- 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM #1
When I updating stuff, steaming a video, playing an online game, right in the middle the network becomes limited and it stops working. My home just has a network with passwords (we have multiple routers). This happens on my Surface RT and on my brand new Windows 8 Vizio CA27T-A5. This never happens on my windows phone and on my mac. I switched from a mac, and so far, I'm pretty annoyed. Please help ASAP!!
- 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM #6
FWIW....had a similar issue but in my case it was the router. I had recently installed Win8 pro and thought there was a problem. From what I've learned recently routers often start acting hunky rather than just stop working. Just a thought.
- 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM #7
02-15-2013, 09:38 AM #8
- 37 Posts
- 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM #9
It did this to me when I first upgraded my laptop, I think it had something to do with my wifi drivers, but cant remember for sure.
Check: Metered connection - I shut all this stuff off, I have a 60GB monthly cap and while I approach it, I have never gone over.
I found this on another forum, see if helps with your connection (I normally have my laptop plugged in, so I know my power settings are set for high performance).
1. Open Network Sharing Center
2. Click Change Adapter Settings
3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
4 Click Configure
5 Choose Advanced
6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
7 Click Ok.
- 02-15-2013, 11:37 AM #13
So that is what was happening to me where the connection was limited, inconsistant and slow. I know I changed all my power/network settings for the highest performance possible and disabled anything relating to limiting downloads. You shouldnt have the driver issues I had because your system is new and built for Windows 8, but maybe go to the device manager see if there is an update for the wifi/network drivers or is it using the default MS driver instead of the actual one for your network controller? I think thats what I had to do, change it from MS to Intel.
Im not at home, so I wont be able to check on my laptop.
- 02-15-2013, 12:07 PM #18
From this site:
Windows reports that my connection is "Limited." This means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router. If you're connected to a domain network or a public network, contact the technical support for that network.
- PCs running Windows RT or Windows 8 can't join a domain. You can only join a domain if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise.
--Laura Knotek (formerly known as lak611)
- 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM #19--Laura Knotek (formerly known as lak611)
- 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM #21--Laura Knotek (formerly known as lak611)
- 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM #25
Can you let us know what happened when you did what was suggested?
Also, IPv6 is disabled for me and my speeds are fine...That might be what I did when I was having problems...lak611 suggested that, refer to her response above.
Give feedback, I wont respond to this thread again unless you say what you did and what the result was.
- By Laura Knotek in forum The "Off Topic" LoungeReplies: 4Last Post: 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM
- By robl22 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 3Last Post: 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM
- By videoouija in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 55Last Post: 12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
- By v10type-r in forum Surface for Windows RTReplies: 14Last Post: 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM
- By BluLuke in forum Surface for Windows RTReplies: 3Last Post: 11-20-2012, 04:44 AM