Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

I'd say the difference here is that Windows 8 is actually awesome. It's fast, more power efficient than Windows 7, and lets touch users as well as keyboard and mouse users get what they want. Vista was a power hugging bloated OS.
    This should lead to more success down the road. My dad has been a diehard XP power user since it released and recently moved to Windows 8. He swore at it for about 3 hours and now can't stop telling me how great it is. He went ahead and put it on two more computers that had been running Vista in our house right away. None are touch enabled.

Corporate customers on Windows 7 won't likely change, but it makes more sense to upgrade from XP or Vista to Windows 8 than it does Windows 7.
    Laura Knotek and mrskycar like this.

Global Posts
    8,017 Global Posts
    XP was out for 6 years before Vista came out, and XP wasn't always completely stable, and had slowdown issues over time. People were waiting around for the next version, near the end.

7 has only been out for 3 years, and is rock-solid.

Besides that, these days we tend to be at a point of diminishing returns for hardware power for most users. There's less incentive to upgrade from a first-generation Core i5 (which was released around the time 7 did), for example, than there was back when people were upgrading from a Pentium 4 to a Core Duo.

I agree with jhoff80 in that Windows 7 is rock solid. So much so, people aren't in a hurry to switch to the latest thing. IMO, should have advertised the upgrade offer more.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    wpn00b likes this.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Windows 8 adoption measured as web statistics is nonsense. Now people use phones and tablets to browse the web, in the time of vista and 7 the pc was the only way to access internet.
    Bartdog likes this.

Biggest issue for win8 sales is an industry wide hardware shortage in touch screens for both laptops and AIOs. If not for this Touch sales would be 2x to 3x current sales for most OEMs.
    David Tomilson likes this.

Global Posts
    1,905 Global Posts
    From what I could read, it seems as though the figures reflect SALES of the new OS rather than upgrades from older systems. In case anybody noticed, Vista was released at the high point of the crazy financing/housing bubble and people were spending cash as if it were going to end. And it did. A more accurate story would be about retail licensing figures, that is the actual measure of adoption. Anyway, W8 is fantastic but I don't see much of a reason to leave 7. They finally got one right.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Windows 8 serves no real purpose--the wrong answer to the question nobody asked, coupled with the fact that Windows 7 is excellent is a pretty huge double whammy.
    Why can't they just give the option of totally disabling Metro in a desktop environment? It was there in the betas. People don't like change, especially when it doesn't actually improve the user experience on a desktop. Tablet and phone? Sure, Metro is awesome, but otherwise, I sort of resent Microsoft cramming this crap down our throat.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    XP was out for 6 years before Vista came out, and XP wasn't always completely stable, and had slowdown issues over time. People were waiting around for the next version, near the end.

7 has only been out for 3 years, and is rock-solid.

Besides that, these days we tend to be at a point of diminishing returns for hardware power for most users. There's less incentive to upgrade from a first-generation Core i5 (which was released around the time 7 did), for example, than there was back when people were upgrading from a Pentium 4 to a Core Duo.
    I haven't upgraded my laptop since the Core 2 Duo generation. There's no reason to upgrade, my laptop runs Chrome, Word and Excel. I don't need it to do anything more than that.

Plenty of reasons to upgrade dude...touch screens, better display resolution, faster procs and graphics, much improved battery life, ssd drives, etc. Need more reasons?
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcar1979 View Post
    Plenty of reasons to upgrade dude...touch screens, better display resolution, faster procs and graphics, much improved battery life, ssd drives, etc. Need more reasons?
    It depends on a user's needs. If browsing and Office is all that one needs, there is no need to buy new hardware.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Yes, I do need more reasons. None of those are applicable to my usage patterns. Would some of them be nice? Sure. Do any of them matter enough to plunk down cash? **** no. I'm totally satisfied with my mid-2009 Macbook in 2013. I've upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM, replaced the battery once, and use bootcamp frequently, no need for anything more.

I'm playing devils advocate. You said there is no reason to upgrade. I am saying there are plenty of reasons - especially Touch. Win8 + Touch on a laptop or convertible is very compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Windows 8 serves no real purpose--the wrong answer to the question nobody asked, coupled with the fact that Windows 7 is excellent is a pretty huge double whammy.
    Why can't they just give the option of totally disabling Metro in a desktop environment? It was there in the betas. People don't like change, especially when it doesn't actually improve the user experience on a desktop. Tablet and phone? Sure, Metro is awesome, but otherwise, I sort of resent Microsoft cramming this crap down our throat.
    Serves no purpose? How about the purpose of creating an OS to cater to the changing landscape of input methods. People are increasingly demanding alternative methods to the standard mouse/keyboard - Touch, Voice, Motion, etc. MSFT has been trying to bring Touch around for years to larger devices and finally got there with Windows 8.

Also you can easily boot to the DT by using 3rd party apps like Start8. It even brings back the legacy Start button for those folks who fear change.
    gmlongo likes this.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    People don't like change.
    Ridiculous ccomment. People adore change, especially when it comes to tech.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmanzo View Post
    Ridiculous ccomment. People adore change, especially when it comes to tech.
    Tech enthusiasts adore change. My mother would be in tears trying to figure out Windows 8.
    Bartdog and LeLee092 like this.

Tech enthusiasts adore change. My mother would be in tears trying to figure out Windows 8.
    Win8 is quite simple...my 75 year old Dad can use it
    David Tomilson likes this.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danbbrantley View Post
    I'd say the difference here is that Windows 8 is actually awesome. It's fast, more power efficient than Windows 7, and lets touch users as well as keyboard and mouse users get what they want. Vista was a power hugging bloated OS.
    This should lead to more success down the road. My dad has been a diehard XP power user since it released and recently moved to Windows 8. He swore at it for about 3 hours and now can't stop telling me how great it is. He went ahead and put it on two more computers that had been running Vista in our house right away. None are touch enabled.

Corporate customers on Windows 7 won't likely change, but it makes more sense to upgrade from XP or Vista to Windows 8 than it does Windows 7.
    @Bold: I have a similar story. I was mainly an XP user and at first glance Windows 8 seemed unnecessarily foreign but I like it now. Its not perfect but it is much better. Within a few days I bought two more licenses. One computer with 7 was upgraded and the other wasn't.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    People don't need windows 8. I got it because it was 40 bucks but windows 7 is perfect so why upgrade ? I barely ever go to the metro side of windows 8.
    LeLee092 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Win8 is quite simple...my 75 year old Dad can use it
    Cool. We can exchange anecdotes all day. I don't know a single person using Windows 8. There, another anecdote.
    The fact is, no matter which polling company, analyst, or computer producer you ask (with the exception of Dell), they'll all tell you Windows 8 has flopped.

one of the reasons I also feel that windows 8 isn't "doing well" is because back in the vista time, there weren't as many blogs and google searching vista and seeing reviews and all that jazz.. now anyone types into google news and they'll see all these anti-win8 blogs about people who either didn't use the OS, or people that just want to bash Microsoft.

there are many advantages to windows 8, but not everyone needs them no. However it does have a bit of a learning curve and people aren't very patient these days when it comes to tech. "I want it now, not in 2 seconds".. they want to boot into the desktop mode, instead of clicking desktop button which can be moved to the top corner of the start menu for easy access. Or hitting any of the applications you need that are pinned on the start menu that will launch the desktop mode.

What is the desktop really? If you think about it.. it's a place to store a series of icons to access programs right? does the modern UI start menu not do just that? except with live tiles? You can pin anything to the start menu, as well as organize it into columns. Plus in the start menu you can just start typing and everything from programs / apps, system settings, search your apps, etc all happen right away.

how to access all the menus is pretty easy too in the apps (right click is a menu, and putting your mouse in any corner will bring up one of the menus). You are used to putting your mouse in the corner to access the start button anyway, so just got a bit further and hit the actual corner.

The whole app system seems dumb at first.. why do you need apps on your desktop? especially if you don't have a touchscreen (like me). But go a bit futher than that and think of the utility of having the side-by-side apps. Running your chat app while playing a desktop game in full screen or browsing the web while skyping in another screen. both up at once. Also there are many apps on the store for productivity, information, and fun. You used to have to go to various websites for many of the services or buy software that now you can get apps for, many of which are free.

Yes some of this has been done by 3rd party software you could buy or download but now it's built into the OS. Another such feature is the windows defender. in windows 7 and before it was anti-spyware detector. however the windows 8 version is a fully functional anti-virus software. There are many other free and paid versions however now you have one pre-built into the OS. This one also gets updated what seems to be daily really.

Yes, nothing is perfect. They all have their hiccups and bumps in the road but I feel that there is nothing wrong with windows 8 at all. and it has many benefits to upgrading (especially for $40!!! seriously... cannot beat that price...) And it integrates well with other windows devices like the tablets and phones (skydrive yay).

But many people are just too lazy or impatient or afraid of change. They hear one bad thing like "they changed the start menu" and everyone is out calling up the Mayans because **** is freezing over. You may not want to upgrade right now because you don't feel you need to update anything, but that doesn't mean the OS is bad.
    Thanked by:
    Kredrian and Zeroplanetz like this.

Cool. We can exchange anecdotes all day. I don't know a single person using Windows 8. There, another anecdote.
    The fact is, no matter which polling company, analyst, or computer producer you ask (with the exception of Dell), they'll all tell you Windows 8 has flopped.
    I know more than a few people who have upgraded to Windows 8. However, I also live outside the Apple media box.

You see most of that rubbish from Fujitsu (who is bust due to being so Euro centric, not Windows 8), and Acer who got their panties in a bunch over the Surface tablet. Comparing Win8 to legacy OS adoption is a tricky thing. When XP, Vista, etc launched there really wasnt a true compete - the tablet craze hadnt kicked in yet. You are seeing solid Win8 adoption in mid to high priced systems, especially Touch. On the low end the battle is fierce due tablets. I am not sure how MSFT solves the $199 to $399 tablet issue unless they discount the Surface (like they should have to being with).
    Bartdog likes this.

I'm playing devils advocate. You said there is no reason to upgrade. I am saying there are plenty of reasons - especially Touch. Win8 + Touch on a laptop or convertible is very compelling.
    Compelling for whom?

I don't know many people who have upgraded their existing computers to Windows 8. But I know a few who bought new PCs or convertibles even when they didn't really NEED one, just because they wanted Windows 8. And these were regular people. Not big techies. But they did have disposable income.

If you don't have a touch screen on your current machine, then you probably don't feel a need to upgrade. Even if you really like and want Windows 8, it seems more like a luxury than necessity because 5 yr old PCs and 3 yr old laptops still could run everything fine.
    Laura Knotek and LeLee092 like this.

Agree...Touch is the key sales driver for Win8. Its too bad their Xbox Music/Vid experience is poor. That could have been another great selling point.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast