Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    It is the nations #1 network. I would rather have a trophy on Verizon than a 920 on at&t.
    aventador779 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    The ATIV is the i920 and that Verizon device is the i930 so it had to be a WP8 device, right? If 4.65" screen is mid range, what is the 4.5" Nokia 920 and 4.3" 8X? :)
    The i920, from what I've found, is the old Samsung Omnia II. The i910 is the Omnia. Both old Windows Mobile devices.

There also are SGH designations, but it appears that the second letter indicates if the phone is CDMA or GSM. My guess is the designation means Samsung GSM or CDMA Handheld.

The i937 with the SGH designation is the Focus S.

I do not think this is the Odyssey. I think it is a low end Samsung phone for the prepaid accounts, probably based on the Focus S. I'd guess it will have a lower end Qualcomm processor. I know a low end Samsung with a smaller screen is coming. Honestabebread has said the same.

But I'm pretty certain this filing is not for the Odyssey.

Well, if this isn't the odyssey, that's good news. Although I'm getting concerned that the odyssey won't make it in time for the holidays. I waited and waited for the thunderbolt only to be disappointed. I don't want a repeat.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Right now I really badly need a new phone as I still have the First Motorola Droid and I have been eligible for an upgrade for a year and a half.

I don't know how long I can hold for with this phone on its last leg, I waiting for the Ativ Odyssey. If it's anything like the Ativ S then its the phone I want or else Im going with the 8X

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Mr. MacPhisto, I hope you're right. I'm still probably going for the 8X, but a Verizon Ativ S (essentially) could give me pause.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    it is the nations #1 network. I would rather have a trophy on verizon than a 920 on at&t.
    :o

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fierywater View Post
    I think Ubergizmo was going off past rumors when they cited the 4.65" screen. WMPowerUser says it too, but we all know they're not the most reliable source of information for...just about anything.

Which document had the measurements of the body? We could compare them to the Ativ S and see if they match.

Edit: Found them. It's 119.5 mm x 61.55 mm (thickness isn't listed). The Ativ S is 137 mm x 70 mm. Therefore, this device is definitely smaller. I'm also pretty sure that it's a Windows Phone device, given the SCH-I930 model number (SCH-IXXX model numbers have historically been Windows Phone/Windows Mobile devices).

For comparison, the Galaxy S II was 125.3 mm x 63.1 mm, so the SCH-I930 is even smaller than that. It's also significantly smaller than the Galaxy Nexus (135.5 mm x 67.9 mm). The Galaxy S III mini is 121.6 mm x 63 mm, which is the closest to this one.

I'm thinking it's a midrange 4.0" device, or essentially a WP8 Galaxy S III mini. Sorry guys.
    Something doesn't make sense. I don't where I read this or maybe its from this forum, but apparently the reason the Odyssey is being released in December is because Samsung didn't want it to interfere with their Note II release. Why would Samsung be concerned so much with a midrange 4.0" device interfering with their premium quad core 5.0+ inch phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    Something doesn't make sense. I don't where I read this or maybe its from this forum, but apparently the reason the Odyssey is being released in December is because Samsung didn't want it to interfere with their Note II release. Why would Samsung be concerned so much with a midrange 4.0" device interfering with their premium quad core 5.0+ inch phone?
    Because this isn't actually the Odyssey?

Verizon is supposed to be getting two Samsung WP8 devices. A low end device that will cater primarily to prepaid customers, though they may still offer it as a free or dirt cheap device on a two year contract. The Odyssey is supposed to be on the higher end.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Fingers crossed then, because Im waiting for it. Uggh wish a leak of the specs would come out already. From Daniel Rubino's article that I read a week or two back, even he suggested the Odyssey will be a low end phone. Who knows at this point, lets hope for a high end

The Apple/Samsung trial leaked the screen size of this phone as 4.65" in the Samsung court documents. That is where everyone is getting the 4.65" from, so unless something has changed since then odds are it will be 4.65".

I also personally think that the Odyssey will look significantly different than the ATIV S. My reasoning is that Microsoft did not show a picture of the ATIV S when they were showing the Verizon ATIV Odyssey phone, just a hand drawn placeholder photo. If this phone was to look identical to the ATIV S, I would think they'd just show a pic of the ATIV S. I am interested to see the end product, hopefully Samsung will make something that stands out in a good way without looking cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    The Apple/Samsung trial leaked the screen size of this phone as 4.65" in the Samsung court documents. That is where everyone is getting the 4.65" from, so unless something has changed since then odds are it will be 4.65".

I also personally think that the Odyssey will look significantly different than the ATIV S. My reasoning is that Microsoft did not show a picture of the ATIV S when they were showing the Verizon ATIV Odyssey phone, just a hand drawn placeholder photo. If this phone was to look identical to the ATIV S, I would think they'd just show a pic of the ATIV S. I am interested to see the end product, hopefully Samsung will make something that stands out in a good way without looking cheap.
    That's why I don't think this is the Odyssey. The measurements are too small for a screen of that size.

Global Posts
    2,361 Global Posts
    My official guess is that the odyssey is the Note (II?) with Windows Phone 8

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Just really really hope that the Odyssey is a high-end phone. For now I'm still upgrading from my Galaxy Nexus to the 8X, but the 8X lacks storage (only 16GB), it has a much smaller screen, and a smaller battery than other WP8 devices. That is what's bringing me down hard.

I might even just get the Note II, just because the hardware doesn't cut it for me on the 8X. But I would love to make the switch to WP.

I love WP that note 2 is pretty cool

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Yup. WMPowerUser is claiming that the Odyssey is a 4.65" device, but look at it. It's definitely 4 inch. IF it isn't, then that is a GIANT Verizon logo!

Also the thickness of it. And how it looks like a baby ATIV S.

Glad I made the switch on Sunday. That is pathetic.

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    Why to never pin your hopes on Samsung.
    Getintothegame likes this.

So I had a very interesting conversation with an online rep from verizon. Aside from pointing out all the mistakes they made on the 822 and the 8x specs on their website, I asked her about the Samsung. She had no info. So then I asked what the return policy was. And I quote
    J. : Hmm. How long after I receive the phone do I have to return it if I am unhappy with it?
    Jacqueline: You have 14 days to return the phone.
    J. : Is it a full refund? Would I get my new every two credit back?
    Jacqueline: Yes you would get everything back.
    J. : Is it returnable to the store, or is it shipped back?
    Jacqueline: Either way.

Note, no restocking fee and I get my new every two back. Now I've been lied to by the online reps many a time, so I get everything in writing now.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    For the love of all that's good an holy!

Verizon is doing everything in its power to get me to switch. The ONLY reason I am still on Verizon is because that's the only carrier that gets a signal at my house. Now, however, I will seriously consider putting in an ATT Microcell in my home to remove Verizon's only advantage.

If it turns out that this turd of a phone (the leaked picture) is actually what Verizon will be releasing in December as the Samsung WP 8 device....then I'm gone. I can't take it any more.

My wife and I are living with Blackberry Storm 2 phones for cripe's sake! we've been going off countract for several months now...waiting PATIENTLY for the so-called "big WP8 support push from Verizon."

big push my arse!! All I see them pushing (advertising) is still the Android devices. Aren't they having another big event this week for some droid phone? I don't believe verizon had any kind of WP8 event or launch. They have ONE "decent" phone in the ir launch line up...the HTC 8X. But it's overpriced by at least $50.

We stopped in an ATT store this weekend. If the Lumia 920 was on Verizon, my widfe and I would have new phones today. If the verizon Odyssey is a true high end (4.5" plus screen, Galaxy SIII type phone), we will probably pick that up. If the Samsung phone that verizon releases is a 4" device and as ****-ugly as the leaked pic?!

I will have no other choice than to think that Verizon is pruposely trying to sabotage Windows Phone 8. There can be no other logical explanation.

Oh yeah...I could always wait unti the "quad core" phone show up "by easter". Right....as if I have any confidence that their quad core line-up would be any less farked up than this pathetic launch line-up.

WAKE THE FARK UP, VERIZON!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdefuria View Post
    For the love of all that's good an holy!

Verizon is doing everything in its power to get me to switch. The ONLY reason I am still on Verizon is because that's the only carrier that gets a signal at my house. Now, however, I will seriously consider putting in an ATT Microcell in my home to remove Verizon's only advantage.

If it turns out that this turd of a phone (the leaked picture) is actually what Verizon will be releasing in December as the Samsung WP 8 device....then I'm gone. I can't take it any more.

My wife and I are living with Blackberry Storm 2 phones for cripe's sake! we've been going off countract for several months now...waiting PATIENTLY for the so-called "big WP8 support push from Verizon."

big push my arse!! All I see them pushing (advertising) is still the Android devices. Aren't they having another big event this week for some droid phone? I don't believe verizon had any kind of WP8 event or launch. They have ONE "decent" phone in the ir launch line up...the HTC 8X. But it's overpriced by at least $50.

We stopped in an ATT store this weekend. If the Lumia 920 was on Verizon, my widfe and I would have new phones today. If the verizon Odyssey is a true high end (4.5" plus screen, Galaxy SIII type phone), we will probably pick that up. If the Samsung phone that verizon releases is a 4" device and as ****-ugly as the leaked pic?!

I will have no other choice than to think that Verizon is pruposely trying to sabotage Windows Phone 8. There can be no other logical explanation.

Oh yeah...I could always wait unti the "quad core" phone show up "by easter". Right....as if I have any confidence that their quad core line-up would be any less farked up than this pathetic launch line-up.

WAKE THE FARK UP, VERIZON!
    One decent phone? Have you looked at the 822's specs? That's a pretty decent phone.

AT&T usually does get the better phones to start. Said it many times, Verizon is about the network, not about the phones as much. They don't want to subsidize them like AT&T does because they want to invest that money in improving their network instead.

The $99 Lumia 920 reveals all that is wrong with AT&T and also shows why Verizon doesn't get a phone like the 920 to start - because they would want to charge at least $199 for it. Manufacturers like heavily subsidized phones because they move faster, but the carriers end up paying a lot up front for them.

Verizon's philosophy is why their network is way ahead of every one else's. They are less than a year from full LTE roll out and about a year or so out from ramping up their LTE speeds.

If that is the real Verizon ATIV Odyssey, no new phone for me in 2012.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    Because this isn't actually the Odyssey?

Verizon is supposed to be getting two Samsung WP8 devices. A low end device that will cater primarily to prepaid customers, though they may still offer it as a free or dirt cheap device on a two year contract. The Odyssey is supposed to be on the higher end.
    Can I ask where it has ever been revealed or hinted that the "Odyssey" is suppossed to be on the higher end?

All I can ever remember being officially stated is that the Odyssey is due in December. No specs, nothing. For that metter, no official word or hint of 2 Samsung devices being available either. Just one device. Odyssey.

I hope you are correct in that Samsung will have two devices (one for low end and one for high end.) However, with the leaks now starting to surfacing combined with Verizon's track record, I have to believe one of two things is going to happen:

1) Odyssey is s low or mid-range 4" phone, exactly as pictured in the leaked pics. It will be released in december with little to no fan-fare. Just like the rest of Verizon's WP8 line-up. There will be no high-end Samsung device launched.

2) Same as 1, but a true high-end will come some time "next year."

Personally, I'm putting my stock in option 1.:@

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    One decent phone? Have you looked at the 822's specs? That's a pretty decent phone.
    Yes. Once decent phone. 822's stying is complete and utter boring crap based on the pics I've seen. Especially for the price verizon wants for it. Why couldn't they just stick with the STANDARD 820 design!? It's like verizon is purposely trying to fark up its line-up!!!

AT&T usually does get the better phones to start.
    When it comes to Windows phones...let me rephrase this for you: "AT&T always has the better phones. Period. Verizon doesn't get them. Not just doesn't get them "to start". Doesn't get them. Ever."

Said it many times, Verizon is about the network, not about the phones as much.
    Ya think? Has verizon considered that the customer experience is a combination of BOTH network AND phones?

The $99 Lumia 920 reveals all that is wrong with AT&T...
    Though it just so happens that all that is "wrong" with AT&T is what is going to get me to switch. Me and my other two family members.

and also shows why Verizon doesn't get a phone like the 920 to start - because they would want to charge at least $199 for it. Manufacturers like heavily subsidized phones because they move faster, but the carriers end up paying a lot up front for them.
    That's all well and good. But then this philosophy does NOT MESH with your insistence that Verizon is doing some big WP8 push. I believe you have said that Verizon want to wean off of Android to an extent because that ecosystem is relatively expensive to carry / maintain? Well then they NEED TO PUSH WP8 DEVICES at least at the beginning to start to move consumers. I see exactly ZERO evidence that this is happening.

Verizon's philosophy is why their network is way ahead of every one else's. They are less than a year from full LTE roll out and about a year or so out from ramping up their LTE speeds.

That's great...though me and my family are less than 2 months away from switching to AT&T because your WP8 line-up is CRAP.
    Last edited by jdefuria; 11-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    benzie and Ocelott like this.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Well then looks like the 8x for me
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast