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Foroplex
    Ekon likes this.
  4. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    #4  
    Robotek and Skulls of the Shogun are fun games I picked up.
    Ekon likes this.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    Robotek and Skulls of the Shogun are fun games I picked up.

    I can't get past the level at the gate. on Shogun.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
  6. andrewkeith5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    278 Posts
       #6  
    Thanks, they all sound like great suggestions! Particularly like the series tracker ... is Dev Tycoon a SIM City style game? I've been looking for such a thing for ages...
  7. enthuz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    #7  
    I have been debating the purchase of the Y13 with Win8Pro. Can you provide a detailed review of your experience with it soon? TIA
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
  8. andrewkeith5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    278 Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by enthuz View Post
    I have been debating the purchase of the Y13 with Win8Pro. Can you provide a detailed review of your experience with it soon? TIA
    I will certainly try and put something together for you, but my free time is limited during the week - I have a 2 hour commute to work each way!

    If Ive not posted anything or got in touch by the end of the week drop me a quick reminder in a PM :)
  9. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    #9  
    Here's my own personal review (whether or not you wanted it) that I posted to Amazon a while back (updated to be more relevant to today):

    This is a great laptop/tablet combo. Now, because of the size and weight of the laptop when it's in "tablet mode", you'll mostly be using it as a laptop, and sometimes finding it convenient to use it as a tablet (I do so for "Angry Birds", "Skulls of the Shogun" and other gaming sessions).

    The screen is nice and bright, and the viewing angles are superb (granted, I'm coming from a Zenbook Prime, where if you tilted your head too far, the colors went weird and you didn't have a good viewing experience). The touchscreen is usually very responsive, but I did find that sometimes it wouldn't pick up a swipe. I did learn that's because Windows defaults to turning off the driver after so much time of no-use and that you can turn it off from doing so (with a slight, and mean very slight, hit to battery).

    Coming from a Zenbook Prime, this keyboard is a definite step up. The keys have nice play, but aren't mushy. They also have a nice click and feedback to them, but aren't difficult to press down. They're spaced just right for my hands and fingers to do long sessions of typing without needing a lot of breaks. I only wish they'd put more work in the touchpad. Physically, the touchpad is GREAT. It's big enough to allow you to go from one side of the screen to the next without having to lift your fingers. It clicks well, and is, well, a touchpad. The problem is in the drivers. I find myself frequently needing to restart the touchpad drivers. It's not a problem, as the touchpad still works, but you lose some of the mutli-touch support and Windows 8 gestures. It's not a huge problem, but definitely an annoyance.

    The build quality, while pretty good, isn't "excellent". After a few months of owning and using it, it creaks sometimes when I pick it up at weird angles. Also, sometimes, there's a gap between the screen and the bottom when I put it in my man bag. It's nothing noticeable unless you're extremely OCD and looking for issues, but it is there. The laptop has held up to a beating in my bag, though, so it's still a very sturdy laptop and should be able to withstand almost anything you throw at it.

    I bought this laptop/tablet because I do development work and wanted something with a touchscreen that I could use to develop on the go. This definitely as the power already to run through all of my work, including debugging in Visual Studio 2012, web browsing, and having a few Word Docs open at the same time. I did update the RAM myself (a fairly quick and EXTREMELY simple thing to do with this laptop) and that may be worth the extra $40 to do so. I highly recommend it as everything seemed to pick up speed and responsiveness from there.

    The only serious problem I had with this was the wonky partitioning scheme that Lenovo used. You can go into the disk management and backup/remove any partitions they don't want, but I'm also not the average consumer. For example: I can't imagine my mother knowing that that's even an option. I also wouldn't want to try and walk her through doing it. I think this partitioning scheme was a mistake, but at this point, has no effect one me. UPDATE: Lenovo has released a patch that will clear out some of the space for you and redoes the partitions. The link escapes me at the moment.

    So, in conclusion, if you want a solid laptop that also makes a pretty good tablet, this is your machine. I really enjoy using it. Just know going in that you may have to frequently restart touch pad drivers (unless Lenovo has updated them) and/or you may have to work with the partitions.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  10. andrewkeith5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    278 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by WavingReds View Post
    Do some yoga with your Yoga?

    But seriously though, I like TrackSeries, it's a nice Mordern app that tracks your TV shows you watch.
    Hmm....I have downloaded TrackSeries, but I can't seem to get it to work - I've tried a few series I'm interested in but it doesn't seem to be finding anything?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    Here's my own personal review (whether or not you wanted it) that I posted to Amazon a while back (updated to be more relevant to today):

    This is a great laptop/tablet combo. Now, because of the size and weight of the laptop when it's in "tablet mode", you'll mostly be using it as a laptop, and sometimes finding it convenient to use it as a tablet (I do so for "Angry Birds", "Skulls of the Shogun" and other gaming sessions).

    The screen is nice and bright, and the viewing angles are superb (granted, I'm coming from a Zenbook Prime, where if you tilted your head too far, the colors went weird and you didn't have a good viewing experience). The touchscreen is usually very responsive, but I did find that sometimes it wouldn't pick up a swipe. I did learn that's because Windows defaults to turning off the driver after so much time of no-use and that you can turn it off from doing so (with a slight, and mean very slight, hit to battery).

    Coming from a Zenbook Prime, this keyboard is a definite step up. The keys have nice play, but aren't mushy. They also have a nice click and feedback to them, but aren't difficult to press down. They're spaced just right for my hands and fingers to do long sessions of typing without needing a lot of breaks. I only wish they'd put more work in the touchpad. Physically, the touchpad is GREAT. It's big enough to allow you to go from one side of the screen to the next without having to lift your fingers. It clicks well, and is, well, a touchpad. The problem is in the drivers. I find myself frequently needing to restart the touchpad drivers. It's not a problem, as the touchpad still works, but you lose some of the mutli-touch support and Windows 8 gestures. It's not a huge problem, but definitely an annoyance.

    The build quality, while pretty good, isn't "excellent". After a few months of owning and using it, it creaks sometimes when I pick it up at weird angles. Also, sometimes, there's a gap between the screen and the bottom when I put it in my man bag. It's nothing noticeable unless you're extremely OCD and looking for issues, but it is there. The laptop has held up to a beating in my bag, though, so it's still a very sturdy laptop and should be able to withstand almost anything you throw at it.

    I bought this laptop/tablet because I do development work and wanted something with a touchscreen that I could use to develop on the go. This definitely as the power already to run through all of my work, including debugging in Visual Studio 2012, web browsing, and having a few Word Docs open at the same time. I did update the RAM myself (a fairly quick and EXTREMELY simple thing to do with this laptop) and that may be worth the extra $40 to do so. I highly recommend it as everything seemed to pick up speed and responsiveness from there.

    The only serious problem I had with this was the wonky partitioning scheme that Lenovo used. You can go into the disk management and backup/remove any partitions they don't want, but I'm also not the average consumer. For example: I can't imagine my mother knowing that that's even an option. I also wouldn't want to try and walk her through doing it. I think this partitioning scheme was a mistake, but at this point, has no effect one me. UPDATE: Lenovo has released a patch that will clear out some of the space for you and redoes the partitions. The link escapes me at the moment.

    So, in conclusion, if you want a solid laptop that also makes a pretty good tablet, this is your machine. I really enjoy using it. Just know going in that you may have to frequently restart touch pad drivers (unless Lenovo has updated them) and/or you may have to work with the partitions.
    Thanks for your review. I'm considering getting this particular ultrabook.
  12. AaHaa's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    #12  
    I have been using it for a few months now, it's awesome. One little tip I can give you is to download (or purchase) Decor8. It's an desktop app that lets you customize your Windows 8 theme, so you're not limited to the few options Microsoft gave you. It looks very "native", like the app comes standard with Windows 8 (despite it being a desktop app) and it just gives you a lot more freedom to costumize your personal interface.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  13. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by AaHaa View Post
    I have been using it for a few months now, it's awesome. One little tip I can give you is to download (or purchase) Decor8. It's an desktop app that lets you customize your Windows 8 theme, so you're not limited to the few options Microsoft gave you. It looks very "native", like the app comes standard with Windows 8 (despite it being a desktop app) and it just gives you a lot more freedom to costumize your personal interface.
    Would you please provide a link? ��
  14. enthuz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    Would you please provide a link? ��
    Decor8 - Personalize the Windows® 8 Start screen with Decor8™!
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
  15. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,429 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    #15  
    Just got me a Lenovo Yoga 13....what to do now?

    Use It!!! Have fun, be merry! You only go around once!
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  16. tfracs33's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #16  
    Has anyone found a digital pen that works in the 13 inch yoga? I know I can write with my finger and its not made to work with a digital pen...looking for a work around. Thanks. BTW, the Yoga is awesome
  17. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #17  
    Any capacitive stylus will work, but don't expect the same performance you would get on an iPad or something, the drivers just aren't that good yet.
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86 likes this.
  18. coip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    663 Posts
    Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    #18  
    When did the Lenovo Yoga 13 first launch with the i5 and I7 Intels? I'm thinking of buying this but I'm trying to figure out the product cycle--i.e., if a brand new model is launching in a few weeks, I'll wait it out. Any ideas? The "Clementine Orange" model seems especially fun.
  19. ajst222's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkeith5 View Post
    Hi,

    So, after 4 and a half years I have finally got around to upgrading my laptop to the Lenovo Yoga 13, IMHO the best implementation of Windows 8 I've seen.

    I've had a brief look around the Store, and have already downloaded a few apps, but I'd love to hear your recommendations on the best apps/games you've seen so far?

    Also, is there a general consensus on the best Facebook app for the Metro/Modern UI interface as yet?

    Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!
    Congrats! I am seriously interested in the 11 inch Yoga. What kind of apps are you looking for? In all honesty, I haven't used a Facebook app. I have just used the browser for that
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM
  20. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    683 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by coip View Post
    When did the Lenovo Yoga 13 first launch with the i5 and I7 Intels? I'm thinking of buying this but I'm trying to figure out the product cycle--i.e., if a brand new model is launching in a few weeks, I'll wait it out. Any ideas? The "Clementine Orange" model seems especially fun.
    The Yoga 11S was only recently introduced and is still a Lenovo.com and Best Buy exclusive. Personally, I would not expect to see a new model too soon. Given the XPS 12 is still the only convertible machine available with a 4th generation processor, my bet is the other manufactures are still working on designs or are waiting on optimized hardware, and are closer to a holiday season release than Labor Day. The fact that Lenovo's initial 4th gen machines in their other lines barely match battery life for 3rd gen, and they released the Helix with 3rd gen technology, makes me think the new processor versions are still on the drawing board. With respect to the current generation Yoga's keep in mind that while they use I series processors, performance is a bit lower than Surface Pro or Dell's XPS 12. For some reason that only makes sense to Lenovo, they used single channel RAM in the systems instead of dual channel. In addition the 11S i5 version uses a hamstrung version of the processor with lower turbo boost speeds. That is a difference I found very noticeable under heavy load tests. In spite of using a much lower resolution screen, the 11S also barely matches Surface Pro and falls short of bother the 3rd and 4th generation processor XPS 12s for battery life. Finally, although Lenovo improved the storage usage a bit, they still take too much of a 128GB drive for their system partitions. It is still a good mid range performer but those are the key limitations in my experience. BTW, you can get good deals on the Lenovo 13 from their outlet but regardless of outlet of Lenovo.com main online store, they have a really lousy return policy (15% restocking fee unless they made a mistake in the order).
    Thanked by:
    coip 
  21. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    683 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajst222 View Post
    Congrats! I am seriously interested in the 11 inch Yoga. What kind of apps are you looking for? In all honesty, I haven't used a Facebook app. I have just used the browser for that
    Do you mean 11 or 11S? The 11 runs RT and the 11S runs Windows 8. I only point that out because it isn't always clear in some vendors' advertising. If you are looking at the 11, Surface RT is cheaper (even with purchase of a type cover). If you want the 11S they are nice machines but you might want to look at my hardware comments above. Lenovo has made some compromises in the design. They are still well made, mid-range, performers but do have limitations.
  22. ajst222's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    Do you mean 11 or 11S? The 11 runs RT and the 11S runs Windows 8. I only point that out because it isn't always clear in some vendors' advertising. If you are looking at the 11, Surface RT is cheaper (even with purchase of a type cover). If you want the 11S they are nice machines but you might want to look at my hardware comments above. Lenovo has made some compromises in the design. They are still well made, mid-range, performers but do have limitations.
    The 11S. I believe that Lenovo stopped producing the 11 (the RT device). I am just interested in a portable Windows 8 convertible. The 11S and Surface Pro seem to be the most appealing to me.
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM
  23. coip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    663 Posts
    Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    The Yoga 11S was only recently introduced and is still a Lenovo.com and Best Buy exclusive. Personally, I would not expect to see a new model too soon. Given the XPS 12 is still the only convertible machine available with a 4th generation processor, my bet is the other manufactures are still working on designs or are waiting on optimized hardware, and are closer to a holiday season release than Labor Day. The fact that Lenovo's initial 4th gen machines in their other lines barely match battery life for 3rd gen, and they released the Helix with 3rd gen technology, makes me think the new processor versions are still on the drawing board. With respect to the current generation Yoga's keep in mind that while they use I series processors, performance is a bit lower than Surface Pro or Dell's XPS 12. For some reason that only makes sense to Lenovo, they used single channel RAM in the systems instead of dual channel. In addition the 11S i5 version uses a hamstrung version of the processor with lower turbo boost speeds. That is a difference I found very noticeable under heavy load tests. In spite of using a much lower resolution screen, the 11S also barely matches Surface Pro and falls short of bother the 3rd and 4th generation processor XPS 12s for battery life. Finally, although Lenovo improved the storage usage a bit, they still take too much of a 128GB drive for their system partitions. It is still a good mid range performer but those are the key limitations in my experience. BTW, you can get good deals on the Lenovo 13 from their outlet but regardless of outlet of Lenovo.com main online store, they have a really lousy return policy (15% restocking fee unless they made a mistake in the order).
    They just announced a bunch of new ThinkPads with 4th gen Intels in them. Yoga can't be that far behind, can it? I understand that the 11S just launched in June, but the 13 was launched in November 2012. It's quite outdated now and I'd prefer getting a more powerful 13" one (as I already have a Surface RT so I'm good on that screen size). The only think holding me back right now are the age of the Yoga 13, the fact that it's a little heavy for an ultrabook, the 3rd-gen chips (not so much because of power but because of battery life--you say their initial 4th gen machines didn't do much better in battery life, though, so that worries me), and the RAM issue you talk about. That seems like a lot of concerns to ignore just to buy an overpriced ultrabook from last year. If I want to get the Clemetine Orange model (and I do), with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD, that's nearly $1300-1400 right now. Yikes.

    Edit: I'm so glad I didn't bite and buy the Yoga over the past weekend like I planned. Lenovo announced today the new Yoga 2 Pro, launching on October 18 in line with Windows 8.1 and it looks ridiculously awesome. I just hope the price is fair (the base model is already at $1099, which has me worried).
    Last edited by coip; 09-05-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 12:17 AM
  2. Just got an update... for Extras+info... what was it?
    By fradchad in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM
  3. Broken camera glass. What to do now?
    By et10yl in forum HTC TITAN
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 12:47 AM

Posting Permissions

B