Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooperma View Post
    I thought that VZW was going to push wp8 as hard as droid right?
    Its going to get a massive marketing blitz but its not going to be pushed over top of any other brand
    How many GB is the 822 and does it have a card slot?

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post

Something i did notice is that the theme colors were different between the two phones. The Nokia had more than the 8X and they were much different. The 8X I had was the indigo. The 822 was white.
    Can u talk more about this? How many more colors than htc 5,10 or 15 more as shallow as it is this would make me switch Oem as everything else that's important to me is a wash (cept the sd card thingy)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooperma View Post
    I thought that VZW was going to push wp8 as hard as droid right?
    Verizon doesn't work that way on the consumer level in store. They will do marketing for it and you should see more WP8 promotion this year than Droid. The marketing will likely cause more people to ask about and desire WP8 devices, so Verizon employees will figure out the needs of the customer and recommend either the 8X or 822 based on budget and features. For instance, if someone says music is important to them then expect the 8X to get a push - and probably get a push over most any phone in their lineup when the beats amp and availability of Xbox music and other features are factored in.

They are going to make a push for larger corporate contracts to move over, especially for those still using Blackberry.

But there is hope that the greater awareness through marketing and word of mouth will cause the platform to grow substantially and lessen the impact Android has on their bottom line while also lessening Apple's power.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    8X is Godly. Like, holy ****. Most premium feeling phone I've ever held. Snappy, fast, and GORGEOUS screen. Camera was good enough for what most people will do.

822 is okay. Looks and feels a lot like the Samsung Droid Charge. Screen looks fantastic for having a low resolution. Very thick and plasticy.

I am in love with the 8X though. Will be ordering on launch day.

VZ Navigator, My Verizon Mobile, Back Up Assistant, and NFL Mobile come preinstalled but are unstallable.
    this is a very promising development about the 8x. I have been (and still am) disappointed that there's not really any solid proof of a 9xx Lumia variant coming to VZW, mainly because i am sold on the PureView camera and I love the idea of City Lens, but...if it turns out that the 8X can produce photos that are anywhere CLOSE to what the 920 takes, i will be just fine with the 8X.

only problem is, i'll have half the storage of the 920 with which to store them...but...i can just remove them regularly, i suppose. :)

any of this is, of course, contingent on me being able to convince my wife that i actually need to upgrade my phone.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    Verizon doesn't work that way on the consumer level in store. They will do marketing for it and you should see more WP8 promotion this year than Droid. The marketing will likely cause more people to ask about and desire WP8 devices, so Verizon employees will figure out the needs of the customer and recommend either the 8X or 822 based on budget and features. For instance, if someone says music is important to them then expect the 8X to get a push - and probably get a push over most any phone in their lineup when the beats amp and availability of Xbox music and other features are factored in.

They are going to make a push for larger corporate contracts to move over, especially for those still using Blackberry.

But there is hope that the greater awareness through marketing and word of mouth will cause the platform to grow substantially and lessen the impact Android has on their bottom line while also lessening Apple's power.
    So basically they are in it to combat apple and android's power. And get some corporate business. The consumer should not expect too much and more than likely get one phone pushed at them. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan.kruger View Post
    That's what I like to hear. I just wish the HTC had City Lens... I'm glad to hear this thing is nice, depending on what happens the 29th, the 8x has my vote.
    Do we really need city lens when we've got local scout? I think city lens is cool too but it pretty much relays the same info albeit in a very modern and cool way.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    Can u talk more about this? How many more colors than htc 5,10 or 15 more as shallow as it is this would make me switch Oem as everything else that's important to me is a wash (cept the sd card thingy)
    The Nokia had the WP7 colors and then some really Earth tone ones. They were all pretty ugly IMO. There was probably like 21 colors. The 8X had about 16 colors and they were all various "girly" colors to match the indigo phone. I preferred the dark theme with the indigo tiles and indigo phone. Just looked so clean and nice. The blacks are really deep on the HTC.

And the 822 was 8GB with a card slot. The battery is removable but the battery door is inductive. I mean its literally the Droid Charge running WP8.

Does the 8x include the default microsoft colors, plus a couple others?
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    So basically they are in it to combat apple and android's power. And get some corporate business. The consumer should not expect too much and more than likely get one phone pushed at them. Nice.
    What phone does Verizon push besides their Motorola's?

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    8X has the default colors as well.

Another thing about the 822 is that the physical keys on the side feel cheap as ****. This is most definitely a budget phone and the wireless charging/Nokia apps are the only thing going for it.

Also, to everyone who is upset VZW isnt getting the 920, go to the store and check out the 8X. PREMIUM
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Verizon is about leverage. They like WP8 because it gives them more leverage with Apple. Android is not a power issue, but a money issue. There's a lot more cost to support Android than iPhone or, likely, WP8.

Verizon's preference would be to see Android and WP8 at about equal marketshare and iPhone eliminated from the market entirely. That's not realistic, just what they'd like to see. Apparently AT&T and T-Mobile feel the same, for entirely different reasons. The carriers severely dislike Apple. If the iPhone ever sees significant drop in marketshare, look for carriers to stop selling them or allowing new iPhones on their networks. I'm serious on this.

It's another reason why VZW is interested in BB10. They'd be ecstatic if BB10 recovered RIM, Android continued to do well, WP8 grows substantially, and iPhone ends up in fourth place in 3-4 years. As I said, not expected, but they'd love it. They hate Apple. And apparently they are not alone in the cell industry. I think it's only a matter of time before the carriers feel able to make demands of Apple and, if Apple does not comply and allow iPhone to be treated just like any other phone then they'll get dropped. Apple is in a position of strength right now, but the Galaxy S3 showed it is possible to beat them head to head. Verizon wants to see more of that.
    ProfessorTripp likes this.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Ok Honestabebread you're starting to win me over I just still on the edge. So I'm just wondering what you think makes the 8x so good?

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by db4williams View Post
    Do we really need city lens when we've got local scout? I think city lens is cool too but it pretty much relays the same info albeit in a very modern and cool way.
    You'll have to forgive my newbness - but I'm just switching off four years of iOS for the WP8 - I've been going crazy the last three weeks about it.

I wasn't aware of this other app, but I'm going to take a look at it. Are Nokia Maps available to download on the 8x? I've heard lots of good stuff about the maps.

Overall, I would have to say since Verizon isn't getting anything 9xx related (from what we've heard so far), after all the research I've done, the 8x does not sound like an inferior device. I was afraid about storage, and realize that Xbox music is going to take care of a lot of my needs, and SkyDrive is far superior to iCloud in nearly every way.

The positive views of the forum members here have calmed me down a bit, and helped me be okay with my somewhat pigeon-holed selection of flagship devices on Big Red.

Tell us mooooaaaaarrrrr!

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I've also played with the HTC 8X courtesy of a HTC Rep stopping by our Best Buy. It is indeed a very nice phone, feels nice in the hand, and very pocket friendly. Camera indeed takes quick pics, and I might just get it if the Lumia 920's camera fails to live up to expectations.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    Verizon is about leverage. They like WP8 because it gives them more leverage with Apple. Android is not a power issue, but a money issue. There's a lot more cost to support Android than iPhone or, likely, WP8.

Verizon's preference would be to see Android and WP8 at about equal marketshare and iPhone eliminated from the market entirely. That's not realistic, just what they'd like to see. Apparently AT&T and T-Mobile feel the same, for entirely different reasons. The carriers severely dislike Apple. If the iPhone ever sees significant drop in marketshare, look for carriers to stop selling them or allowing new iPhones on their networks. I'm serious on this.

It's another reason why VZW is interested in BB10. They'd be ecstatic if BB10 recovered RIM, Android continued to do well, WP8 grows substantially, and iPhone ends up in fourth place in 3-4 years. As I said, not expected, but they'd love it. They hate Apple. And apparently they are not alone in the cell industry. I think it's only a matter of time before the carriers feel able to make demands of Apple and, if Apple does not comply and allow iPhone to be treated just like any other phone then they'll get dropped. Apple is in a position of strength right now, but the Galaxy S3 showed it is possible to beat them head to head. Verizon wants to see more of that.
    Still doesn't say anything positive towards the consumer with verizon. And lack of a 920 type phone doesn't help. They were a possibility with the sprint contract being up. But from what I've read in this thread and again lack of 920, don't think they'll be an option for me. But I'm glad they are getting some WP8 options for those that are on verizon. Hopefully it will help the brand grow.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie5552 View Post
    Ok Honestabebread you're starting to win me over I just still on the edge. So I'm just wondering what you think makes the 8x so good?
    Sure, it's not as good on paper as the 920. However, I find the sleek body design to be a massive one-upper. I've carried phones as thick as the Lumia 920 and hated it. I realize that the 8X is only a hair thinner, but the tapered edges really make a difference. I did not like the design of the Lumia 900 in practice (loved how it looked in pictures). The 8X feels no thicker than my Droid Razr because the edges are the same thickness as the Razr and the back fills your hand perfectly.

It really just depends on YOUR needs. For instance, I'm not an app or camera person. I want a phone that is well built and feels good in the hand, has a good screen, and at least 16GB of internal storage. I have very modest expectations and during my 4 hours of hands-on time with the 8X, I was ready to leave with it and never look back. I had my tiles all laid out how I wanted, it was MY PHONE before I left.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    Sure, it's not as good on paper as the 920. However, I find the sleek body design to be a massive one-upper. I've carried phones as thick as the Lumia 920 and hated it. I realize that the 8X is only a hair thinner, but the tapered edges really make a difference. I did not like the design of the Lumia 900 in practice (loved how it looked in pictures). The 8X feels no thicker than my Droid Razr because the edges are the same thickness as the Razr and the back fills your hand perfectly.

It really just depends on YOUR needs. For instance, I'm not an app or camera person. I want a phone that is well built and feels good in the hand, has a good screen, and at least 16GB of internal storage. I have very modest expectations and during my 4 hours of hands-on time with the 8X, I was ready to leave with it and never look back. I had my tiles all laid out how I wanted, it was MY PHONE before I left.
    I actually like the look of the 8x from pictures and yes it doesn't have the nokia apps, but if the camera is anything like in the one series it is plenty good for what I do. I am def going to look into it and play with one in store once it releases.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Yeah the techie in me sees the spec sheet and says (on paper) the 920 beats the 8x hands down. Therefore I want the 920. But when I really start to think about it I'm not really that big into apps. I use my phone to text and look up windows phone news, take some pictures of my kids and that's about it. I do use it for maps but I don't live in a big city so I don't need an awesome mapping program and from the sounds of it all wp8 phones will have Nokia maps so they're even there. So another question I guess I have is that the 8x looks tall and skinny where as the 920 and 822 looked more wider. So my question is did the 8x feel way skinny? Also Mr. MacPhisto you mentioned BB10 so have anyone on Verizon get a chance to see one in person? My gf really liked the BB storm but went to the iPhone 4 and never really liked it so I'm going to get her the BB10 phone that comes to Verizon and I was just wondering about personal experiences.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i don't know how many of the exclusive apps i would use, either....i have almost never used my current phone as a GPS while driving, i am already a pretty satisfied Spotify subscriber, and the area i live in is pretty small, so City Lens is pretty useless here...

but....

it is having the option to use those apps that keeps me wanting/pining for the 920. i do get out and roam from time to time, so some of those apps might come in handy, but there are alternatives that would probably do just fine.

besides the apps, it is the camera that i keep coming back to. i did look around on the web for some sample images from the One X, which i think has the same camera that will be in the 8X, and it seemed to hold its own just fine against the iphone's camera, and even looked to be the 2nd best option behind the 920 when tested in low light situations (well, 3rd if you include the PureView 808...).

to get EITHER phone, i will have to leave my current carrier, which is a small regional carrier here in eastern KY...however, in this area, CDMA is king and ATT phones are pretty limited in where they work. so that means Verizon, and apparently, that means the 8X, at least for a while.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,525 Global Posts
    Honestabebread how's the reception on the 8X? I'm hoping it's as good or better than my rezound, if so I'll be very pleased with it. If it's like the Trophy I'll have to pass.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I'm curious about reception too that and battery life. Honestabbread how'd the battery hold up in your 4 hours of training?

Will the 8x do voice and data at the same time??

Global Posts
    1,793 Global Posts
    Yeah. Its 16GB with about 11 left after the OS, Verizons demo content, demo pictures and vidoes, etc. Id guess about 13 available to the user on the retail models
    I was thinking I might like the 8X but, with only 16gb and no upgrade path, I guess I wont be getting one of them. My Trophy has 16gb and I'm always removing stuff to make room for new stuff.

I'm not going to sign a 2 year contract when I am already out of space... Where's the high end HTC device ?
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    My DM got to field test the 8X and 822, and he said the 8X was comparable to his Razr MAXX but the Nokia was far and away the best reception of any phone.

As for battery, I used about 40% in the 4 hours but you have to remember that store demo mode was on, which drains a phone quickly. And I was watching a bunch of trailers to see that amazing screen work its magic.
    Thanked by: