Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Here's my problem...

I'm due for a hardware upgrade, but the more time that has passed since the handsets were introduced, the less excited I'm getting to upgrade.

I might just grab the 7.8 update and hold out for 2nd gen devices. We all saw what happened with the Mango handsets (Titan/Titan II).

It feels more and more to me like HTC hasn't shown their high end phone yet and there is a rumor out there that Microsoft will be releasing their own 'Surface Phone' in early 2013.

Microsoft working on its own Windows Phone 8 smartphone? | Mobile content industry news | Mobile Entertainment

For those two reasons alone, I'm more inclined to wait it out a bit.

Anyone else feeling the same way, or is it just me???

Global Posts
    842 Global Posts
    newer versions will always keep coming. I don't see any gen 2 devices until at least summer 2013.

Global Posts
    2,333 Global Posts
    Nope, jumping on the 920 as soon as I can.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Considering the fact that I sold my Android device and am stuck using a 4 year old flip phone, I'll be jumping to WP8 as soon as the devices show up on Verizon, preferably the 920.

WP8 devices are a big step up from WP7.8 only devices so I will be upgrading immediately. I have been very pleased with my Samsung Focus for almost 2 years, and anticipate being please with my Lumia 920 for the next 2 years. I agree that some changes seem incremental and unnecessary, but that's not the case with these first gen WP8 phones.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    OP, I know exactly how you feel. When HTC and Nokia announced their new devices, I was sure that I would use my upgrade (which is available now) on a WP8 device. As time goes by, I get less excited and interested in them though. I'd also like to wait a bit to see how WP8 plays out before committing to the platform. I may use my upgrade on the next Android Nexus device and just buy a second-gen WP8 device off contract when they're released. I do have high hopes for the platform and look forward to jumping in someday in the near-ish future. :)

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    Waiting and glad. My upgrade is really about a year from now. None of the 1st gen devices are that wonderful to me. Favorite is probably the Ativ. Not the greatest features but love the screen size and dimensions. Would get the 920 with its awesome camera, but its too thick and heavy. Dont care what the apologists think about weight being trivial and thickness not being a big deal. 808 is only 1.2mm thicker. 920 is 3mm thicker than the iphone5. That is ridiculous, sorry.
    I'm lucky in the sense that I can go 920 at launch and get whatever Gen-2 option comes out in the spring/summer too. As an IT guy, I have the luxury of being able to get the latest-greatest if I want it bad enough.

I am simply bored with ios and android. The wp8 seems to be a good alternative to keep me occupied for a while. I will get a 920 as soon as possible. 2nd gen wp device or not will have to depend on the experience I get from the 920...
    cedarlog and hc_1540 like this.
    Will make my decision after seeing and trying out the ATIV and the 920. I love that I do not have to make a decision because I still enjoy my Focus S and the 7.8 upgrade will at least make it feel fresh if I am not enthralled by my top two choices. I am actually truly excited for the 920. I love my "S" enough to keep the ATIV in the conversation (plus I love the classy look in pictures, at least).

But a physical keyboard option and the idea of a stronger device in the summer really appeals to me. Honestly, I am interested in seeing the BB10 devices in Jan/Feb as well, mostly out of morbid curiosity. The previews are interesting. I do not think it will sway me from WP8, but I might just give it the extra three months or so to be sure.

I have no problem waiting. We will see. It is a fun decision to make!!
    "Life is hard. But it is harder when you are stupid."
    -John Wayne
    Developer

Global Posts
    3,760 Global Posts
    Depends, my upgrade isn't until March.. If something way better is announced, say at CES, I might wait for 2nd Gen. Just depends on what's available and how far out stuff is.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8), Meme 8 Ball (WP8)

Global Posts
    2,725 Global Posts
    Even though I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next fall, I would opt out even if I had the choice to upgrade. The one that calls to me look wise is the 8x.
    Nokia Lumia 1020 owner here...

My upgrade isn't until Nov. 2013. Unless WP8 comes out with some unannounced must have feature that I can't live without I'm definitely waiting for the second wave. I'm hoping for an 808+920 ultimate camera phone in wave 2. Anyway, with the 7.8 upgrade I still feel like my Lumia 900 will be great. I can live without all the features they've announced for WP8 that is not in the W7.8 update.
    tayfelix likes this.

Global Posts
    2,182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_w_7 View Post
    Here's my problem...

I'm due for a hardware upgrade, but the more time that has passed since the handsets were introduced, the less excited I'm getting to upgrade.

I might just grab the 7.8 update and hold out for 2nd gen devices. We all saw what happened with the Mango handsets (Titan/Titan II).

It feels more and more to me like HTC hasn't shown their high end phone yet and there is a rumor out there that Microsoft will be releasing their own 'Surface Phone' in early 2013.

Microsoft working on its own Windows Phone 8 smartphone? | Mobile content industry news | Mobile Entertainment

For those two reasons alone, I'm more inclined to wait it out a bit.

Anyone else feeling the same way, or is it just me???
    Dont hold your breath on MS releasing a surface phone that would probably cause a great deal of harm to relations with Nokia unless they actually manufacture it, and even then that Nokia did it would ruffle feathers of HTC and other oems.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

It makes financial sense to upgrade if you're with a major US carrier.

The phone subsidy is built into the monthly rates. But even if you don't subsidize a phone, you still pay the subsidized rates.

So when you don't upgrade, you're just basically paying extra money without receiving any benefit.
    Thanked by:
    tampacoder likes this.

I will for the only thing holding me back is im due for an upgrade 1 year starting yesterday. Otherwise I would jump on the WP8/ Lumia 920 bandwagon ASAP

No matter when you buy your phone, there will be something cooler out in 6-12 months. No way around that. So I'm upgrading as soon as I'm due for an upgrade (March 2013).
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtext View Post
    My upgrade isn't until Nov. 2013. Unless WP8 comes out with some unannounced must have feature that I can't live without I'm definitely waiting for the second wave. I'm hoping for an 808+920 ultimate camera phone in wave 2. Anyway, with the 7.8 upgrade I still feel like my Lumia 900 will be great. I can live without all the features they've announced for WP8 that is not in the W7.8 update.
    I'm thinking exactly the same thing. From what I've seen wp8 doesn't add much. I'm sure it will with updates though and by then new hardware will be out. I've been burned by early adoption before.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I waiting for a phone with a qwerty side sliding keyboard. I hope it come out when ever and they dont release the phones in waves. I hope they just keep cranking them out.

Switching from iPhone so I'll take what's available now. Leaning 920, but no decision until I see all up close.

IF MSFT comes out with their own handset, no guarantees they learned all they needed to from last time around- I'd be interested in their hardware maybe next time around once I'm sure they did it right this time....

Posted from My Mobile App
    I'm sticking with my L710 at least until next spring, maybe even the fall. My carrier (Mobilicity in Canada) doesn't give subsidies in order to keep the monthly fees dirt cheap, so I have to buy my phones outright. I'm looking for mid-range phone at a good price so I don't feel bad about buying a new phone more frequently and I don't feel bad when I drop it accidently and the edges get a little scratched. Plus I prefer a "small" phone with a screen of 3.7-4 inches.

Yes, the new WP8 phones will look great, and the L820 and WP 8S will hopefully be priced aggressively. But nothing about them hardware-wise is compelling enough for me to replace my L710, and there are no WP8-only apps out yet. I love the L920's camera, but the unsubsidized price will probably be $500+ and they probably won't make a version that is compatible with Mobilicity (which uses the same 3G bands as T-Mobile).

So I'll sit back, wait for the WP8 ecosystem to grow, and wait for the L920's Pureview camera to trickle down to the next gen mid-range devices (Lumia 830?).
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_w_7 View Post
    Hey Steve, this is what I think:

If you aren't excited about any of the features shipping with the OS, then you really don't need to rush. Until apps come out that make use of the better WP8 hardware you won't be missing anything. Check up on WP8 apps every one or two months and make your decisions based on what you see and like in the marketplace.

The rumor that Microsoft will be releasing their own Surface Phone is BS. Waiting for this is a waste of time. What we can expect in early 2013 is the Surface Pro, but that isn't related to WP8.

HTC hasn't released their flagship device yet, and Nokia is still working on their mid-range devices. Both are due in early 2013, but don't expect any major changes in core hardware... different screen sizes, flash card support, different battery sizes... that sort of thing.

I got a Lumia 920 now, as I'm excited about the software and the OS, but waiting certainly isn't wrong either.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diaspar View Post
    I am simply bored with ios and android.
    You can't exactly get bored of Android, you can always customize it and completely change it to your liking.

On the other hand, I could see you getting bored of its constant problems and software bugs ;)

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I'm going to try and make my Lumia 900 last until generation 2. Still a nice phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Uh I think these devices would be considered 3rd Gen if you ask me..

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    EvanKr likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast