| | 02-25-2013, 05:51 PM #1
The launch of the 520 and 720 at MWC got me thinking that Nokia has something planned for North America sometime in the coming months. Here are some of the reasons why I think this is the case:
1) The 520 and 720 launched with hardly any word on whether or not these phones would be available in North America. Yes there is the 521 on T-Mobile but that was about it. The 720 looks like it will be specifically for Asia, Africa and Europe for the time being. You would think that at least one carrier in the US or Canada would have been mentioned for picking up the 720.
2) Both phones don't have LTE support and we know LTE is a big feature for consumers in North America. Could there be different variants with LTE support headed to the US and Canada?
3) We know there is a Verizon 920 variant out there somewhere and that it will arrive some time in the coming months but no one knows when. It is not going to be released without fan fare so there will most likely be an event for it.
4) All the talk of EOS and Catwalk from a few weeks means that those phones are probably already in development. Releasing them at the end of this year would be too far away IMO. Not only that but the 920's exclusivity with AT&T ends in May and there will have to be a new flagship to take over especially if they want to compete with the GS4.
5) No events have been announced yet but we have seen how Google likes to schedule their own events any time there is a WP event scheduled. I think in this case the launch event for new devices in North America will be done on short notice.
Also, Samsung is launching the GS4 on March 14th so I think Nokia will want to counter that buzz with something of their own shortly after.
This is just speculation on my part but I get the feeling Nokia has something up their sleeves for the coming months.