Developer

My all-so-expensive and nicely working keyboard is lacking a Windows key. I've been wanting to upgrade to Windows 8 for a while but I can't help but wonder if I lose too much functionality by not having the Winkey. Is there a way to rebind the Winkey functionality to another combination (e.g Ctrl-Alt)?

Will I miss the Winkey too much or is the e.g Search charm reachable through another key combination?
    What keyboard do you have?
    Developer

New "MEKA" Keyboard Joins The Tt eSPORTS Mechanical Product Range

While it's not absolutely the best keyboard I did pay quite some money (poor student) for it so I'd be sad parting with it for the sole purpose of needing a Winkey :p

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    Well, I've been using Win8 for a few months now, and I don't think there are other key combos. You can, however, hover the mouse in specific spots on the screen to get to these functions (ie: hovering in the upper-/lower right of the screen brings up the Charms menu).

Sorry to derail but, I thought you might be female. I read winky...and Windows can always change keys, and yes you do need a winkey in W8. Make it F4 or something.
    Thanked by:
    Developer

I know about the "hover at certain spots" but the key combinations are so much more useful. Looks like I'll have to invest in a new keyboard eventually.

Deleted.
    Last edited by Bearach; 07-08-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Bearach View Post
    CTRL+ESC Is another shortcut you can learn. It will bring up the start screen.
    That one I know but being able to bring up the search charm for example is not possible (and even if it were, pressing Ctrl-Esc-S would just feel even more awkward)

if you are searching on start screen just start typing and it'll go into search charm
    Developer

After installing Windows 8 I must say, a Win key so far would be nice but it sure works without. Like ttxzee mentions as well, just by typing in the start screen will bring up the search. I also find myself more often moving my mouse to the left corner of the screen to swap back and forth instead of pressing Ctrl-Esc.

Look into a program called 'AutoHotKey'. I think you can use it to create map another key in your keyboard into the 'Win' Key. I hope this helps.