Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

MacPhisto... Any regrets on getting the 822 with a possible 822 HD coming or flagship Nokia? I am hoping this info is good. I am due for a new phone in May and can't wait to see what my Nokia choices are!
    Quote Originally Posted by odin09 View Post
    MacPhisto... Any regrets on getting the 822 with a possible 822 HD coming or flagship Nokia? I am hoping this info is good. I am due for a new phone in May and can't wait to see what my Nokia choices are!
    No regrets. The phone is fantastic, but I could not have waited and would have pulled the trigger at some point, especially with family having the 822. I'll get the latest and greatest on my next upgrade.

Not sure I want anything other than Nokia right now. The app support is incredible. Never seen a phone mmanufacturer back up their phone like Nokia has so far.
    Thanked by:
    hopmedic and dogfish54 like this.

I just ordered the gray 822 today. Was waiting to see the Samsung Odyssey, but just couldn't wait as my iPhone is busted up and at the moment limping along.

The main reason was your recommendations and I love my sons Nokia apps on his 920. Unfortunately my work only pays for Verizon. The good news is I can upgrade again in a year if I need to, so I will get the latest next fall :)
    snowmutt and dogfish54 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Booston View Post
    I just ordered the gray 822 today. Was waiting to see the Samsung Odyssey, but just couldn't wait as my iPhone is busted up and at the moment limping along.

The main reason was your recommendations and I love my sons Nokia apps on his 920. Unfortunately my work only pays for Verizon. The good news is I can upgrade again in a year if I need to, so I will get the latest next fall :)
    No pressure. ;)

I hope you enjoy it. I have family with the black 822s and have spent some time with the white. I like my gray the best. It really is a nice look.

My fiancée has the Nokia 822. It honestly is a spectacular phone... if you are picky you can kinda tell the screen is not HD (just a tad fuzzy) if you have used a 720p or better phone before, but I think 99% of people would not notice and love the screen; despite the low res, the large size and AMOLED makes it pop. That is about the only bad thing I can think of. Camera is amazing for a phone this cheap, it makes the camera on my HTC Trophy seem like a Fischer Price toy. It is one of the most solid phones I've ever held, in some ways probably is even more solid than the 920 as the screen is flat and thus not as vulnerable.

I'm reading some exciting things about the 920 VZW variant in this thread and other similar threads. However, there are some things that aren't convincing. So far I've read that it will be slightly better spec wise (i.e. quad core, better camera) and might be available Easterish. And it was initially targeted for a Nov release but got pushed back because AT&T got an exclusive last moment. This argument doesn't make sense. For the sake of argument...let's say the two phones were different in specs (VZW better) to begin with, there was no exclusivity, and were released the same time on both carriers. Why would AT&T even put up with such a scenario? They would be absolutely mad. If it was going to be released the same time then the specs had to be comparable. Nokia is trying to keep both carriers happy and not **** off one and make the other happy.

If the specs are better on the VZW phone then it had to be planned to be released at a later date very early on. By design and not by some reactionary situation. The better phone has to come at a later date to follow the natural progression of technology upgrades. And there is no way that upon finding out about exclusivity VZW asked for a better spec phone and Nokia complied to appease them. It isn't enough time to develop and test the product.

Now, getting to the exclusivity... I don't think I've seen any official statement from AT&T or Nokia talking about the term of the exclusivity. All we have is an official statement saying it's exclusive. And then we have the leaked training video that talks about exclusivity being 6 months. It would be nice if someone can find and post an official statement of 6-month exclusivity. Assuming AT&T has a 6-month exclusive, AT&T would have planned for a certain amount of sales and commited to purchasing those units from Nokia. As pointed out by others, it would be higher volumes upfront and then slowing down. However, even the slowdown would have to be counted. If VZW somehow got their own better version out during the slowdown period then that would hurt AT&T sales. The whole point of exclusivity is to gain competitive advantage and increase revenue as a result of that. AT&T wouldn't agree to Nokia providing a better phone to VZW during that period. Even if there were legal workarounds with different model number series (i.e. 10xx) or specs, it wouldn't be good for AT&T/Nokia relationship long term. It might work this time around but big problems will ensue moving forward. Nokia needs both carriers to succeed so they will do what's fair.

Considering all this, here are my viewpoints:
    - If VZW variant has better specs then it was always meant to come out at a later date.
    - If AT&T does indeed have a 6-month exclusive then VZW version will come out in May.
    - If it does come out at an earlier date then the exclusivity isn't really 6-months. Perhaps a 90-day one or an open-ended one.

Anyways, thanks to Mr. MacPhisto and Honestabebread for providing some insight and info that would otherwise be unavailable to us. Because of that info we can opine here...
    Quote Originally Posted by MythicJee View Post
    I'm reading some exciting things about the 920 VZW variant in this thread and other similar threads. However, there are some things that aren't convincing. So far I've read that it will be slightly better spec wise (i.e. quad core, better camera) and might be available Easterish. And it was initially targeted for a Nov release but got pushed back because AT&T got an exclusive last moment. This argument doesn't make sense. For the sake of argument...let's say the two phones were different in specs (VZW better) to begin with, there was no exclusivity, and were released the same time on both carriers. Why would AT&T even put up with such a scenario? They would be absolutely mad. If it was going to be released the same time then the specs had to be comparable. Nokia is trying to keep both carriers happy and not **** off one and make the other happy.

If the specs are better on the VZW phone then it had to be planned to be released at a later date very early on. By design and not by some reactionary situation. The better phone has to come at a later date to follow the natural progression of technology upgrades. And there is no way that upon finding out about exclusivity VZW asked for a better spec phone and Nokia complied to appease them. It isn't enough time to develop and test the product.

Now, getting to the exclusivity... I don't think I've seen any official statement from AT&T or Nokia talking about the term of the exclusivity. All we have is an official statement saying it's exclusive. And then we have the leaked training video that talks about exclusivity being 6 months. It would be nice if someone can find and post an official statement of 6-month exclusivity. Assuming AT&T has a 6-month exclusive, AT&T would have planned for a certain amount of sales and commited to purchasing those units from Nokia. As pointed out by others, it would be higher volumes upfront and then slowing down. However, even the slowdown would have to be counted. If VZW somehow got their own better version out during the slowdown period then that would hurt AT&T sales. The whole point of exclusivity is to gain competitive advantage and increase revenue as a result of that. AT&T wouldn't agree to Nokia providing a better phone to VZW during that period. Even if there were legal workarounds with different model number series (i.e. 10xx) or specs, it wouldn't be good for AT&T/Nokia relationship long term. It might work this time around but big problems will ensue moving forward. Nokia needs both carriers to succeed so they will do what's fair.

Considering all this, here are my viewpoints:
    - If VZW variant has better specs then it was always meant to come out at a later date.
    - If AT&T does indeed have a 6-month exclusive then VZW version will come out in May.
    - If it does come out at an earlier date then the exclusivity isn't really 6-months. Perhaps a 90-day one or an open-ended one.

Anyways, thanks to Mr. MacPhisto and Honestabebread for providing some insight and info that would otherwise be unavailable to us. Because of that info we can opine here...
    That quad-core is not a 920 variant, but a different phone. I'm sure it will share some components, but the phone that had been expected to release in November on Verizon was a match for the 920 with a higher MP camera sensor and CDMA2000 support.

The quad-core will have a higher number and has always been slated for spring.

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    I read this and thought how exciting it was going to be. Then I decided to sell my 822 and give the 920 on AT&T a try. I met the buyer last evening at the local Verizon store to make the activation changes. While this process was ongoing, I asked the young man helping us if they were selling many Windows Phones and his reply was "Not many, none of us in the store know much about them and it's a harder sell than Apple or Android."

I hope Elop's comment come true but Verizon needs to hire some middle age reps to interface with the middle age to older Verizon customers. I think that one older Rep in each store would increase interest in WP8 devices and do their older customers a good service by not selling them Android phones.

Just my 2Cents so ya'll start piling on for my insensitive comment about older customers.
    Last edited by aximtreo; 12-22-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spell correction

Verizon has been pushing windows phones on their employees and management. As they use the devices I am sure they will become more knowledgeable. I have experienced mixed results at my local stores. Some push windows phone and some ignore it.

I'm glad I stuck with Verizon. I love the direction WP is going and I'm glad Verizon is fully backing it.

Thanks MacPhisto for all the sweet info. I love my 822. It works so well.

Nokia WPs are the only option. The have the build and the features. I'm glad to see Samsung and HTC supporting, but Nokia has proven themselves once again to be quality.

--
    Favorite Phone: Nokia Lumia
    Favorite Portable: Asus Transformer
    Banned

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Still pumpin out the same dull, uninspired crap they've already put out I see. Preluva shakes his head!
    Quote Originally Posted by fusioncept View Post
    I'm glad I stuck with Verizon. I love the direction WP is going and I'm glad Verizon is fully backing it.

Thanks MacPhisto for all the sweet info. I love my 822. It works so well.

Nokia WPs are the only option. The have the build and the features. I'm glad to see Samsung and HTC supporting, but Nokia has proven themselves once again to be quality.
    Glad you're enjoying it. I'm also loving my 822.

I was one who wasn't too sure about Nokia when they announced for WP because they hadn't made any noise here in the States for a long time. I had a Nokia back when I was with Alltel and it was okay, but nothing special. I didn't like it as much as the Moto Startac I replaced with it. Now I don't know if I want anything other than Nokia. Great phones that are well built with tremendous app support running the greatest mobile OS on the planet.

And I think WP8 and Nokia will only get better at this point. It's just starting.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aximtreo View Post
    I read this and thought how exciting it was going to be. Then I decided to sell my 822 and give the 920 on AT&T a try. I met the buyer last evening at the local Verizon store to make the activation changes. While this process was ongoing, I asked the young man helping us if they were selling many Windows Phones and his reply was "Not many, none of us in the store know much about them and it's a harder sell than Apple or Android."

I hope Elop's comment come true but Verizon needs to hire some middle age reps to interface with the middle age to older Verizon customers. I think that one older Rep in each store would increase interest in WP8 devices and do their older customers a good service by not selling them Android phones.

Just my 2Cents so ya'll start piling on for my insensitive comment about older customers.
    I just think it's unnecessary to say that Verizon needs older reps to cater to older customers. I work for the enemy (Apple), and connect with people from any age range. The problem is, they aren't invested in windows phone sales. iOS and Android built a very large fan base, and now they sell themselves... Windows phone needs support, but not just for the older market.

You just need someone who tries to be a jack of all OSes. Can name the pros and cons of each, and let the phones sell themselves.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan.kruger View Post
    I just think it's unnecessary to say that Verizon needs older reps to cater to older customers. I work for the enemy (Apple), and connect with people from any age range. The problem is, they aren't invested in windows phone sales. iOS and Android built a very large fan base, and now they sell themselves... Windows phone needs support, but not just for the older market.

You just need someone who tries to be a jack of all OSes. Can name the pros and cons of each, and let the phones sell themselves.
    Precisely. I think WP8 can be an easy sell if a few kinks are worked out. It certainly will catch the eye.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    Precisely. I think WP8 can be an easy sell if a few kinks are worked out. It certainly will catch the eye.
    User adoption of Windows 8, particularly on tablets, touchscreen laptops, and convertible laptops/tablets will help a lot too. I've played around a lot with various touchscreen Windows 8 tablets and laptops a lot over the last week or so, and once people understand how the interface works and understand that a touch interface greatly enhances how a laptop form factor device can be used, I think people will strongly prefer that interface over non-touch, non-gesture, and non-live information interfaces. (Having said that, I will say that I think the Metro UI works better on a larger-screened device.) I haven't had a chance to use my own Windows 8 device yet, but from what I've seen and experienced, assuming Windows 8 runs smoothly most of the time like Windows 7 does, I think Windows 8 is an awesome, revolutionary product. I know I plan to buy a touchscreen Windows 8 laptop in the near future (most likely the Asus VivoBook X202E model), and I'm very excited about that.

Incidentally (for Mr. MacPhisto), thanks for the information on Verizon's upcoming Windows Phone 8 devices. I'm intrigued by the two current devices but I really want to see what high end devices come out from Samsung and especially Nokia (and I felt that way even before reading this thread). I've liked my HTC Trophy (and really liked the Metro live tiles) and outside of an e-mail problem I had about 2 months after I bought it, I thought it operated smoothly (not quite as smooth as the iPhone 4, but a lot more smooth than the two Android smartphones I've had, especially the comparable in age/when it was first released worldwide Droid 2). I'll probably hold off on buying a WP8 smartphone until a few more high-end devices come out; hopefully they'll be out soon.

P.S. In the meantime, I may buy an iPhone 5; I've been planning to buy both a WP8 device and an iPhone 5 in early 2013, though I was planning to buy the WP8 device first and I may now reverse the order of my purchases. Unlike a lot of people on WPCentral, I'm not really anti-Apple and I'm definitely not anti-iPhone; I genuinely like the iPhone 4 I have and think it works very well in general despite its age. I don't have an iPad or Mac though; even though I think Apple makes good products, I think the value to cost proposition for their products works for the iPhone but not for the iPad or Mac. I wish these tech websites that fawn all over Apple would incorporate price considerations into their reviews - sure, the iPad might be a technically excellent product, but unless you like playing tons and tons of app-based games on tablet, is the cost-value proposition there for the iPad at $500? I think not, not when you can buy a much cheaper product that has 90% of the core functionality (web-browsing) or a similar-priced product that offers greater functionality (access to solid word processing software, not to mention a keyboard that can function as an integrated unit with the tablet).

Sorry for the off-topic semi-rant at the end of my post.
    Last edited by CHIP72; 12-23-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303

That quad-core is not a 920 variant, but a different phone. I'm sure it will share some components, but the phone that had been expected to release in November on Verizon was a match for the 920 with a higher MP camera sensor and CDMA2000 support.

The quad-core will have a higher number and has always been slated for spring.
    Mr Mac - what about MicroSD in the vzn 920?

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    User adoption of Windows 8, particularly on tablets, touchscreen laptops, and convertible laptops/tablets will help a lot too. I've played around a lot with various touchscreen Windows 8 tablets and laptops a lot over the last week or so, and once people understand how the interface works and understand that a touch interface greatly enhances how a laptop form factor device can be used, I think people will strongly prefer that interface over non-touch, non-gesture, and non-live information interfaces. (Having said that, I will say that I think the Metro UI works better on a larger-screened device.) I haven't had a chance to use my own Windows 8 device yet, but from what I've seen and experienced, assuming Windows 8 runs smoothly most of the time like Windows 7 does, I think Windows 8 is an awesome, revolutionary product. I know I plan to buy a touchscreen Windows 8 laptop in the near future (most likely the Asus VivoBook X202E model), and I'm very excited about that.Incidentally (for Mr. MacPhisto), thanks for the information on Verizon's upcoming Windows Phone 8 devices. I'm intrigued by the two current devices but I really want to see what high end devices come out from Samsung and especially Nokia (and I felt that way even before reading this thread). I've liked my HTC Trophy (and really liked the Metro live tiles) and outside of an e-mail problem I had about 2 months after I bought it, I thought it operated smoothly (not quite as smooth as the iPhone 4, but a lot more smooth than the two Android smartphones I've had, especially the comparable in age/when it was first released worldwide Droid 2). I'll probably hold off on buying a WP8 smartphone until a few more high-end devices come out; hopefully they'll be out soon.P.S. In the meantime, I may buy an iPhone 5; I've been planning to buy both a WP8 device and an iPhone 5 in early 2013, though I was planning to buy the WP8 device first and I may now reverse the order of my purchases. Unlike a lot of people on WPCentral, I'm not really anti-Apple and I'm definitely not anti-iPhone; I genuinely like the iPhone 4 I have and think it works very well in general despite its age. I don't have an iPad or Mac though; even though I think Apple makes good products, I think the value to cost proposition for their products works for the iPhone but not for the iPad or Mac. I wish these tech websites that fawn all over Apple would incorporate price considerations into their reviews - sure, the iPad might be a technically excellent product, but unless you like playing tons and tons of app-based games on tablet, is the cost-value proposition there for the iPad at $500? I think not, not when you can buy a much cheaper product that has 90% of the core functionality (web-browsing) or a similar-priced product that offers greater functionality (access to solid word processing software, not to mention a keyboard that can function as an integrated unit with the tablet).Sorry for the off-topic semi-rant at the end of my post.
    I'd wait for the 5S in all seriousness, it shouldn't be too far away and should be better refined. Battery life on my 5 is limiting.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    I'd wait for the 5S in all seriousness, it shouldn't be too far away and should be better refined. Battery life on my 5 is limiting.
    I wonder if Apple will change their release cycle for the iPhone ala what they did with the iPad. Tim Cook is much more of a numbers/supply chain/market share kind of guy than Steve Jobs was, so I agree it is possible the iPhone 5S will launch in spring 2013.

Geez, this whole waiting for even better WP 8 (and iOS) smartphone devices is annoying (as is dealing with Android; my Galaxy Nexus is my only 4G LTE device so I'd like to keep it on one of my two lines, despite it being Android). Please Nokia, launch that 92X or 102X Lumia variant on Verizon sooner rather than later!

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I'm glad my wife entertains my obsessions with tech. I'll give her my recently acquired 8X, and then I will use her upgrade to get whatever Nokia phone is hitting the market next year.

Like using training wheels for jumping into WP8.

Quad core, while completely unnecessary, would push me over the edge from "want", to "must have".
    snowmutt likes this.
    I wonder if Apple will change their release cycle for the iPhone ala what they did with the iPad. Tim Cook is much more of a numbers/supply chain/market share kind of guy than Steve Jobs was, so I agree it is possible the iPhone 5S will launch in spring 2013.

Geez, this whole waiting for even better WP 8 (and iOS) smartphone devices is annoying (as is dealing with Android; my Galaxy Nexus is my only 4G LTE device so I'd like to keep it on one of my two lines, despite it being Android). Please Nokia, launch that 92X or 102X Lumia variant on Verizon sooner rather than later!
    I wonder if it's more because sales aren't impressive right now. Lots of competition for the iPhone now. They still sell a lot, but their stock has fallen for reasons beyond tax rates going up. I think many saw the parts order reduction and excess inventory as indicators that Apple may have peaked. I tend to think that iOS will continue a market share decline while Android continues to stay strong and the Windows products gain traction. I also think BB10 will help RIM a bit. Apple's not going to lose money or anything, but I think in the next two years they'll be far less powerful in tech.
  21.    #46  
    User adoption of Windows 8, particularly on tablets, touchscreen laptops, and convertible laptops/tablets will help a lot too. I've played around a lot with various touchscreen Windows 8 tablets and laptops a lot over the last week or so, and once people understand how the interface works and understand that a touch interface greatly enhances how a laptop form factor device can be used, I think people will strongly prefer that interface over non-touch, non-gesture, and non-live information interfaces. (Having said that, I will say that I think the Metro UI works better on a larger-screened device.) I haven't had a chance to use my own Windows 8 device yet, but from what I've seen and experienced, assuming Windows 8 runs smoothly most of the time like Windows 7 does, I think Windows 8 is an awesome, revolutionary product. I know I plan to buy a touchscreen Windows 8 laptop in the near future (most likely the Asus VivoBook X202E model), and I'm very excited about that.
    One thing you need to watch for on laptops with touch screens is hinge design. I have an HP dv6t SE with a touch screen, purchased with Win7, that I've been running Win8 on since the developer preview last September. I've got epoxy inside it, in place of the plastic that failed due to the poor hinge design. This is the only HP I've ever owned, and it will be the last, I'm sure. The air flow path is designed such that where the dust catches you actually have to take the thing apart - all the way down to removing the heat sink from the processor, if you want to get all of the dust out of the air flow path. There is no way you can expect Joe Computer User to take his laptop apart down to that degree, but it got to the point that the thing was shutting down at temps of 100C processor temp. But I digress... The hinge of a touchscreen laptop should be beefier than a standard laptop, or it isn't going to last, as I have proven with this one.

I wonder if it's more because sales aren't impressive right now. Lots of competition for the iPhone now. They still sell a lot, but their stock has fallen for reasons beyond tax rates going up. I think many saw the parts order reduction and excess inventory as indicators that Apple may have peaked. I tend to think that iOS will continue a market share decline while Android continues to stay strong and the Windows products gain traction. I also think BB10 will help RIM a bit. Apple's not going to lose money or anything, but I think in the next two years they'll be far less powerful in tech.
    iOS continue a decline and Android continue to stay strong?? The latest numbers show that (in the US) iOS went from 35.8% to 53.3% from last November to this November, while Android dropped form 52.8% to 41.9% in the same time frame. In other nations, the numbers aren't all as dramatic, but most of them show the same directions with a couple exceptions. I do like the climb of Windows Phone from 1.9% to 4.2% in Australia, and from 3.6% to 11.8% in Italy. In the US we're only at 2.7%, up from 2.1%, but we must also keep in mind that this report is based on numbers prior to the launch numbers for Windows Phone 8.
    Latest report shows global Win Phone growth, strong Nokia comeback in the UK | Windows Phone Central
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Thanked by:
    CHIP72 

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Hopmedic - thanks for the insights on touchscreen laptops. Your comments give me some pause about buying a touchscreen laptop. I still probably will go in that direction, but I'll take a closer look at the laptops' hinge construction. The Asus VivoBook X202E did appear to be solidly constructed when I've looked at it previously, but I didn't focus on the hinge.

Other notable devices:

I've heard that they have a couple of things up their sleeve.

Firstly, Verizon is very pleased with the sales of the 822. From what I understand, it is quite a hot seller thus far and was reduced to $49.99 because of the margin and the interest - making it more of a mass market product. It will bump back up to $99.99 in January, though.

They are disappointed in the HTC 8X. The high price and lack of features is a problem and apparently HTC did not help matters by being inflexible on expanding storage (Verizon asked them for a 32GB model to go with the wireless charging) and being inflexible on the price they charged the carrier. Reading between the lines indicates that HTC may have gotten a big head over the 8X and it ended up biting them in their bums. Nokia's aggressive strategy is paying dividends with all carriers they are available on - and making the carriers more interest in adding more Nokia WP8 devices.

Verizon has asked Nokia for a version of the 620 that has LTE capability because they really want to move everyone over to LTE and onto smartphones. HTC was supposed to give them the 8S, but apparently they are mostly going with non-US markets where the 8X is doing better when sold off carrier. Verizon's people have apparently asked them why they could not have built the 8X with a similar case where it is pretty much unibody but the bottom snaps off for the SIM card and microSD expansion. The low storage and lack of expansion are major reasons why people are not buying the 8X. And HTC did not want to add LTE to the 8S - a deal breaker for VZW.

I think this has a lot to do with why they are cancelling the Droid DNA based larger Zenith device. From what I understand, MS has told HTC they will provide 1080 support if they ask for it. I know Verizon is loving how much MS wants to work with them and the OEMs to really develop what they all want.

So look for a free Samsung WP8 device, if Sammy can ever deliver them to go with the high end ATIV Odyssey.

But it sounds like Verizon will get the 622 (appears VZW will be getting the x22 designations) with LTE support, offered free with contract.

Expect more colors to come to the 822, but the price to return to $99, though they may include a microSD card (8-16GB) with it come spring.

Then expect a quad core Lumia with Pureview, OIS, etc that may end up with a 1080P display. The target date is Easterish. They may call it the Lumia 1022.

So it appears they will have the 622, 822, and 1022. Also there may be a refresh at some point to the 822 to give it an HD screen and that model would be called the 822-HD.

I know for a fact that Verizon is very excited about Nokia. There is some thought that HTC may end up pulling their WP8 support in the US, though Samsung is wanting to expand their WP8 lineup.
    Awesome news, thanks for the updates! Sounds like generally what the word has been from many carriers worldwide; that many of them are disappointed with HTC, and most carriers are very pleased with Nokia. Having America's largest carrier being so pleased with Nokia and adding more Lumias is going to be great. The high end Lumia, once it comes to Verizon is going to do wonders for Nokia sales.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moegumby View Post
    I actually prefer the 8x over the Nokia 920 and 822. Better phone in my opinion all around except for low light camera and a few Nokia apps. And I doubt HTC is going to dump there US support of wp8 EVER! Too much money there.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Not much money in it if you're really committed to Android and just half-assing your WP efforts and support. That's the difference between HTC and Nokia.
    Thanked by:
    Gungzwei likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post

iOS continue a decline and Android continue to stay strong?? The latest numbers show that (in the US) iOS went from 35.8% to 53.3% from last November to this November, while Android dropped form 52.8% to 41.9% in the same time frame. In other nations, the numbers aren't all as dramatic, but most of them show the same directions with a couple exceptions. I do like the climb of Windows Phone from 1.9% to 4.2% in Australia, and from 3.6% to 11.8% in Italy. In the US we're only at 2.7%, up from 2.1%, but we must also keep in mind that this report is based on numbers prior to the launch numbers for Windows Phone 8.
    Latest report shows global Win Phone growth, strong Nokia comeback in the UK | Windows Phone Central
    Except Apple cut their iPhone 5 parts orders and their stock continues to decline.

Kantar's 12 week numbers don't jibe with numbers reported by the OEMs in the prior quarter, so I take them with a grain of salt. The fact that there's plenty of stock all over and no shortage despite massive "popularity" is a warning sign. I wonder if Kantar takes deliveries or sales into account, because the 53.3% could be Apple being overly zealous and way over delivering. Another factor is that these surveys often do not account for Walmart and Amazon sales.

I've worked in the retail industry and have dealt with surveys in the past like Kantar's and know how inaccurate they can be. If an item is selling out then they can be dead on, but retailers and manufacturers will not release sales nor will they release inventory numbers, so it is hard to arrive at any firm numbers. Most businesses will not release sales numbers to any third party at all.

Apple's quarterly earnings report will be the most illuminating. Their iPhone 5 first weekend sales were very unimpressive considering the LTE upgrade
    on the phone. Their stock and outlook has been downgraded by everyone. There is already talk that they are prepping a mid-cycle iPhone because sales of the iPhone 5 are terrible when weighed against expectations. They probably had a huge bump from the first week or two and have fallen off the planet since then. I would suspect that the iPhone 4 may be the best "seller" because it's free with a contract. I do know a lot of people who picked them up and are completely ignorant of the smartphone landscape. They hear "free iPhone" and go nuts, even though it is 3G and pretty crummy compared to the newest tech. A coworker who picked one up (also VZW customer) was so excited until I picked up my 822 and he saw it. And now that it just went free, he's even more disappointed.

I bet the iPhone numbers in the US are a mixture of free iPhone 4 models and too much inventory that Kantar is logging as marketshare. We won't know how many iPhone 5 models are sold because Apple will lump them all together to hide how poorly the 5 is doing.

The iPhone's time is coming close to being up. Android will remain big. I think WP8 is slowly gaining some traction and I think RIM will rebound. iOS could be considered the worst mobile OS by mid-year with Apollo+, Jelly Bean, and BB10 out.

And Apple stock keeps on bleeding - and it's not just the fiscal cliff and taxes. It jumped up slightly on the report and then fell again as people realized the report is not likely accurate (and I've heard plenty of that today due to reports of excess inventory of all iPhones).

Apple has lost over about 27% of its value since mid-September. Google, OTOH, has lost under 10% and has recovered from their biggest sell off. If Apple is so hot, they should be mirroring Google and losing a bit, but not over 1/4 of their value.

Apple is in trouble - at least mild trouble. They are not going out of business or anything, but imagine the kind of tanking that will happen if their year to year sales numbers have only a slight growth or are stagnant. Their stock will tank worse than it has been.

One iffy quarter and Apple will lose half their current market cap. Then the stories will come out about how Apple has lost their mojo and we could expect Tim Cook to be forced out as Apple desperately looks to recover. Of course, they were overvalued from the getgo. I suspect their marketshare will eventually fall into the 10-15% range in tabs and smartphones. They'll be the minor players they were back in the 80s and 90s mainly due to their setup.

I think the same for RIM, really. MS and Google have the best upside because of their greater variety. Even if MS offers their own products, I suspect they can exist with other phones and tabs.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast