Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

T-Mo's coverage sucks in a lot of areas.

Verizon & AT&T have the widest and fastest networks. They cost more, yes. But it really shouldn't "amaze" you that people are willing to pay more for greater and faster coverage.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I guess if someone lives far out away from any major city, I could understand the need for a CDMA device with Verizon.

But if you live within 80 miles of a mid-sized city, you'll get faster speeds at a lower cost with T-Mo -- an average of about 15 Mb/second with an HSPA+28 device. 'Tis a fact.

I just don't understand why anybody would buy a $150+/month plan that uses up all its monthly data after just four or five Netflix movies.

AT&T is now even starting to block Facetime and other apps that it doesn't want you running on your network, even if it is within your tiny block of capped data. Outrageous!

The whole point of wireless data is to be able to use it when and where you want! If you need "local storage" because your network imposes draconian caps and restrictions, it doesn't matter that you can get a "strong signal" in the middle of the high desert.

After reading discussions like these, I'm glad that I don't have to deal with US carriers. In the small and quiet Finland I pay 9$ for my unlimited HSPA speeds.

EDIT. The 9$ is only from the data, I pay separately from my calls and texts.
    Last edited by Gaichuke; 10-25-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    That's a pretty good deal, Gaichuke!

Incidentally, LTE often underperforms HSPA+. Here's a great example -- a T-Mobile Galaxy S III on HSPA+ consistently outperforming an LTE GS III on AT&T in download speed by a wide margin:

Note that the GS III service plan on AT&T with unlimited calls and messaging, and only 3 GB of data, costs about $100 a month, versus $60 a month on T-Mobile with unlimited data.

It really amazes me that someone would purchase a modern high-speed 4G device and then tether it to a network that rations data to such low levels. For all the complaining about a 16 GB network, it would take the average AT&T or Verizon customer a full six months of downloads until hitting their cap to fill a 16 GB device!

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaethos View Post
    Actually, flash memory is super cheap right now. Going from a 16GB module to a 32GB module probably doesn't cost them more than $10, if that.
    10 dollars!!! that made not sound expensive individually but that stuff adds up.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Just curious. How many people watch four to five netflix movies a month on their phone? I use the xbox or laptop, so this is a serious question.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Just curious. How many people watch four to five netflix movies a month on their phone? I use the xbox or laptop, so this is a serious question.
    I would if I could :(.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    I do more than that, especially if I am doing a lot of commuting by train.

That's the whole idea of a smartphone! Data rich applications.

If I only needed IM, email and texting, I would just have an LG Rumor.

I suspect the reason that most people don't use their phones to their capability is... Data caps. Don't want to exceed that restriction, so a lot of very powerful applications simply never get used at all. It is antithetical to the whole idea of 4G, which is supposed to be a fast massive pipe for data needs... Saying "you can fill your monthly thimble full of data really fast" utterly defeats the purpose.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    I work from home, so no commute, but I definitely see that aspect. My line of thought was more why watch a movie on a small screen when I can watch it on larger. But if I was stuck on a bus or train a lot each day, I would be looking for ways to entertain myself.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I also edit a lot of documents on the go. Those 30 meg email attachments and Skydrive files add up!

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Isn't the best reason for greater onboard storage to be games? I mean, games will get bigger; heck some android games are taking up more than 2gig right? So with WP8 and the kind of games we'll see on this platform having a connection with XBox compatibility??? One could possibly fill up their phone quite fast with Games and then you have to start deleting, because you cannot install a game on the cloud and then access it from the phone can you?

And how expensive IS storage nowadays?

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I guess if someone lives far out away from any major city, I could understand the need for a CDMA device with Verizon.

But if you live within 80 miles of a mid-sized city, you'll get faster speeds at a lower cost with T-Mo -- an average of about 15 Mb/second with an HSPA+28 device. 'Tis a fact.

I just don't understand why anybody would buy a $150+/month plan that uses up all its monthly data after just four or five Netflix movies.

AT&T is now even starting to block Facetime and other apps that it doesn't want you running on your network, even if it is within your tiny block of capped data. Outrageous!

The whole point of wireless data is to be able to use it when and where you want! If you need "local storage" because your network imposes draconian caps and restrictions, it doesn't matter that you can get a "strong signal" in the middle of the high desert.
    Once you go north of Grand Rapids, Michigan, T-Mobile phones are bricks. I had some killer paychecks when I was a Verizon sales rep converting people over from T-Mobile because they moved to Northern Michigan and VZW is the only thing worth a damn up there.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Yeah, in the hinterlands, you pay 4x as much for *everything.*

My parents live on the edge fringe suburbs of a major eastern city, and they pay $150 a month for standard definition conventional cable plus 1 mb/second "high speed internet" from Comcast. Eeep!

How much of the available 16 GB (on the 8X) should we expect the WP 8 OS to take up? To me, that is a big issue...

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I reckon 10-12 GB available after the OS and formatting.

10-12 GB means that the OS, etc is ridiculously HUGE. iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 left me with 13.7 (out of 16 GB)...why would WP8 be that much larger?

Global Posts
    1,383 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strokee View Post
    10-12 GB means that the OS, etc is ridiculously HUGE. iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 left me with 13.7 (out of 16 GB)...why would WP8 be that much larger?
    Not all phone storage is born equal | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Formatting, preloaded apps and other weirdness makes 12GB an absolute possibility. The Focus S and Lumia 800 have more available storage than your iPhone, the Titan has almost a full GB less.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis-X View Post
    Isn't the best reason for greater onboard storage to be games? I mean, games will get bigger; heck some android games are taking up more than 2gig right? So with WP8 and the kind of games we'll see on this platform having a connection with XBox compatibility??? One could possibly fill up their phone quite fast with Games and then you have to start deleting, because you cannot install a game on the cloud and then access it from the phone can you?
    Games and media. I currently trim my games and music collection paper-thin for my phone, I don't keep any videos or podcasts on it once I'm done with them and I have Zune set up to sync across the camera roll and immediately delete all the captures from my phone. With 32GB, I'll have way more breathing room with games and music, and I might be able to keep a few favourite podcast issues on (maybe even watch some video podcasts) or even a movie.
    Villain likes this.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    I'm sure AT&T demanded the gimped 8X because they didn't want it to demolish 920 sales.

One look at the thin, svelte, sexy 8X next to the fat, brick-like Lumia 920, and there'd be no comparison... users would choose the 8X overwhelmingly and AT&T likely has to sell a lot of 920s to make back their exclusivity deal. If they could break the legs of the best Windows Phone device for everyday people right out of the gate by trimming storage to laughable levels, it makes the contest less of a challenge for Nokia.
    What the **** does AT&T have to do with anything?

Thanks for the link, AngryNil...I honestly had no idea that different devices running the same OS could vary so drastically in regards to actual available memory.

Hopefully the 8X is closer to 14 GB than 12 GB.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aventador779 View Post
    What the **** does AT&T have to do with anything?
    ****ing AT&T carries the ****ing HTC ****ing 8X, so that has a lot to ****ing do with it. Now excuse me while I **** the ****. :D

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    ****ing AT&T carries the ****ing HTC ****ing 8X, so that has a lot to ****ing do with it. Now excuse me while I **** the ****. :D
    Verizon is carrying it also. :P
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    The funny thing about this post is that with the ridiculous censoring on this forum, the message might not even be that offensive.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I put the ****s in myself. ;)

The other benefit of unlimited 4G is that, even for games, streaming can enable new capabilities. With technology like OnLive, one can play high quality games from his fast 4G device regardless of OS, simply and cleanly over a high speed network. No storage required.

But it is only economical on a non-capped data plan...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    The funny thing about this post is that with the ridiculous censoring on this forum, the message might not even be that offensive.
    Yup. You can't even say hll... What, are we ****ing 5?!
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    Your post reminded me of the chick with glasses in Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Lol
    brmiller1976 likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast