Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TenTwelve
  • 1 Post By CheukMe2u

Because of the curved/rounded glass screens on the Lumia 920, HTC 8X, etc, do screen protectors work on these devices? Are they available?

I know Gorilla Glass 2 is fairly resilient, but my experience is that they are still prone to scratching.

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    No need really. But I am sure there will be screen protectors you can try to get on without wrinkles and bubbles. The screen protector will scratch easier than the glass. I know that is the point, but it still detracts from the quality of the screen.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    I hate screen protectors. I have never put one on my iPhone 4 and there's still not a single scratch on the front. The back however is a different story. As long as you are careful you shouldn't have scratches on gorilla glass.

My palm centro had this built in screen protector. It was a rubbery layer and I never got a single scratch on that thing. I wish all resistive screens had it.

I've had a Samsung Focus for 2 years now. I had a screen protector on it for the first month or two, but it made the screen image look horrible and eventually started wearing off. I removed it and never looked back. In the 1 year and 10 months since, I've only received 1 tiny scratch on the top left of the screen, which isn't visible when the screen is on, nor is it easily visible with the screen off (you have to look at it from point blank distance to see it).

The back of the phone has always had something on it. Not a cover, just a decal (but it still prevented some scratches, nothing noticeable).

When I get my lumia 920 I'll never put anything on it. It's one of the nice things about modern smartphones, at least windows phones. No need to buy a cover to protect it or to change the color to what you want (*cough* iPhone *cough*), which helps keep the phone light and thin.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    No need really. But I am sure there will be screen protectors you can try to get on without wrinkles and bubbles. The screen protector will scratch easier than the glass. I know that is the point, but it still detracts from the quality of the screen.
    ^truth... They'e so pointless these days.
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    The only screen protector I will use is the iVisor by MoshiMonde, its a screen protector you can put on and off again, no bubbles and its washable, I have it on my Lumia 900 and I bet it will be available to all the WP8 phones as well.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Screen Protectors are awesome, what are you guys on about? and I'm not only saying it because I make a living installing them... well maybe I'm a little biased.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Screen protectors are the equivalent of the "paint protection" packages that car dealers offer. Useless but extra margin for the dealer.

Any modern Gorilla Glass screen is essentially unscratchable.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Screen protectors are the equivalent of the "paint protection" packages that car dealers offer. Useless but extra margin for the dealer.

Any modern Gorilla Glass screen is essentially unscratchable.

I like screen protectors since they prevent fingerprint marks. I have a matte screen protector. It's not something I use to prevent scratches; I use it so I don't have to keep wiping my screen.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Oleophobic screens work just as well (or better).

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    My MyTouch 4g does not use Gorilla Glass and I am amazed that to this day I have 0 scratches on it. The same goes to my brother and sister's MT4G. Very resilient glass, but you just have to be smart with it. My philosophy is to always put it in an empty pocket, while keys and wallet go into my other pocket.

I've dropped it several times too, and surprisingly...no cracking.

So with that being said, I am not gonna be getting any screen protectors for whatever phone I get.
    Oleophobic screens work just as well (or better).
    I don't know how the 920 will be. The 900 is a fingerprint magnet. :(

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I believe 920 is oleophobic. 900 wasn't.

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    I purchased my Lumia 900 only 45 days back and last week I was under depression when i saw a very small line on the glass and few lines on the back side (as if someone used toothbrush on it). When I showed to vendor he said it happens when it is kept in denim pocket. I had to purchase a mediocre matt screen guard and a case so that it remains protected inside the pocket. I always take EXTRA care for my handset, never keep any car key or coins inside the pocket where my handset is, still it hurts me when is see those minor lines.
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    The 900's QA was not so great, in my experience.
    Thanked by:
    I've had no complaints about the build quality. The screen protector is not a big deal, since I'm using a case anyway.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    I purchased my Lumia 900 only 45 days back and last week I was under depression when i saw a very small line on the glass and few lines on the back side (as if someone used toothbrush on it). When I showed to vendor he said it happens when it is kept in denim pocket. I had to purchase a mediocre matt screen guard and a case so that it remains protected inside the pocket. I always take EXTRA care for my handset, never keep any car key or coins inside the pocket where my handset is, still it hurts me when is see those minor lines.
    I carry mine in a holster. It is also kept in an Otterbox Commuter case.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Test
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Nokia 6188 - AudioVox PPC6600 - HTC 8125 - Lg eXpo GW820 - Lumia 710 - Bring On WP8!

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    What is QA? Doesn't Lumia 900 have a gorilla glass 2? What I see is it doesn't look like a scratch but a very thin lines that can only be viewed when the glass is viewed in light reflection. But the thing that hurts me the most is, mine is white glossy lumia. So I don't know if it is because of glossy nature or something else on the back side there are few lines as if someone used razor blade on it. Even on the camera surface there are lines despite the fact that I always handle my Lumia 900 with extra care
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    Sorry, its plastic. It will get small scratches in it. My iphone 3g was destroyed on the back because of a case. Lets in little particles of dust. After about 1.5 years I finally stopped using the case and noticed all the scratches that it had on the back. So a case could be worse than nothing at all.

I doubt L900 has GG2. Probably the original GG. That said, should still not get fine scratches in it. iPhone 4 had the olephobic coating and that stuff keeps finger printing down, but is also very easy to get those fine scratches in. My first Titan was in my pocket without a protector for 8 months without a single scratch of any kind. No fine scratches, no nicks. It is not treated with kid gloves either. I paid a penny for it, so never cared about it.

You must have some very rough jeans. Sorry for your bad luck.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    My Optimuses(plurar...) both got scracth after I took out the screen protector that came with them. Really bad choice in my part.

To respond on the curved glass: I'm typing to you on my Lumia 920 right now (RED) and it's awesome. Even though it's gorilla glass II, scratches are still possible, trust me. It happened while I was walking around a department store and I accidently dropped my phone. It fell on the face (slight fall) and when I picked it up and wiped off the glass, there were two slight scratches on the upper right area. I was slightly annoyed just because of the confidence I had in gorilla glass; nonetheless, I grabbed a cover combo from the MS store in the ATL mall and threw on this screen protector until I wait for my "armor" protection. It lays on the screen just fine, wiping away the bubbles afterwards with no problem; however, just like you'd expect on the curved part, it won't stick right. I'll let you know how the armor screen lays on it when I get that installed next week. The only other curved glass was the 800, but everyone that I knew that owned that phone never needed to use a screen protector. This cover right now is only a temporary thing, so I don't mind it not sticking on the curved part right now. Others may not feel the same way.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon 6 View Post
    To respond on the curved glass: I'm typing to you on my Lumia 920 right now (RED) and it's awesome. Even though it's gorilla glass II, scratches are still possible, trust me. It happened while I was walking around a department store and I accidently dropped my phone. It fell on the face (slight fall) and when I picked it up and wiped off the glass, there were two slight scratches on the upper right area. I was slightly annoyed just because of the confidence I had in gorilla glass; nonetheless, I grabbed a cover combo from the MS store in the ATL mall and threw on this screen protector until I wait for my "armor" protection. It lays on the screen just fine, wiping away the bubbles afterwards with no problem; however, just like you'd expect on the curved part, it won't stick right. I'll let you know how the armor screen lays on it when I get that installed next week. The only other curved glass was the 800, but everyone that I knew that owned that phone never needed to use a screen protector. This cover right now is only a temporary thing, so I don't mind it not sticking on the curved part right now. Others may not feel the same way.
    Thanks for your response. Honestly, I have no idea why everyone here is boasting about the glass. Yes it will hold up well and I feel confident about flinging my keys at it but it will undoubtedly get scratches none the less. There are videos showing the screen failing to scratch from keys and knives, but the glass cannot withstand an impact + scratch at times. Mine already has a hairline of a scratch.

Either way, I'm into anti-glare screen protectors. I am still really hard on debating if the sides will stick. I might just get a roller and curve the edges of the screen protector some how. I bought 10 off this one seller on ebay for $4. Hope it goes well. T_T"
    Decepticon 6 likes this.

I received the Ghost Armor protector about a month ago. It works great. The first issue that I had with Ghost Armor was that the protector was not in "high demand" for the Lumia 920; therefore, the Ghost Armor kiosk in the Augusta, GA mall had to order it, which took much longer than I had expected. Ensure they don't try to tell you that they can just use the Lumia 900 version, because that is a totally different design, especially where certain parts are on the phone. Ghost Armor sticks on really well on both the back part as well as the screen. The protector on the screen stops slightly before the curved portion of the screen, so that prevents it from lifting up and off of the screen. Be aware that using a phone case in conjunction with this protector may cause the protector to eventually peel off. I recommend using a pouch instead. Send me a message if you need more details or if this post didn't make any sense.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I have ArmorSuit MilitaryShield protector and it's the best I've ever had. I like their quality and how it protects my device from scratches. Easy installation and happy outcome.