Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    When is MWC so we have an idea to expect some type of announcement?
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    When is MWC so we have an idea to expect some type of announcement?
    End of February.

Richard Edmonds
    UK Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: rich@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @RichEdmonds
    Socl: RichEdmonds

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Aka - way too long from now.

That's about 6 weeks. If VZW does make an announcement, they usually do it when the product is ready to ship in a week or two. So worst case, 2 weeks after MWC we should have a new device. That's 8 weeks from now, which would be about 6 months from the launch of the exclusive to AT&T Lumia 920. Hope it happens.....

and we wait and wait and wait and wait...

btw...the lumia 920 was available starting Nov 9th on AT&T. So the 6 month mark is May 9th. So I guess we'll keep on waiting and waiting and waiting...
    Quote Originally Posted by mythicjee View Post
    and we wait and wait and wait and wait...

Btw...the lumia 920 was available starting nov 9th on at&t. So the 6 month mark is may 9th. So i guess we'll keep on waiting and waiting and waiting...
    lol

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I really hope he is not talking about Lumia 920 variant because in about 6 months that phone is going to be outdated.

The Samsung Galaxy S IV is coming out in May 2013 with the specs with wireless charging and
    , the device is being developed under Project J and will indeed come with a 4.99-inch Super AMOLED display with full-HD resolution, giving it a pixel density of 441ppi.

It is also likely to feature a 13-megapixel rear auto-focus camera and a slightly thicker, 9.2mm body. Additionally, murmurs are that the new Samsung Android flagship will run on Jelly Bean and is likely to feature the company's latest Exynos 5 Octa eight-core processor unveiled at CES. The new SoC will be manufactured using a 28nm process as opposed to the 32nm process used by the Exynos 5 Dual, hence claiming to be more power-efficient.
    Samsung Galaxy S IV to come with wireless charging support: Report | NDTV Gadgets

These types of phones are going to be the next generation phones in a few months and Microsoft will definitely need high end phones to stay in the market

Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    These types of phones are going to be the next generation phones in a few months and Microsoft will definitely need high end phones to stay in the market
    It's all in the hands of Microsoft. Manufacturers can't move faster if MS doesn't phase out the SoC's faster.

You wont see any manufacturer suddenly coming out with full HD screen, if the SoC isn't updated to newer one. That's why the devices come in wave in WP ecosystem and core hardware is the same in the similarly prices devices, with manufacturers differentiating on cameras, design, screen types and so on.

I hope Microsoft does understand to move fast.

Global Posts
    2,521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post

I hope Microsoft does understand to move fast.
    You obviously don't know Microsoft. /s
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    You obviously don't know Microsoft. /s
    I know Microsoft and that's exactly why i said it. :D

In the mobile business you can't be Microsoft. All my hope is towards the new kernel helping MS to move faster. We will see in 1 years time if that's the case.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    so... with the rumors of the Nokia "EOS" device hitting AT&T, can we assume that Verizon will get an updated 920 and the EOS will be the new, best Nokia device, leaving Verizon in the dust again?

:(

Nokia EOS: the first real PureView Windows Phone is coming this year | The Verge
    Quote Originally Posted by sabi View Post
    so... with the rumors of the Nokia "EOS" device hitting AT&T, can we assume that Verizon will get an updated 920 and the EOS will be the new, best Nokia device, leaving Verizon in the dust again?

Nokia EOS: the first real PureView Windows Phone is coming this year | The Verge
    That's the feeling I get...

Quote Originally Posted by sabi View Post

"AT&T will stock the handset later this year, according to our sources."

Later this year means that AT&T will get it after the Verizon exclusive runs out, he said with more hope than conviction. :P

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon shifted focus to BB10 after this next run of WPs. They've gotta be pissed that AT&T keeps on getting the flagship Nokias. Nokia needs to get it together and make availability similar to the 8X. There is a report that Nokia will have a low, mid, and high end WP on all three carriers thought. Hopefully the EOS will be on all of them
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Tom Warren also tweeted that a high-end Lumia is coming soon to Verizon. I do believe the carriers want a third ecosystem, it's easy to get caught up in the blackberry hype, but I doubt it BB10 will live up to all the hype.
    Last edited by dogfish54; 01-23-2013 at 07:11 PM.

I agree, I seems they go for short term gain over longevity to stop the bleeding. In reality it just puts band aid on the wound which gets infected later......
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon shifted focus to BB10 after this next run of WPs. They've gotta be pissed that AT&T keeps on getting the flagship Nokias. Nokia needs to get it together and make availability similar to the 8X. There is a report that Nokia will have a low, mid, and high end WP on all three carriers thought. Hopefully the EOS will be on all of them
    With due respect, AT&T also doesn't put the kibosh on OS features

I think Verizon should exercise a little patience. After all, it wasn't so long ago that Verizon only offered one Windows Phone 7 device over a couple of years that AT&T offered many, and that device (HTC Trophy) was far from "flagship." In other words, AT&T has been a better partner for Windows Phone 7 from the start, so Verizon probably has a bit of catching up to do in that relationship.

@Honestabebread - I am a little confused. The original tweet was about a high-end Lumia coming soon on Verizon. Is this now unlikely?

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    @Honestabebread - I am a little confused. The original tweet was about a high-end Lumia coming soon on Verizon. Is this now unlikely?
    No, its still likely I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon quit supporting Nokia because they keep giving AT&T exclusivity. I'm not saying VZW would be against WP8, just saying that they would be against Nokia.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

I guess I could understand that perspective IF VZW weren't about to get (a likely exclusive) high-end Lumia. I would agree however (about them quitting supporting Nokia) if it's just the same 920 but just six months after the AT&T release. I really don't see this being the case though. As stated before, I think Nokia will alternate flagships on the two big carriers, with the major international release devices on AT&T.

No, its still likely I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon quit supporting Nokia because they keep giving AT&T exclusivity. I'm not saying VZW would be against WP8, just saying that they would be against Nokia.
    The only problem is that if Verizon truly wants to support Windows Phone, there is no equivalent to Nokia in quality. HTC comes the closest, but they are still not really in the same league.

I can understand Verizon wanting exclusivity, if that is the case then why not ask Nokia what it would take to gain exclusivity over AT&T? Or, at least what it would take to have no exclusivity on either carrier. If Nokia is getting a much better deal with AT&T, then essentially Verizon would be attempting to strongarm Nokia into taking a worse deal no?

Anyway, I don't like exclusivity deals and I hope neither Nokia nor Verizon/AT&T pursue them in the future. This past quarter, it was pretty clear Nokia didn't have the supply/capacity for Verizon regardless of the AT&T, though.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Why is it always Nokia's fault on the exclusivity? Certainly Verizon is big enough that they can make a competitive offer to get an exclusive. It's been said that Verizon thinks it's all about their network and will not make deals. If they really are pissed about it, then do something, quit expecting the world to give it to you because you are Verizon.

Don't get me wrong. I would rather see all phones on all carriers. Just don't see how Verizon escapes blame in this.
    Thanked by:
    theefman, tissotti and a5cent like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Anyway, I don't like exclusivity deals and I hope neither Nokia nor Verizon/AT&T pursue them in the future.
    I agree with your post, but want to add that in general, U.S. carriers are the ones looking for exclusivity deals, not Nokia or any other OEM. Hence, such problems aren't going away anytime soon.

Most other countries have never seen carrier exclusive devices. That is at least a strong indicator that it isn't the OEM's. Nokia sells the 920 in many countries...only in two of them are they restricted to certain carriers.

With the 920, this likely also worked out to Nokia's benefit (supply issues and higher subsidies from AT&T they wouldn't otherwise have gotten), but that isn't always the case.

The only reason Apple and Samsung don't have any such problems with carriers is because they have such a grip on the market. Carriers need iPhones and S3s to compete, so carriers can't really afford to refuse their manufacturers subsidization requirements, even if the carriers would typically only offer that level of subsidization to exclusive phones.

This is exactly why carriers are looking to establish a third option beyond Apple and Samsung, although most would prefer RIM over MS (MS owning Skype scares them silly). Carriers want to be at Apple's and Samsung's mercy no longer. They want a say in the devices coming to their network, or the economic freedom to tell them to shove it.

Nokia will offer one high end device across all carriers, but it will cost closer to $200 due to not receiving those subsidies carriers reserve for exclusives.
    Last edited by a5cent; 01-24-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Thanked by:
    tissotti likes this.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    We'll see how "committed" Verizon is to WP by how it prices this new Lumia device.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast