Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    The biggest most notorious trolls on the forum are two HTC guys and one Samsung guy.
    But I thought you were a Lumia guy? :D
    aubreyq and Smg-Uk like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Admit it br. Your real name is Paul Thurrot. ;)
    snowmutt and brmiller1976 like this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    DAMN! You sniffed out my IP. ;)

Close. I'm actually Mary Jo Foley.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    Thurrott. Two Ts at the end.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Eeep! You're right. My apologies!

Global Posts
    1,703 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs37 View Post
    To be fair to Paul Thurrot this is listed under the "What I use" posts he does which talks about what he is using at the current moment such as his Ultrabook or tablet etc. it is not meant to be taken as an actual product review it basically is a way for him to explain what device he has chosen to use and why he is using it. I think people saying its a lousy review aren't quite grasping what the concept of this particular column is supposed to be and it shouldn't be called a review even and I think Paul would admit this himself.
    You're spot on. It's an Op-Ed piece, not a review. And really, the guy loves the phone, great. A high visibility journalist pimping WP8.

That's a good thing btw regardless of the phone he likes. The platform just got a pretty shot in the arm from him, so we should be psyched about that.

I apologize for injecting logic/reason into the proceedings, I now return you to your "LUMIA TASTES GREAT!! HTC 8X IS LESS FILLING!!" conversation.....
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....
    Thanked by:
    pjs37 likes this.

is t mobile getting all the colors i really want the 920 but im with tmo for 2 years so i going to get the 8x in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejets89 View Post
    is t mobile getting all the colors i really want the 920 but im with tmo for 2 years so i going to get the 8x in red.
    Black and red are Verizon exclusives. Sorry bud. This exclusive stuff sucks.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejets89 View Post
    Black and red are exclusive to Verizon in the U.S.; I know T-Mobile is getting blue but I don't know if they're getting green.

Edit: independentvolume beat me to it, whoops.
    Quote Originally Posted by fierywater View Post
    Black and red are exclusive to Verizon in the U.S.; I know T-Mobile is getting blue but I don't know if they're getting green.

Edit: independentvolume beat me to it, whoops.
    They are indeed getting the green, which is what I want. Ugh
    Good for Paul!

Now excuse me while I go 'There's the Nokia Lumia 920, and then there's nothing.'
    snowmutt likes this.

Glad he likes his phone.
    snowmutt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    They are indeed getting the green, which is what I want. Ugh
    The 8X comes in green? Do you mean the yellowish/greenish one? I haven't seen a picture of a green one. That'd be a cool color.
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    You're spot on. It's an Op-Ed piece, not a review. And really, the guy loves the phone, great. A high visibility journalist pimping WP8.

That's a good thing btw regardless of the phone he likes. The platform just got a pretty shot in the arm from him, so we should be psyched about that.

I apologize for injecting logic/reason into the proceedings, I now return you to your "LUMIA TASTES GREAT!! HTC 8X IS LESS FILLING!!" conversation.....
    Nearly word for word where I was going, although I do wish I thought of the "Taste great, less filling" line.

By the way ... congrats on those Giants. What a way to get HOT at the right time. As a Cardinal fan, that was tough to type.

Who really cares what WP 8 device he is loyal to? It isn't an iPhone or an Android, and where else is WP 8 getting that kind of love besides here and with Mr. Thurott??

HTC needs the good sales almost as bad as Nokia does. Hope both companies sell 10's of millions of WP 8's and we are still arguing about who has the better WP 9's in a couple of years.
    "Life is hard. But it is harder when you are stupid."
    -John Wayne
    Old_Cus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smg-Uk View Post
    But class leading Screen and a camera that top's the IP5 & Lumia 920 in certain situations along with the best audio out of the current wp8 devices and best FFC is not leading edge?
    They may have the best audio (certainly my Titan is far from perfect in the audio department) but only 16GB of storage space; it's a strange decision and certainly does not contribute to a feeling of leading edge.
    FFC is something I can't get excited about, I only ever use it for Skype not for getting 4 of my mates into a photo when I'm out drinking.
    I'm going to take some persuasion that HTC have upped their game since the Titan and Mozart.
    nizzon likes this.

Whatever floats one's boat.

Most of my life I've listened my music from laptop-esque integrated speakers, as in horrible quality and no bass. I've never used the FFC on my N8. I dont use Skype, dont care for any other video calls either, dont care for taking pictures of myself either :P

Whereas the features of 920 are much more what I need/prefer/want/use. 8X is a great device if the features match your needs!

The yellowish 8x is way to bright

Why are people getting upset who said what the only thing I Care about is beating Android n apple

wp8

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Thurrot also doesn't like the Surface RT. So clearly he's an *****.

Quote Originally Posted by Narr View Post
    They may have the best audio (certainly my Titan is far from perfect in the audio department) but only 16GB of storage space; it's a strange decision and certainly does not contribute to a feeling of leading edge.
    FFC is something I can't get excited about, I only ever use it for Skype not for getting 4 of my mates into a photo when I'm out drinking.
    I'm going to take some persuasion that HTC have upped their game since the Titan and Mozart.

And 32GB does? really only the Ativ S is "leading edge" in that area.

Well having owned 2 HTC & 1 Nokia WP's I didn't notice anything better about the Nokia in fact despite them advertising the "Carl Zeiss" Lens on the camera the quality was just not as good as the Mozart at least.

What really does the 920 have over the 8X that's leading edge?

Wireless charging is a gimmick it takes longer to charge and means if you want to use the phone whilst charging you will have to use it laying flat. Until wireless charging means exactly that as in I could maybe walk around my house with the phone charging wirelessly and it charges just as fast or faster than conventional charging then I don't see why its useful.

The Camera work's fine for low light but its not leading edge when it comes to daytime shots and despite people keep saying it will be fixed with a sw update I wouldn't be so sure the sw update didn't improve the Lumia 800 camera to a acceptable level.

etc etc

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts

Well having owned 2 HTC & 1 Nokia WP's I didn't notice anything better about the Nokia in fact despite them advertising the "Carl Zeiss" Lens on the camera the quality was just not as good as the Mozart at least.

Wireless charging is a gimmick it takes longer to charge and means if you want to use the phone whilst charging you will have to use it laying flat. Until wireless charging means exactly that as in I could maybe walk around my house with the phone charging wirelessly and it charges just as fast or faster than conventional charging then I don't see why its useful.

The Camera work's fine for low light but its not leading edge when it comes to daytime shots and despite people keep saying it will be fixed with a sw update I wouldn't be so sure the sw update didn't improve the Lumia 800 camera to a acceptable level.

etc etc
    I'll be honest.

Next phone I'm getting, in about a year or whatever, will be a Nokia.

Why?

Is it better than all of the other Windows Phones? Probably not.

Why, then?

I feel Nokia should be rewarded for going whole-hog with WP.

Just felt I'd give my two cents.
    Thanked by:
    nizzon, snowmutt, stmav and 1 others like this.

etc etc
    He didnt say Nokia was leading edge with 32gb only that HTC certainly is NOT with a poor 16gb. As a music-freak there is no way Im buying a 16gb device. 32 is at least the double.
    The point is that it is illogical to pimp soundquality and dont give us space to store our music. (Streaming services are for the radio-people who doesnt really care if some albums are missing).

L920 Screen works with gloves. Speaking for myself living in cold scandinavia this is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by goff256 View Post
    I'll be honest.

Next phone I'm getting, in about a year or whatever, will be a Nokia.

Why?

Is it better than all of the other Windows Phones? Probably not.

Why, then?

I feel Nokia should be rewarded for going whole-hog with WP.

Just felt I'd give my two cents.
    Well they don't really have a choice they are up sh*t creek without a paddle.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Well they don't really have a choice they are up sh*t creek without a paddle.
    Plus, they haven't gone "all in" with WP, either. They actually sell more Symbian and S40 handsets than Windows Phones. The proportion of total WP sales to overall smartphone sales for Nokia in 2012 will be lower than HTC's.

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Plus, they haven't gone "all in" with WP, either. They actually sell more Symbian and S40 handsets than Windows Phones. The proportion of total WP sales to overall smartphone sales for Nokia in 2012 will be lower than HTC's.
    I thought they were in a transition?

If they're not going all-in, I might have to look into a different company (barring Nokia Drive being Nokia-only, I forget if it will be).

I'm guessing the 8X doesn't have the oh-so-wonderful microphone problem that the original Titan had where everyone said I sounded like I was in a tunnel.
    snowmutt likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast