Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

I have regularly contacted VZW over the past few months, but finally made some headway over the past week. After sending an email earlier in the week and then seperately using our corporate contacts, I received two phone calls today saying pretty much the same thing. The "on the record" answer is that Verizon is now aware of the issue due to signficant inquiry from customers and is working on a solution which they will roll out in the next few months. "Off the record" they told me that it will be out by the end of the second quarter. I also just got the following email from customer support confirming the "off the record" statements. In addition, one of the reps will be speaking to the Windows Phone dev team at VZW early next week and will give me an update

Reference Number: XXXXXXXXX
    The following has been completed:
    • We received your inquiry regarding why Group Messaging features do not currently work on your new HTC Windows 8 device for mobile number, XXX-XXX-XXXX.
    • We researched the issue and determined this is a known issue with a possible software update that will fix this issue by end of second quarter 2013.
    • Please feel free to review our website periodically at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless for more information.

Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Good to know.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!

Global Posts
    529 Global Posts
    This is great news! However I feel end of Q2 will come and go and well still be wondering.

So, if what they're saying is it can only be updated with a software update, then we can assume that this will be under the GDR2 update since GDR3 won't come to windows phone till at least the fall season timeframe. I'm on AT&T but at least Verizon users now know they'll possibly be receiving the GDR2 update at around the end of 2Q13 which puts it at the end of June/beginning of July timeframe.
    Last edited by crav4speed; 03-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Windows - Surface RT

Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

My understanding from my conversation was they could push it out seperately, but that being said, the rep wasn't from the development team. Assuming GDR2 comes out in the April timeframe as has been rumored, the three month lag for GDR2 would make sense based on our wait for Portico.

Thanks so much for the update. Amazing that this is the most official bit of news I have found on the whole issue
  7. SB5

Hey I just chatted with one of the Verizon Reps and he told me the same thing but went more specific by saying: "The tenative date for this is May of this year".

(BTW long time reader of WPcentral, but just decided to get an account to post on the forums)

Awesome...cant come soon enough. Thanks for sharing!

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I agree. Use messaging at work all the time.

Maybe this is something different, but Verizon just released Verizon Messages which can do group messaging and seamlessly switch back and forth between the native text app on the phone and a tablet. There isn't a Windows 8 App yet, but the iPad version seems to work pretty well with a Windows Phone.

Here's the Verizon page:
    Verizon Messages - Verizon Wireless

Here's a ZDNet article explaining it:
    Verizon Messages app brings text messages to all your tablets (hands on) | ZDNet

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Just got off phone with Verizon and update is coming for group text in may.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    *bump* regarding great news for Verizon customers. I'm looking forward to May.
    Microsoft does not read these Forums. Please go to the Windows Phone Suggestion Site and make your voice be heard.

This has been confirmed in writing from Verizon via BBB:

"We are working with Microsoft to provide group text messaging capability on the Windows Phone 8X by HTC as quickly as possible. The feature will be added with a mid-year software update."

If not...reopening that ticket -.-

Not breaking news, but as long as someone is searching here's a quick update from a chat transcript I had:

VZWREP: Ok, so there is a software release scheduled down the road (I wish I could be more specific but the techs keep dates close to the vest)...the software update will include the ability to use the group messaging feature like on previous versions of the phone.
    Dano: really? if that's true that's fantastic news
    VZWREP: Yes, it is true

So it's not dead in the water yet. Still being worked on according to they at Big Red.
    Thanked by:

Ugh, they need to hurry up. I've had the May target for a few months now
    Thanked by:

To be fair, they originally told me "end of Q2"

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I know it's only been a couple days. But just a quick question.. if this update does come failry soon. Will this fix my issue?

I never send any group messages, but my coach will send messages to the whole team and I don't receive them. So someone has to physically copy the message and re-send it to me and me only and I'll get it. If they forget to do this, I miss out on the message. Will this update fix this issue?

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kainzd View Post
    I know it's only been a couple days. But just a quick question.. if this update does come failry soon. Will this fix my issue?

I never send any group messages, but my coach will send messages to the whole team and I don't receive them. So someone has to physically copy the message and re-send it to me and me only and I'll get it. If they forget to do this, I miss out on the message. Will this update fix this issue?
    I dont know. You should be getting those.

Quote Originally Posted by Kainzd View Post

This has been happening with me lately as well. Friends send group texts, and I get responses from others on the text, but not the initial one. Getting a little frustrating, especially since everything has been pretty alright with it in the past. They just need to fix the MMS issue all together.

spoke with Verizon yesterday telling them about this new problem. Was told there is an upgrade coming in June that will fix MMS issues and possibly add group text. He wasn't clear on that last part, but I think it would be through Wifi.

He also said that Androids are getting away from group texting. Is that true? I don't see why.
    Thanked by:

I don't like the sound of that...not one bit

Well, that didn't pan out quite the way we were hoping now did it?

Fingers crossed for a June update.

Quote Originally Posted by MatsuDano View Post
    Well, that didn't pan out quite the way we were hoping now did it?

Fingers crossed for a June update.
    the only issue is, I don't have $500 laying around to go get a Nexus 4 if this doesn't happen. Absolutely insane that we are not getting full use of texting even though we are paying for a texting plan. I am tempted to go in and ask for some kind of discount since their system is FUBAR.

why doesn't Verizon offer Verizon Messenger to Windows 8 phones? That seems to be their way of fixing Androids lack of ability to group text, it just seems like the easy solution. Instead we play the waiting game for an update that isn't going to fix anything, I fear.

I am still not even getting initial messages from incoming group texts. I get the responses in individual texts, but not the original message. This is getting beyond ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddro6 View Post
    spoke with Verizon yesterday telling them about this new problem. Was told there is an upgrade coming in June that will fix MMS issues and possibly add group text. He wasn't clear on that last part, but I think it would be through Wifi.

He also said that Androids are getting away from group texting. Is that true? I don't see why.
    This would be outrageous... I will seriously consider switching carriers if they do not get their act together on this ASAP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast